New Customer

Mary Beth

I have a new customer who dropped off a couple of quilts yesterday. One is a "Friendship Garden" I have posted a picture. Just wondering if you have ideas. I have a few, but would like more input. She doesn't want McTavishing...good thing if you took a look at my "bird of paradise" in a previous post. She wants taditional things so I am guessing cross hatching - I get my CL tomorrow...yippee and I was thinking of maybe doing a double line something in the background. Has anyone done this one??

post--13461898218906_thumb.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just let me add...this is a traditional type top...just applique (I say just...I don't do it and I admire anyone who does). I think I am freaking out becasue I know it is going into a show and this woman pieces for Jo Morton and has designed patterns for that line...Yikes...I hope I paid attention at MQS!

Hi Mary Beth,

I think your instinct with the diagonal lines is a good one for this quilt. The applique is really the important part, and that's what should stand out.

Since some of the applique blocks are more intense than others, you won't need a lot of background quilting. The sashing is perfect to make the cross-hatching an easy job. If she's done a decent job at construction, all you have to do is use a ruler and go diagonally from where each sashing half-square triangle meets the block. They are spaced evenly, so your cross hatching will be, too! The distance should also be about right for the quilt.

With this particular sashing, if cross hatching is done and is done accurately in the block (e.g. measured and marked) but the lines don't match up with the sashing pieces, it can look not so hot. Keep that in mind if you try the double line cross hatching.

I'd SID around all the patches in the sashes as well as the block seams, then go around the applique to anchor it, and finally add the cross hatching last. In the swag border, either do straight "piano key" line quilting out from each seam line on the sashing, or do some feathers that fit above and below the swags (be sure to stabilize the applique in the border first, too.)

Did the piecer offer any objection to quilting ON the applique? A couple of larger applique pieces would definitely benefit from quilting, such as the pot, stars, and even the swag pieces.

On the top and bottom center wreaths, you could quilt a small shape inside the wreath before cross hatching, such as a flower from another block. This would give those two open spaces more interest instead of the plain cross hatching running through.

Have fun--you'll do great!

Dawn

Dawn....you know me...you know that my knees are knocking - can you hear them? I know I can do this...thank you for your words of wisdom, I am printing this out and pinning it to the quilt so when I get to that one, I'm ready.

thank you both for your words of encouragement.

Since I am a total newbie at this - I have a question. I have heard that we never quilt over applique (unless the customer wants to) but around it. That applique is sacred. Is this mostly the case? Just curious, as I love to machine applique and I guess I just go around mine when I machine quilt it.

I think it depends on the piecer and the quilter. Personally, it is sacred. I will quilt in the applique if it enhances the overall piece, like a vein in a leaf. But normally I stitch around it.

I took at class at MQS from Edie McGinnis - she writes most of the book on the Kansas City Star Blocks....the class was on quilting vintage quilts. She discussed quilting as they would have quilted them back when they were made. Then she showed a PowerPoint presentation and they quilted right over the applique. I was blown away, and even asked if it was okay to do that. She said absolutely....

Go figure.

I have a question.......................why is the applique so "sacred"! I have never given a thought to quilting over applique and do it all the time. I will put veins in leaves if there is a largish space or add other definition.............to me not quilting in applique when there are large spaces will make that area poofey and actually it will look bad. A little quilting in the applique looks stunnng when it is done right! Many times if there are different shapes together then just going in the ditch around them is all that is needed.

Why leave -part of the quilt unquilted?

oh I agree, sometime you need to enhance the applique by putting something in like a vein...I thought I said that, but maybe I was thinking faster than I type :P believe it or not that happens!! I do agree, sometimes you need to stitch on the applique...i don't know why I think it is sacred, maybe because I can't do it...

Mary Beth!!!!!! Girl, don't make me fly down there and swack you upside the head!! ;) I've always wanted to visit KC, MO, but don't make me do it like this...

Remember these words:

YOU can do this.

You CAN do this.

You can DO this.

You can do THIS.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! :)

OK, how many other ways is there to say this sentence? I've seen your quilting skills and you do beautiful work.

Now...git bizzzzzaaay!

Dawn,

Its so good to have you on this site so much more now. I learn so much everytime you post. I find that I print out your posts and stick them in my notebook almost everytime.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, and thank you to APQS for recognizing how much we need your talent and teaching ability on this site.

Phyllis

I like Dawn's ideas. And cross-hatching is such a classy background. I'm a scaredy-cat when it comes to applique, too. I think I just respect the amount of time and energy that I know goes into these pieces. I agree that a small amount of quilting to "nail down" the applique is a good idea.

I have actually seen some quilts where the cross-hatching plowed right thru the applique. That is just not right.

MB - you are going to do fine with this. Be sure to post a photo so we can all see what you've done.

Hi,

I have already posted this in another post, but thought that

it is important for this discussion as well.

You can do crosshatching from the front with the CL Large Crosshatch template.

The APQS machines have a 3 hole thread guide right above the stylus. Tie a string under the knob and then thru the guide and over the front handle.

