Teaching Videos or DVD's?

carmen

Since no one else has answered, here's my 2 cents. I got my machine in April 2006, and didn't get to take my beginner class until July 2006. During that time I did several charity quilts, learned lots, played more. I think the best thing that you can do is to throw something on there and quilt it. Don't worry about how it looks, just keep in mind that this is for you to learn, and it will help to keep someone warm someday. I gave mine to the local police, but the REALLY bad ones I gave to the animal shelter for dog/cat beds. They don't care, and it's something soft for them to sleep on.

Have a good time, and play!

Beth

There are a lot of great DVD's out. Karen McTavish, Linda Taylor and Pam Clarke have wonderful DVD's. Some are in conjunction with specific books. I know there are many other wonderful DVD's available by other quilt artist. The first thing I would do (hind site 20/20) is get used to the machine so the fear factor goes away. I found myself holding my breath everytime I started moving the machine, afraid of breaking a needle etc. Have a wonderful time learning your machine!

Guest Linda S

I've heard wonderful things about Dawn Ramirez's "Pajama Quilting for Newbies". I wasn't a newbie when it came out, so I didn't get it, but it got rave reviews. You might want to check it out.

Linda

Mindy Casperson has one that is aimed toward beginning longarmers. I haven't seen it but I have heard good things.

My DVD doesn't focus on the beginning elements of loading a quilt or doing a pantograph....but it has a lot of information

Just today Bonnie McCaffery uploaded a DVD that we filmed together at my house during Spring Market. This DVD clip shows how my tools can be used for piecing (a quick overview). My real DVD goes very in depth on how they are used for marking quilting and how to execute that quilting.

You can see the VidCast that Bonnie did at www.bonniemccaffery.com

Dear Carmen,

I would strongly recommend you in the first place a book from Catherine Olson "Breaking the code", a must for beginners;

Also Carol Thelen?s book "Long arm machine quilting": a great book for the beginner Long Arm quilter or people who don't have a long arm machine but are thinking of buying one. Even if you have been quilting for years, there is always something more to learn. Great details on maintaining machines but also on different quilting styles (I copied this review from Amazon since my broken English doesn?t allow me to write a good one).

"Professional machine quilting" from the same author focusses on the business side of quilting.

"The Ultimate guide to machine quilting" from Linda Taylor is also a wonderful resource.

As far as DVD is concerned, I treasure Mindy Caspersen?s DVDs:

- "I?ve got a long arm and I?m not afraid to use it" and Long armed and fabulous. The first one is a must for beginners, you could wait to buy the second one (also wonderful).

- Dawn Ramirez: A MUST as well. Her DVD "Pijama for quilters" is a great resource to start, I love it very much.

I also have the first season from Linda Taylor which is great but not for a beginner.

Best wishes,

Sonja, Cathey in AZ, Linda Steller, Renae in UT Thank You so much.

I ordered yesterday from Amazon 2 of Karen's books, will order today Jamie Wallen's course. Wow!!! what an amazing quilter. I am waiting to receive "Pajama Quilting for Newbies". I just click on Mindy Carperson's web page will get that one too, Thanks again Ladies.

Dear Crysty,

I have "Breaking the code" also have Linda Taylor's book. Thank You so much for all the information. May I ask. Where in Spain are you? My father came from Cordoba. My twin daughters visited Spain last year and I can't wait to turn some of the photos they brought into quilts. I took a look at the quilts on the webshots. Bravo!, Bravo!, Bravo! Querida Amiga.

Dear Carmen,

Actually, I was curious about your name since it?s a very common name in Spain.

It?s quite a coincidence since I was born in Cordoba although I?ve lived in Seville (1.5 hours drive from Cordoba) for almost all my life.

You must come to Spain so you can see where your father comes from. Cordoba was the European capitol during the 12th and 13th century and Seville was the main port to America in the 16th century.

Please send me a message if you ever come to Spain. I will be more than glad to be your "cicerone".

Best wishes

The CD that you get with your APQS machine is very helpful for the basics such as loading your machine. I watched that one many times. Donita Reeves has a basic video that also covers loading and some real basic things. Then Pam Clarkes "Designs with Lines" series is wonderful. Then you can go on to the others that have been listed here by Karen Mctavish, Jamie Wallen,Linda Taylor, etc.

