Is it "OK" to have a little movement (play) in your wheels???

quiltmonkey

I like my machine to be loosey goosey and move without much effort (pinky quilting) LOL! I adjusted my wheels on the rails and also on the carriage so that they are about as loose as they can be. However, when doing this, I noticed there is some play (movement) in the wheels on the rails. Is it OK to have this movement? The offset bolts are lined up in the same positions and I tried quilting and it works just great, I like it, but I do notice a little wiggle/movement in there. Is this acceptable or should I tighten the wheels up. I want my wheels to be as loose as possible without causing an adverse affect. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Hey Shana,

You just want to be careful that you don't have too much play as that can be as bad as having the wheels too tight. When you do fast direction changes if it whips the lower carriage it can put the wheels on a bind rather that having them be smooth and follow your movement. I like to have the narrow part of the offset on those lower wheels at a position of around 9-10 o'clock if you pretend you are looking down at the face of a clock. You don't have a lot of wobble, but it still should be smooth and just glide when you move the machine. If it feels too stiff there then you can move it closer to 9 o'clock. You can just play around with it a little and see what you like. Let us know if you need any help! :)

Take care,

This is the thread I needed. Wheels!

I have never succeeded in adjusting my wheels correctly, so that the wheels turn easily by hand, and I suspect that is why my circles are square. I tried again just now, loosened them by moving the skinny side of the nuts to the 9 o'clock position. The wheels are easier to turn now except in one spot, where the drag is so bad they virtually lock up. It's very difficult to turn it past that spot, but once I get past the bad spot, they turn smoothly. I'm speaking of the wheels on the lower carriage at the front of the machine. The other wheels turn very smoothly and easily. Can wheels be defective? There is simply no position that I can put that nut that gets rid of the drag in the one spot on the wheels.

Hi Cathey

Your table might be sagging in the middle.

If your table is less than 5yrs old you will have long black tension bars running under the table top on both sides with bolts in the centre of each. Check that the table is level in the centre (back to front) if not adjust one of the bolts raising or lowering so that it is. I think it may be that the bolt on the front of the table needs raising a little

Good luck

sue in australia

Hi Shana;

I'm very much a newbie and had trouble adjusting my wheels. It seemed like they wouldn't loosen at all. I finally found a thread wrapped around the wheel in the front. When I removed that it was too loose and I readjusted everything. It's wonderful now. I don't have much play and it feels very smooth. My circles aren't square anymore.

Keep trying, Linda:D

Yeah, dratted hidden thread. It has happened to be before. It gets up above the wheels and wraps around the axle. Square circles is the first indicator. I have to get down on my hands and knees with flashlight and put my head down by each wheel to find the culprit.

Good luck. If it isn't thread, maybe its the level thing that Sue Morris spoke of.

Thanks, gals. I didn't explain very well. It isn't when I'm moving the machine, it's when I'm holding the machine still and turning the wheels by hand to see if they are turning smoothly and easily after I adjusted the wheel nut to 9 o'clock position. So it seems to me that the problem is the wheel, not the track. But I will also check for thread wrapped around the wheel.

Cathey, do you loosen the gold (bottom) nut before adjusting the cam nut? And then once you've got the cam in the position you want, do you re tighten the gold bottom nut? I use 9/16" and a 7/16" wrenches to do the adjusting top and bottom and that makes it easy peasy. :) (I'm not a mechanic, either but I got me my very own tool box and it holds all my handy dandy longarm maintenance tools in it and DH has strict orders to KEEP HIS GRUBBY PAWS OUTA MY TOOL BOX!...lol):P

Yes, Shana, that's how I adjust them too. I have a tool drawer, but I think I need a tool box too. :) What I really need is a BIGGER STUDIO! I pin basted a 70" square quilt on a 48" square table because that's all I have room for. I want a big 6' x 8' pinning table. But I LOVE MY ZIPPERS! I'll figure out the wheel thing ma?ana.

Archived