Moving the Machine

quiltingtina

Hi all. Well, after much consideration, we have decided to move the Millenium from the studio into the house. I will still use my studio space, but my boys don't let me get up there as much as I need to, and they don't always cooperate when we all go up.

I was wondering if anyone who has relocated their machine had any advice or tips.

I'm so excited to have my machine closer to me, so I can use it any time, not just when hubby is home to watch the boys.

Thanks in advance!

I closed my studio and moved my machine to my house about 14 months before I moved out to the east coast....My wise thinking was that I would get so much more done with it being right there in my livingroom and I would'nt even have to get dressed if I didn't want to. I WAS SO WRONG....I found myself getting sidetracked way more than when I had my space. I found myself fixing meals when I should have been quilting, something we shared before....I even found myself in front of the TV when the news or a HBO movie of interest came one.

I had a TV at the studio as well (not cable), but I never really watched it unless it was the news or when Siana would come stick in a movie. Just be careful of little sidetracks and stay focused...I didn't and I really had a hard time breaking the habit when I noticed it.

Bonnie, my studio is about 100 feet uphill, and no plumbing. Not a problem for me but with my 2 little ones, it gets difficult. After I take up toys, snacks, and then lug up the little one (all 26 pounds of him), then we have to go back to the house for potty. I spend way too much time going up and down that hill! I find that I get about 15 minutes of quilting done for every hour the boys are with me. It just seems useless.

Naptime doesn't work as time for me to work because the monitor goes out of range plus it is hard to hear over the machine, and it is just a bit too far away to leave them. Ditto for nighttime. DH works and can be home at 10pm or midnight, we never know. I'm a night person, but these boys are starting to wear me out, so staying up later is getting harder....I've still got to get up in the morning!

My plan is that I can quilt with the machine in the house during naptime and after bedtime. Maybe the boys would even let me get some work done some times when they are awake too.

Either way, I need to get to the machine more. I've had it since September 2006, and I'm still learning, but the way it is now, I just can't even get to the machine, much less spend any time practicing.

It will only be temporary, but I think it will be worth it.

Mary Beth, I'm going to leave most of the junk in the studio. I can pop up there fast. When you moved yours, how far did you break it down?

We are moving it this weekend. Now all I have to do is figure out if it is going to the livingroom, diningroom, or den. Decisions, decisions....

Thanks!

Oh, Tina, I totally hear you....when my grand-babies were small they would come visit at the studio when their mom ran errands....I might as well have gone to their house, nothing gets done. But that was more of a problem because it wasn't home to them and they would get into everything or there were a zillion questions, of "What's That"?

When I broke mine down I had to move it several miles and the table wouldn't fit into the trailer as a whole so the legs came off and the head went into the box for the move, but where you are carrying it only about 100 feet you might be able to do it in a bigger chunk than I was able to. With enough hands you shouldn't have to much trouble.

My biggest concern for you was not to get into what I did....I kept getting sidetracked, but where its always been at your house you shouldn't see any difference other than a bit more quilting done as your boys won't be giving you so much hassles. I totally understand you needs and can see why you need to move it down the hill.

Tina,

We took the legs off, took the lexon (sp?) off, and of course the machine head. Left the aluminum part together (with the tube like cross bars). The really tricky part was the stairs. We have a bend in our stairs, but the celing is very high, we got the table part lodged at one point and I thought DH would have a stroke. Fortunatly it was his end that put a gash in the wall :) Not mine :cool: Although, he might say it was something I did that caused him to put the gash in the wall :mad: Anyway, it was very easy to move, put back together and level and I was back at it. Very smooth move - so to speak :P

Archived