Cosmo's for Shana

LOL! Mary Beth I just love you, my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(((Hugs)))

PS: DH really likes the Springfield, MO area and I've never been to the Ozarks but I hear it is a beautiful area. Maybe a possible retirement home area for us??? I want a house in the country so I can have my little barnyard animals and my flower garden and of course, my longarm. :)

It's one of my favorite places on earth...but since visiting Iowa (I never thought I would say this...because it is so flat compared to the Ozarks), I like it!! :) They have beautiful gardens...big deer and turkey...the wate in the creeks are muddy compared to the streams in the Ozarks...but it is cold in the winter and I would think they use lots of quilts :)

Shana, I just saw your photos on your website, wow! I think I'd be really happy to enjoy a few cosmos myself up there! To be honest, I didn't know what they were before so I was curious and did a google search, sort of like a martini but more tropical? The photos on your website are spectacular! I've always wanted to see what the aurora bourealis looked like, I can hardly believe how beautiful it is. I did not realize you literally live at the North Pole. I envy that you live with no smog, no congested freeways, no grouchy people all stressed out on the long commutes we have down here. It looks just beautiful.

Kathy

Oh Kathy, I don't live at the geographic north pole. LOL! No way... that is one giant ice berg and nobody lives there, really. I live in the little town of North Pole, which is a suburb of Fairbanks (10 miles away). If you look on the map of Alaska, Fairbanks is pretty close to the center of the state. I used to live in Anchorage, near the ocean, and it is so beautiful there with all the mountains; just gorgeous there! Now I live in the interior of the state in a big river valley. I can see the mountains off in the distance, but not so close to them. It's pretty in my area, too, just a different scenery. I miss those mountains and water near Anchorage, though, but I love the nice summer months where I live now. Glad you enjoyed the pictures. The aurora is really neat to watch, but the photos don't show how they dance and shimmer across the sky. :) So, Kathy, come on up this winter and I'll shake up some cosmopolitans and we can sit under your pretty quilt and watch the lights. :)

Shana,

I can't stop giggling! That would be hysterical!

Sandy

PS- If I am able to come up for the Rondy & Iditarod, I'll be sure to let you know the dates way in advance. I might be able to get to Fairbanks for a couple of nights, and if so, hopefully we could meet for dinner and a Cosmo:) and maybe a Marguerita.

That would be fun to see..... a couple of quilters with head lamps on trying to quilt on a quilting frame with a Mille after several cosmos..... in the North Pole! while the Aurora Borealis plays in the distance and dogs race by with freezing sled drivers...... LOL!!

Ya know, Shana, I'm surprised somebody hasn't made a modern Santa movie about living in the wrong North Pole or something........ (there you go, somebody who loves to make films, there's your next box-office buster). :D:D

Patty, you would be surprised how many towns in the US are named "North Pole" -- a couple of years ago, DH & I were visiting his folks in NY State and we were driving through the Adirondaks (Lake Placid area) and would you know there is a North Pole there, too? A big "santa's" shop, buildings & it looked so REAL! Cool place. I could swear that is Santa's house. :)

I'm laughing so hard reading these posts! I got a little busy at work and missed out on all the fun!

Anchorage sounds a little like Southern California with the mountains and ocean, but minus the snow, you might like to visit one time. If you and DH come by, you can drive down the coastline and drink those cosmos over the cliffs at the Palos Verdes Yacht Club - it comes a little close to Alaska.

My dad's friend just sent a photo of a sunset in the North Pole (I don't know if its really and truly the North Pole but the message mentioned it was) so I'll post it here for everyone to see:

northpolesunsetpl0.jpg

You guys are too funny. Kathy that picture is stunning! Shana I was looking at your web site pictures the other day, the owls are adorable. They are on my bird sighting wish list. I will actually be up in Alaska in a few weeks with the kids on vacation, am hoping to spot some eagles, (and maybe a moose or bear). Also hope to see the aurora borealis, keep looking up space weather to see if there are any solar flares predicted but I think I have to wait until I'm closer to the date. Any good quilting stores along the inside passage? Anyone from Seattle? I'll be spending a few days there as well. DB

Originally posted by DB

You guys are too funny. Kathy that picture is stunning! Shana I was looking at your web site pictures the other day, the owls are adorable. They are on my bird sighting wish list. I will actually be up in Alaska in a few weeks with the kids on vacation, am hoping to spot some eagles, (and maybe a moose or bear). Also hope to see the aurora borealis, keep looking up space weather to see if there are any solar flares predicted but I think I have to wait until I'm closer to the date. Any good quilting stores along the inside passage? Anyone from Seattle? I'll be spending a few days there as well. DB

Hi, yes there are quilt shops here. The list below are just "some" of the quilt shops win the Inside Passage/Panhandle. There are quilt shops in the little towns along the panhandle (Ketchikan, Sitka, Juneau, Skagway, Haines...there are more shops, here are some places).

Silver Thimble Quilt Shop 5 Salmon Landing #204 Ketchikan, AK 99901 907-225-5422 silverthimble@kpunet.net

Changing Tides 175 S. Franklin St Juneau, AK 99801 907-963-3349 www.alaskastitching.com

Changing Threads 326 3rd Ave Skagway, AK 99840 907-983-3700 www.rtailor.com

The Rushin? Tailor 636 Broadway Skagway, AK 99840 907-983-2397 www.rtailor.com

There are more quilt shops, but this should be a good start. :)

Seeing eagles, bear and moose - you will see lots of eagles and maybe a moose, and slight chance of seeing a bear. If you're in the panhandle, you will definitely see whale. There is no chance of seeing the aurora right now because we still have nearly 24 hour sun shining and the sky is too bright for the aurora to show up. You'll have to come back in October or in the winter to see it when the sun doesn't shine so much. ;)

PS: I agree with you...I like to check into the web site Spaceweather.com it has fantastic photos of the aurora (and other cool stuff too) and it gives us a good idea of solar storms (possible aurora) so we can keep a watch for it. :)

Enjoy your trip. It is beautiful country.

Shana, Thank you for the tips on the quilt stores. I plan on visiting several of the towns you mentioned so I will definitely check out some of stores. I knew that currently you have very long days, my kids were very excited to hear that it would still be light out at 10p, but I didn't realize that meant no northern lights. I should have thought about that one a little longer. Thanks again, DB

Archived