Ferret's Wholecloth

Wow!! That is so cool!! What thread did you use.....I am curious. I like the feathers too, I hope I get the hang of them soon. Mine sure don't look like that......lol, mine look like, lol, well just plain funny:P

Your quilt ought to bring lots of ribbons, it is beautiful

Thanks guys. It is masterpiece by Superior threads. It is a very fine cotton, the fabric is cotton sateen. I prefer to only use natural fibers.

Yes the purple is peacock feathers. It is off the the Festival of Quilts next month, and I know the judges read my blog which is why I haven't posted it there. It may not do well as it is in the traditional category and we aren't sure if it is traditional enough. On the other hand no one thought a whole cloth should be in any other category. So we shall just have to wait and see.

Thanks again.

Ferret

Ferret, I thought the same thing as Jebger -- at first glance and impression, I thought they were different fabrics pieced together and then as I looked at the closer photos, I saw it was the thread that made the different "fabrics." Wow! It really is a wholecloth with a twist! This is so extremely cool. You are amazing, woman!! Beautiful quilting and very interesting technique. Surely this is a quilt that the judges will stop and do a double take, rubber neck, stop and turn around to look a little closer.. :cool: It's a winner!

Guest Smile&nod

Hehehehe, that had me fooled too. I had to look again to see the threadwork that made up the animal print patterns. Very slick work :)

Um, this is going to sound like an odd question. Isn't this something that is done? I didn't think it was a new or particularly innovative idea, though I have to say I can't think of anywhere where I've seen it. I just thought quilting the fabrics would be fun, and it seems to work fairly well to show what would normally be a pieced pattern.

Ferret - slightly bemused but very happy.

Ferret, that is an incredible quilt. Please plan on entering it in other venues - if the Festival of Quilts is too traditional to categorize it, there are other shows (don't know about UK, but there are in the US) that will have a place for it.

You might check out Linda Taylor's work with Cheri Meineke-Johnson - several award winners there. Cheri does the applique work and the crystals, and Linda uses different color threads to actually change the background color of the quilt to enhance the applique work. The results are beautiful, and the advantage of a completely reversible quilt because Linda uses the same thread top and bobbin. Recently Cheri began to put crystals on the back, too, and that seemed to start a new trend. The point is - Linda uses colors of threads that change the background color dramatically, as you have done with this quilt.

I am interested that you used MasterPiece - I love that thread and have heard so many people say it is for piecing only. NOT SO! It makes a wonderful quilting thread - 50 weight, very high quality cotton thread - and obviously in beautiful colors!

I work with George (love him!) so my process will be different, but I am going to have to try this. Whole cloth has not particularly interested me until I saw this quilt!! Thank you for such an inspiring quilt!

Joann

Independence, MO

George

If you reduce your tension top and bottom masterpiece runs very well. I've been told it can't be done but I've never listened to that kind of comment.

It took about 80-90 hours and is about 90" square.

Thanks for the leads on other work to look at.

Ferret

Ferret! That is incredible! and amazing! AND inspiring!! and and and..... Woooooooooowwwwwww...............!!! Thanks for sharing with us little plebes. ;) It is really beautiful, and what a genius you are to think of doing that. What will you do next? Can't wait to see! So glad you got "the hang of" the feathers. Hope it sticks!

Well right now I am quilting hand sized leaves on a very chewy quilt. It's slow and hard work, but I think it will be worth it. I need a really solid frame on a quilt hence being chewy,m it also has batik fromt and back, just to make things go better :)

Ferret

Ferret,

This quilt is a show-stopper. When I first saw it, I asked "Isn't this supposed to be a whole cloth". The thread

gives it so much dimension, I thought I was looking at fabrics pieced on a quilt.

About the category, it is a whole cloth, yes? I spoke with a quilter at MQS (Irena Bluhm) about her gorgeous

whole cloth. It was fabulous but MQS would not judge it because she used a green colored binding on it. Bad

luck, that. It was really quite lovely.

I guess the moral to the story is, Read the small print. ;)

In this case I have read the instructions I have and I think it fits, problem is I know these things are very much open to interpretation. It will depend a lot on the judges on the day. I was told that one judge didn't think my nudes were pictorial, and as the category they were in was only for pictorial quilts they were marked down.

I see shows very much as a lottery, but buying more tickets usually improved your odds :)

Ferret

Archived