Amount of shrinkage after quilting

There's no way I would try that! But, to answer your question, I'm thinking that just from the quilting, the top and backing should "shrink" at the same rate. A whole lot will depend on the amount of quilting you do. But, just suppose you decide it's going to quilt 2% and you take that into account before binding. Then your binding is going to be shorter than the sides of your quilt and there's probably no way you can load the quilt correctly with the binding smaller than the quilt.

It may have been done successfully before but . . I surely wouldn't recommend it.

Guest Linda S

Is that batting you're using going to hold up, being quilted 8" apart? Most batting needs to be quilted about 4-6 inches at the most. I know Thinsulate can go up to 11". Best check about that, or when you wash it, you're going to have balls of batting inside the quilt.

Linda

I just received my first roll of Quilters Dream Blend 70/30. I haven't used it yet but it says it can be quilted up to 12" apart. Can you imagine? I'd never do that but I'm wondering how it works when heavily quilted .. will it get stiff? Anyone know?

I have a sort of funny...for you experience quilters I am sure you'll just think I'm not quite brite. ;)

I did a baby quilt for the neighbor. I wanted it fairly thick, but soft, so I used 2 layers of batting..to give it extra loft. Then I quilted sprials all over it.....about an inch between the stitching lines. So, when I took it off of the frame I have what can only be described as a ...well I'm not certain how to describe it, but it was not soft, or drapey. I was very stiff....and difficult to fold more that twice. The colors were great, all my points matched...what a disappointment. :(

I learned a couple of things. 2 layers may make it thicker, not necessarily lofty. Quilting that is close and looks great may lend too much body to an already bulky quilt.

I still gave her the "quilt", but told her it may make a better "lay on" rather than cover up. I'm doing another one in complimentary colors...one layer of warm and natural...maybe 2-3 inches between stitching.

Cheryl

Archived