New Customer

Mary Beth

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know Mary Beth, I too hate it when Shana disapears....she does that regularlly...so I guess we need to keep tabs on her.

I hope you got all the nasty thread out...I hate when I do that, but it does happen....you think its just the right one, you test it and retest it with others and then @#$! it just doesn't work and you have two rows in and its just gotta come out. Good luck....hope it didn't take your whole weekend up.

Shana is back!! She is magic ;)

Bonnie, I haven't even touched that quilt this weekend. Saturday I was stressed to the max...don't know why...but thought it would be best to stay away from the quilt. Then today I have been grocery shopping; canned 7 pints of sweet pickle relish; skinned a gallon of tomatoes and put them in the freezer; cooking dinner now; and will can some Chow-Chow after dinner. So much for quilting.

Hey! My face came and went and came back again, and I wasn't even here on the chat board the entire day. Whazzup wit daat???? I've been away from home & the computer. Is that spooky or whaaat?

I've been gone all day today (Sunday) hangin' wit my home girls in beautiful Delta Junction (my quilt guild members) and this weekend was their town's annual state fair. I always volunteer to spend the day on Sunday each year to work the quilt show and tear down everything afterward. It was a beautiful warm, sunny day, the quilts were very very pretty and best of all, I got to see all my lovely lady friends of the guild.

Oh, and on my drive down there this morning, (80 miles) I saw six moose in different spots along the way feeding along the road. I love moose, and I want them to eat their munchies, but I don't like them to hit my car and get the crunchies. So far, no moose were hit and all is well. I am back home again. It was a wonderful day.

OK enough yammering about my day, I have been thinking about you and your quilt project, Mary Beth. Oh honey, please don't stress too much about this quilt. You don't give yourself enough credit. You are a wonderful, talented quilter. Some how I have a hunch that your customer is going to be so pleased with it. Make it fun, not a burden and it will be fun.

PS: All your talk about canning pickle relish & tomatoes and strawberry rhubarb pie has got me hungry. So, when is supper time? Can I drop by???

(((consider yourself squeezed by me))) Hope Monday is a better day, MB.

Shana

Thanks Shana....hugs are a good thing.

I'm going home after work today and ripping out what I have done so far.. and starting again with a different color thread. The one I am using is just a tiny bit too dark and it really shows up. Her background fabrics are just slightly different in each block, so I think that is the problem. There is not much to take out so it won't take long, then I will get started again.

Supper is at whatever time it gets on the table...but you are more than welcome to drop in anytime ;)

The first block is a nightmare...but the next two blocks on that row look pretty good. I have ripped out so much on the first block, and now I have to do it again. I don't know if I will ever get to roll the quilt to finish the botton half of each block - before I go on to the next row. Can't imagine quiltng this quilt wiht a smaller machine - whew..you girls that do that rock!!

I am using a black light pencil that I bought at MQS to mark the quilt - love it. It is suppose to come off by vacuuming the area....we will see. I hope that works, cause I like this pencil. If it does I am ordering more. Anyway, I will post pictures.

Have you all ever used the black light pencils, Hidden Glow #111 Green a PMC (printed on the pencil)? Wow, I think I like it. I am working in the dark all the time, which is nothing unusual :D and the quilt glows like DNA on CSI. It is the strangest thing. There are only 2 little problems that I have found so far. First, I marked the crosshatch lines in the wrong places - because her little half square border thing isn't exact, so that caused some problems on the first block. And second, when I tried to remove the marks they wouldn't come off. It says to vacuum them off and that didn't work so I used a new toothbrush on the lines and they didn't budge. However, when I paniced and turned the light on - ta da- no marks on the quilt. Now, if this quilt show is not held under black lights we are going to be cookin ;)

Mary Beth,

It always seems to me that the top border(s) and the first row of squares is the hardest. Once I get those figured out things usually flow pretty well. I just spent two days working on one border. I ripped out everything I did yesterday, changed threads, and changed designs. It took me fifteen minutes to re-stitch it and I like it so much better. I start border number two tomorrow. I think I have it figured out. There is a third border before I get to the blocks. This customer never has fewer than three borders.