Phyllis

By all means do not forget your manual or dvd that comes with your machine. It will give you great pointers on getting started and learning about your equipment. Also, practice with your bobbin winder. Then get comfortable with your tensions and different threads and bobbins. Charity quilts are always a great way to start working with your machine.

Good luck!

Carol

Hi Carmen:

Get to know your machine - you just met! Your manual from APQS has practice lessons which help a lot.

I found with my first machine I would watch part of a CD then run to the machine to practice what I just saw. A new machine is so fun & exciting mixed with a tad of good old fear! Just keep the practice quilts on. Use good thread to begin with then you won't be frustrated with thread breakage. Sewers aid or a good silicone for thread really helps.

I still enjoy practicing new pantos on charity quilts, then I post the pictures on my blog to show the patterns and how they look.

Soon you will be so comfortable with your machine you will work as a team.

Good luck & Happy Quilting!!

Last night I watched Karen McTavish's DVD that comes with her book, "Quilting for Show."

Don't be intimidated by it's title. This book and DVD give you all the essentials.

I loved watching Karen use her Millennium and show how she locks stitches both by burying and not burying. You also get to watch her use a ruler guide, mark and quilt feathers, cables, ropes, cross-hatching, and stitch in the ditch. It was like being in a class. Very, very instructional.

It is a GREAT video and I will watch it again soon. All her videos are great, but I think this one is myf avorite for now anyway.

I sure wish I could get my hands on the only book of hers that I don't have, "Whitework Quilting." I would never let go of it if I had a copy. I'm hoping I can find one in a used book store somewhere, since ebay and amazon want $350 to $500 a copy.

Hi Georgene. I am glad to see your pretty smiley face here. Sounds like you are having fun with your Milli. Great idea about using masking tape to hold down sides of quilts! :)

Hey, I plan on (soon) getting Karen's Quilting for Show book/DVD. I heard it is very good.

About her Whiteworks book... Hmmm... maybe Karen McTavish will have this very popular book reprinted for sale? Maybe if we inquire with Karen or her publisher about it they will? Never hurts to ask....And, there's always that 50/50 chance the answer is a yes! :) (send Karen an email and I will, too) Personally, I think it's a crying shame that people are selling that book for the over-inflated price. OK, sure, Karen is awesome, talented, and I'm sure the Whitework book is beautiful, etc. but c'mon people...let's not get greedy! :P Maybe I'm wrong, but to me, this borders on unethical trading and frankly, almost like a copyright violation (showing disgrace) to the author and publisher to sell a book like that for so much $$. Sure they can sell the book for as much as a person wants to buy it, but still...something ain't right about it. Ya know???

Carmen, for practice I bought a bolt of 90" wide muslin from Joanne's at 50% off and some el cheapo poly batting. I loaded it on the machine and quilted and quilted.

It tried free motion, I marked make believe blocks on the quilt with different markers and did "stitch in the ditch, etc." I practiced pantos and CL templates. I used the laser light on the front of the machine to "trace" designs. I tried some cross hatching and using the ruler guides. I got lots of practice with starts and stops and changing bobbins and tying threads, etc.

I am using all these practice pieces. My dogs love lying on them. One is a dust cover, one is a floor quilt for kids in the skybox at the local NASCAR races we go to each Sat. night (they get sleepy). And the last one I saved as a "show piece" to show people different designs (CL templates, pantos, stippling, all over meanderings, etc. etc.

I would say just do it. It's the only way you'll learn it first hand. Getting the quilt loaded properly was my biggest hangup. I ordered the zippers and they had complete instructions on adding the zippers and loading the quilt. Once I did it once, I just had to remember to put the quilt UNDER the black tension bar. I put it on top of it once and kept breaking needles.

Dear Cristy,

Yes i was named after Carmen Sevilla. ha ha ha.;):D

I can't sing but I can sew. Can't dance but I can darn.

Please when you come to the US please,please come to California. I extend the same invitation to you to be your chaperon. California is so beautiful, my father use to say that it reminded him of home.

See you soon

Carmen

Archived