You may use a small piece of tape to stop the string loop from dropping down over the stylus.

Then position the string over the knob, so that it is in an indentation, and near to a position that the stylus drops back into the slot. Tape over top of the string in that position.

Then, put the string over the handle and tie a big nut to the end (not a Brazil nut) or, enough weight to give good control. Then, at the back of the table, while pulling up on the string, unscrewed the handle a bit, so that the stylus pin will always fall back into the slot, if pulled up too much.

Of you want a perminent setup, then drill a small hole in the right spot on the outside of the knob. then put the string thru and tie a knot around the outside.

To raise the stylus, give a little tug, and then let go as it rides on the template. It will fall back into the next groove, and you will be ready to do the next line. It has been used and works. I am sure when you take some string and look over the machine, you will see the system better.

Cheers,

Michael

"Michael and Kay,

This is June Giles. I just wanted to thank you for the tip of putting a string on the stylus while I'm trying to re-position from the front. That is working really well. As I'm doing crosshatching on applique and having to jump over the applique. The quilt is coming out beautiful. It is a time consuming quilt no matter how I do it.. The string thing cut down some time and steps."

Phyllis,

You're a sweetie with such nice comments! I'm enjoying doing more on the "education" front. Now if I can just learn how to say "no" to customers a little more often like I do to my kids, life would be good!

Just to jump in on the conversation about quilting on the applique with a few thoughts:

[*] Coming from the "judge's" perspective, we have set a standard that the quilting density must be "even". That means if the quilt is heavily background-quilted, such as with stippling or McTavishing, then the applique also needs to have quilting on it to balance the density.

[*] From the "usability" perspective, large areas of applique that are not secured with quilting will tend to wear much more quickly than other areas of the quilt. The applique layer slides around on the batting or the quilt top (if the piecer did not trim away the under layer). This friction causes those applique patches to fray and separate. There is also a greater risk that the applique will pull loose.

[*] From the "artistic" perspective, the detail that can be added with simple quilting lines in flower petals, leaves, etc. can add realism and drama to the quilt.

[*] From the "dimensional" perspective, many piecers don't want quilting on their applique so that it will "poof out" or look more 3-D. What they don't realize is that without some accent quilting on the applique, it just looks like another layer of fabric on top of their quilt. What gives it the "3-D" look is the quilting between the flower petals, the small veins in the leaves, and so forth. The eye has to have areas that appear recessed as well as areas that seem to protrude from the quilt to interpret those 3-D images.

It's like trying to do trapunto. Imagine using trapunto on a feathered circular wreath, but only stitching around the perimeter of the wreath. Without the stitching that defines each feather it would just look like a blob (very technical quilting term:))

[*] Lastly, from the "customer" perspective, even if I've explained all of the above, she still gets to make the final decision. And if she doesn't want me to stitch on the applique, I won't. But I think she is missing out:).

I stitch in, around and over applique all the time. Usually, the areas between applique pieces are done with invisible thread, and areas on top of the applique are done with either matching color thread or invisible. Lots of work? Yup. But in my opinion, it sure makes that quilt shine.

Keep up the great quilting!

Dawn

Guest JaneAnnHouser

Mary Beth....I would want to know if you can quilt OVER the applique pieces. I like Dawn idea of crosshatching in the border and then I would lay a soft, undulating feather OVER the 1/2 square triangle sashing. I would use the Circle Lord giant crosshatching template in SOME of the blocks and butt the crosshatching up against the feathers. I don't like to use crosshatcing in a static way...ie, right up against the pieced motifs. It's too rigid for my taste. If you want to see how I use my Circle Lord, go to my Webshots site at http://community.webshots.com/user/janeannhouser . I just finished a penguin quilt in this style. Also look at the Circle Lord Quilting Album for 2006. Hope this helps!

Hi Jane Ann

Granted, I don't always follow the forum like I should, but I have missed seeing your beautiful work. I have now added your webshots page to my favorites on the new computer so I can keep up with you. Funny - I have the pattern for the penguins and plan on making it for our daughter's new son. (already made him a duckie quilt, but Lara does like penguins!) Your quilting is absolutely wonderful and I am excited to see it again. We are so lucky to have people like you and Dawn to teach and inspire us!

Joann

Independence, MO

MaryBeth

I just picked up this exact same quilt from a LQS owner on Thursday and she showed me the book where she got the pattern from. The blocks and sashing were all echo quilted. Can't remember about the sashing as she didn't want this quilted on her sample. I thought this might help as if your customer got this from the same book she might have liked the quilting also.

My cust only wants this quilted a little she wants the applique outlined and not echo'd though I have told her I will have to echo a little in the centre of the circle applique squares as it will be too big an area not quilted. In the borders she has requested a loopy meander. So quite a simple quilting project.

Thanks Fernview Cottage Aust!! My customer did mention echo in the border...but then said, or whatever you think...thankfully, because I need practice on echo, it just doesn't look right when I get finished with it. I like the piano key border idea, I think I will go with that one for sure. Post pictures when you are finished, I would love to see what you come up with.

Thanks,

Mary Beth

Archived