Now you know why I complain about having to roll blocks back and forth to finish them.

I bet that quilt will be gorgeous when finished. I can't wait to see.

Phyllis

I can't wait to see it either, and I would like seeing it more if someone else were doing it ;) Had to do a self talk today. That little devil on one shoulder kept saying..."she's going to hate this', "you'll never work in this town again", etc. Then then angel on the other shoulder said, "hold up a minute bub - turn on the lights!" and we did, and she was right. You don't think this black light pencil emits fumes do you? :P

Here it goes...I hate crosshatching!! These blocks are so big, and I am tring to keep the 45 degree on the seam of the block and the sashing....the center line never matches. I have to roll the quilt back and forth to try to see if I am lined up....then I have 14 blacklight marks and I have no idea which one to try to connect. GRRR...

I took today off work just to work on this stupid quilt and I feel like I am getting no where. Then the customer called yesterday to see how it is coming.... "Oh, fine" I said....GRRR!! She told me that she has decided to put both quilts that she left here in the show....that means I have another pain in th butt coming right after this one.

I vow to never do crosshatching again...I will send the customer to someone else. I can't stand this....

Thank you :)

Oh, Mary, I feel your pain! It seems like it should be so easy to do, and yet is one of the most difficult things to do well.

Maybe its time to step away from the quilt and just breathe. Sometimes I have to tell myself to just walk away. We get so wound up in these things that our stress levels just make it more difficult.

Sending you a hug.

Phyllis

Thanks you guys... I did step away from the quilt. I kept fighting the urge to go get something sinfully fatting to eat....just my little way of handling stress...I settled for a low fat yougart...blah...not at all what I had in mind.

I have not looked at the quilt yet...I am going to surf the internet, another stress buster...I may go look at my garden - even though the heat index is well over 100 today...maybe I'll pass out and won't have to look at the quilt again today :o Hey, there's an idea!!

• 2 years later...

HI! Well, I know this thread is a couple of years old! But I was going through my favorites and came upon it.... Mary Beth, did you ever finish this quilt? do you have pictures? I would love to see them. I have one coming this fall that will be similar! a boston album. I have NO CLUE how to quilt it! thanks! linda

Linda, Linda....

Okay, just so you all know...I didn't pay her to bring this one back to the top :P:D:P;)

It just so happens I did finish this quilt....

2217530090090312137S425x425Q85.jpg

2524105540090312137S425x425Q85.jpg

This was pre Circle Lord cross hatch template :D

2763542590090312137S425x425Q85.jpg

2013886700090312137S425x425Q85.jpg

This was my one claim to fame...this quilt went to Paducah!!

When I got the call from the quilt maker...the first person I called was Dawn Cavanaugh...she was my very first teacher and I considered her my mentor...she sent me a very encouraging message to help boost my confidence so she had to be the first person I called. She didn't answer. She told me later that she looked in her fridge and everthing was green so she went out to lunch that day :D:P:D (Did I say that I am the self appointed president of the Dawn Cavanaugh fan club? Beth Durand and I are self proclaimed Dawn stalkers).

Linda, thank you so much for letting me relive that moment :D:cool:

Originally posted by Mary Beth

Okay, I have edited one of my previous posts to protect the innocent...let's just say - her piecing ain't what it's cracked up to be!!

MB,you crack me up. I just read this whole thread and am blown away by the detail and encouragement you were given. Wow, what a project. But in the end, "It went to Paducah!" WOW WOW and More WOW. I guess her piecing wasn't so bad after all?

Thanks for bringing it back to the top. Dawn is so generous and yes, this will be printed and in my notebook too.

Hope you're feeling better, MB.

Archived