timing

matildanme

On Sunday I was quilting a panto when I hit a seam which caused the needle to break. I replaced the needle and the new needle near bent over itself when I tried to bring up the bobbin thread. I figured out that the timing was out.

OK...I panic...then think to self "how hard can this be"? DH was away fishing (ain't that always the way) so with the aid of the manuals and video I managed to fix the timing all by myself! I had to move the hook back a smidge as somehow it had moved forward. It took some doing, but I did it. Sometimes I surprise myself , I'm still a little shell shocked.

I never want to go there again so here's my question.....How do I avoid this situation.

I have broken 2 needles in this fashion, causing damage to the quilt as the broken needle "forks" along untill I manage to turn off the machine. Am I just unlucky or is there anything that can prevent this from happening. It's scary!

I use the recomended 4.0 needles and I use a fresh needle with each quilt.

Thanks in advance for your time

Cheers

Satu

Hi Satu,

First, let me say that you are quite the tech. Awesome!

I have broken needles before but thank God, have not damaged a customer quit in the process.

Most of the time when my needle jams and has to be replaced, I have to turn off my machine and turn the flywheel to get the bent/burred/broken needle out. I always replace the needle even if it looks OK. You can't always see burrs on the point but you can usually feel it if you rub it across you finger from all angles.

I have jammed it so bad and had to have the hook replaced once and the hook burrs buffed out another time. I was told that I was probably moving too fast in stitch regulated mode. Since then, I have slowed down a bit and that seems to work for me. Keep in mind that I have an Intellistitch for my stitch regulator.

I'll be watcing to see what other responses you get. This forum is so great. You an learn so much from other folks.

Satu,

I'm so proud of you for managing to re-time your machine! I'm sure you were very stressed, but you did it!!

Unfortunately, there's really not a lot you can do "machine-wise" to avoid having bulky seams destroy your needle, especially when working from the pantograph side. Here are a few suggestions to help you through those rough spots:

[*] Switch to a 4.5 or 5.0 needle when the quilt's bulky seams will pose a problem from the pantograph side. Tell the client that the intersections of the piecing will pose a problem with the needle, and the larger size is necessary.

[*] Educate the client about the bulky seams before you load the quilt, and let her know that the machine's needle may not be able to penetrate the fabric in those areas. Tell her that a broken needle is a possibility, and that a tear could be the result.

[*] Slightly raise the hopping foot so that it will jump up on top of those bulky seams when it meets them, holding them in place while giving the needle a chance to penetrate the fabric (use the larger needle as well). Be sure to put the foot back to its "one business card" clearance when you finish.

[*] Don't bother doing a pantograph on quilts with bulky seams (my favorite solution!). Tell the customer that the risks of a broken needle are too great (and tell her WHY), and that an overall freehand design from the front of the machine is much more practical. You can visually avoid the bulky intersections when you complete the design from the front as opposed to no control of the design's placement from the back.

[*] Move slowly to give the needle a chance to penetrate thick areas without bending (difficult to do with some patterns).

Good luck! Let's hope you don't have to deal with that again!

Dawn

Linda and Dawn,

Thanks so very much for your valuable advice, it has all been taken onboard.

I'm rather pleased with my efforts too ;)

I will slow down when doing pantos and when I place my next thread order I'll get some larger needles too. I've not raised the hopping foot before so that can be another exciting adventure in my longarm career!

I wonder if stitch length has any effect?

I understand that the needle breaks at its weakest point....Shame it has to be at the eye where it can cause the most damage!

Thanks again, you ladies are magic :)

Have a great day

Satu

Great job Satu. Glad you brought this up. My machine is acting goofy, having a hard time with seams on the quilt I am doing now, and they are not bulky. Also, my bobbin keeps breaking/backlashing/making a funny knotting like thing where it breaks on the quilt. I just changed the bobbin case - hope that is all it is. I have never timed my machine myself, don't have a video or a manual - except the one that came with the machine about 3 years ago - before the new and improved manual. I took a maintenance class a few years ago and still have my notes, but I'm hoping I don't need to read them. REALLY don't want to mess with the timing thing.

Mary Beth

Archived