wool batting

I read in one of the chat rooms about someone having problems with weivel in their wool batting. Is this a real bad problem? The batting sounds like it would be nice to use, but wouldn't want my hard work to go to dust from the weivel. Would appreciate any feed-back I can get on this. Thanks in advance.

Naomi

APQS Millennium

Guest Linda S

Hi Naomi - I use Hobb's Wool quite a bit and have never had any problem with it. As a matter of fact, it's one of my favorite batts. Did they say what kind of wool batt this was a problem in?

Linda

Linda, no they didn't say what brand the wool batt was. And of course I wasn't smart enough to print the letter off for future reference. I am new to this chat stuff so guess I wiull learn as I go along. Have learned a lot from all of you gals so far. Keep up the good work!!

Naomi

APQS Millennium

Guest Linda S

The freezer idea sounds good. I must tell you that when I was out to dinner with the group at Innovations, someone told about her misfortune of having quilted not one, but two stinkbugs :o into a quilt! Not only did they make a mess, they smelled horrible! :o If you keep your batting under your machine, just make sure there are no critters in there as it rolls up into your quilt! I will never forget that, and thank goodness I haven't seen a stinkbug in these parts! :P

Linda

I was quilting along the other day on cream colored sateen and noticed a bug-shaped shadow on the quilt; I could see long legs and wings. Fortunately it was in an area I could roll my quilt back and reach in there to remove it. I guess he'd somehow gotten rolled into place and died there. It was what we call a mosquito-eater and luckily he hadn't oozed onto the quilt :D!

I'm not sure what you are calling a weivel, but weivels don't eat wool they eat cotton....

Now if your wool battings are coming fresh from the farm and haven't been carded well yes you could have bugs of all types in there and even sticks and leaves, but if your using a manufactured wool batting like Hobbs or Dream Wool you shouldn't have any problems at all and if you are I would send the batting back. I have yet to even see a seed in a Hobbs Wool bat, and its one of the reason I buy it.

Now Warm and Nature cotton is another thing, they have seeds big time in there stuff....and it really messes up the timing when you break a needle on one...don't buy that anymore either.

Bonnie

I guess I shouldn't have called them "wevil". Guess they should be called 'moths'. You know, the bugs that chews holes in your wool sweaters and blankets or anything wool. We don't know we have them around until we take the item out to use it and find the little round holes in it someplace. I am not thinking about the immediate time, more what could happen to it in the future yearsif the moths were to get into it. Or am I just worrying about a problem that needn't be worried about?

Naomi

APQS Millennium

Naomi,

I can't say for sure you are worring about something that can't happen, because yes moths do eat wool sweaters, however I have never had one problem yet, doesn't mean that I can't or won't now that I have moved to the east coast but should I find that a problem I would make sure I had a supply of moth balls around...they hate those and leave the wool sweaters alone... I too will be on the look out for these tiny creatures.

Bonnie

Archived