Sharon Schamber's binding technique

Has any one every tried to do Sharon's binding tech. she has posted on her site?? I should have known if it involved glue...and fabric...and me...it was not going to be good ;)

Of course I am not as neat as Ms. Schamber, I'm sure, but that blasted glue was stuck to my fingers and the me stuck to the fabric...then I stitched the binding onto the quilt, as directed...and ended up missing spots along the way. Since the binding is heavily starched and then glued and then stitched...what a stinking mess!! I finally stuck the quilt in the washer and dryer and now I will try to make it look decent...never again...no more Elmers on fabric for me :mad::)

I use steam'a'seam2 lite on a roll, 1/4 inch. I iron it onto the binding then press to the quilt .... finish by hand. If you prefer you can iron the 1/4 inch strip on the quilt then iron the binding down .... finish by hand. No mess and only takes second. No pins necessary before, during or after.

I've tried it, though I didn't use the glue, I did everything else on it and it worked beautifully. You can only see that it's sewn by machine if you look really hard (on the front). I don't know that I would do it with many quilts. It takes more time, though the look is good.

I ironed the binding over first, and that really helped. Maybe you didn't leave enough binding to catch or maybe didn't pull it over enough. I can show you the one I did that way and see what you think.

I'm sold on the technic, but sometimes I get lazy and don't take that time like she does. It looks better from the front than most of mine do. Though, I don't use the glue. I have trouble with the idea of putting glue on a quilt I'm going to use or sell. Are the ones with glue just for wallhangings????

I don't know if she uses this technique on a show quilt or not...wall hanging, etc. I was making a baby quilt and thought I would machine sew the binding on since it is not the kind of quilt you would keep forever and ever...just one of those drag around kind. Anyway...I wasn't going to glue...then thought I would just follow the instructions and not be a rebel...Then I poked my finger on a pin and bled on the quilt and had glue every where....so I washed the quilt...and now I am trying it again.

MB,

I am horrible at binding. I have an arrangement with a piecer here in town, I quilt for her, she binds for me. I really hate to do binding.

But thinking that Sharon had an easier way to do binding, I followed the link.....

Excuse me, but you followed a 58 page procedure to put binding on a quilt?! I think it would take me longer to read 58 pages than to do the binding by hand. :o

If I had to do that many steps, I think that I would staple the binding on.:P

Of course, this is probably binding for a show quilt. No worries there. I bet they don't take stapled binding for most quilt shows.;)

Yes, Linda...you are very right!! After I started trying to do this, I thought I would print out the steps...I didn't realize it was 58 pages until I ran out of ink :mad:

Okay...did I mention that I am a dork?!:o

I pay a lady to do my binding....it is so worth is to me. I just thought for this baby quilt - a throw on the floor and - as we say in the Ozarks - "wallar in it" I thought I would try this method...I'm a dork!! :)

If its for a quilt that is utility purpose and or the binding needs to be attached quickly, I will first attach it to the back then fold it over to the front and stitch it down with a decorative stitch that goes on and off the quilt and binding. It doesn't look to bad, front or back. Usually I hand stitch my binding.

• 1 month later...

I thought I would give you an update. I just used Sharon's technique on a binding and I really liked it and had no problems with the glue. I wouldn't use it on heirloom but for quilts that will be used to death or charity quilts I'll definitely use it. I will also use the technique up to the glueing stage for my hand sew bindings, that way I don't have to deal with any pins or clips.

Heidi

I took a binding class at HMQS in April - can't remember the teacher's name, book's at home and I'm at Innovations, but it's slick! Takes an additional step of sewing a lightweight cording (actually cotton worsted) into the ditch of the binding, but I found I could machine bind a queen size quilt in about four hours, and it looks very nice (if I do say so myself!). The top looks like traditional and the back looks like it's nicely topstitched (winds up - and stays - in the ditch on the front). If anyone wants to know more, U2U me and I'll get back to you with the info after Innovations.

I took the binding class at HMQS in 2006. The teacher's name is Suzanne Hyland and her website is www.quilterstouch.com. I really like the technique on my personal quilts as there is no hand stitching. I was able to simplify some of the steps but it's a beautiful technique. A little time consuming and the quilt has to be washed after because of the dissolvable thread. I entered a few small quilts in a local show and the judges complimented me on my bindings. All of them were totally machine done.

Linda

I haven't tried Sharon Schamber's binding technique, but I have tried her applique technique. It has lots of glue, too. Three different kinds; glue stick, liquid stitch, and basting glue. Try using orange sticks to handle the fabric when using all that glue. I'll have to take a look at her binding technique.

I have a lot of customers that request that I do the binding, most by machine. I took a class on bindings about six months ago and really learned a lot of great information. Since then I've changed a few things to make it easier for me and to get it to look better. I stitch the binding on the front, press the binding to set the seam, press it again to open the seam and then press it once again to fold it over the edge of the quilt. All that is per the class. As I'm doing that last pressing I run a line of dots of basting glue (Roxanne's) just inside the first stitching and then press the binding down so that it lays just past that stitching line. The basting glue holds the binding on the back in place so that I can stitch it from the front without a problem. I use an edgestitching foot on my machine to sew the binding down from the front of the quilt. This foot has a guide that runs down the center of the seam between the quilt and the binding. I set the needle to stitch just to the right of that seam. I get perfect topstitching on the top and the back. Okay, almost perfect. My stitching wobbles now and then. The edgestitch foot is one that I always buy for a sewing machine if it doesn't come with it because it comes in handy for lots of things. They run about $25.00. I can do a queen size quilt in three to four hours (three if the dogs are sleeping and four if the two dogs are awake and need multiple potty and raw-hide chew breaks, not to mention the "trick the other dog out of her raw-hide chew" phony potty breaks) and earn about $60.00.

If you can't stitch that straight, then stitch it from the back and use a stitch that is wide enough to go back and forth and catch the binding and the quilt. You can use a decorative stitch or a zigzag. My machine has a "serpentine" stitch that I use for that purpose. Its great on baby quilts. Gives a decorative touch, but isn't nearly as much work.

I slightly modified Suzanne Hyland's technique (thank you for reminding me of the name!!) - instead of using dissolvable thread, I started using a thread to match the binding in a straight, long stitch to adhere the cord in the ditch of the binding. You don't see it and you don't have to wash the quilt to get rid of the thread. Works for me!

I just took a look at Sharon Schamber's binding instructions. Yes its 58 pages, but its 58 pages of pictures with at most three lines of writing at the bottom. Took me at least five minutes to go through it. She gives very detailed instructions, which is good when you are trying to learn something. She binds quilts a lot like the way I do. She uses a special tip when she is applying the glue. This allows her to use tiny dots of glue which keeps the glue from getting out of control and making a mess. Roxanne's Basting Glue has a special tip for that control. I really liked the way she mitered the corners. Her explanation of the way she closes the end of the binding was excellent. I'm going to have to try her way for that, too. I always seem to twist the fabric in the wrong direction when I go to sew the last diagonal and wind up with the binding twisted! Usually takes me three times before I get it sewn together without a twist in the binding.

In my opinion, she's been very kind to take her time to put these instructions on the web for anyone that wants to learn how to bind a quilt. While the glue can be messy, it really does give you a lot of control for that final stitching. I swore off gluing fabric a long time ago after making a big mess of an embroidered/hardanger piece. I started using Roxanne's Basting Glue for applique and found that it really gives you a lot of control. That tiny tip really helps keep you from making a big mess. It does take some practice to get used to handling the glue.

Phyllis,

You are right...she is very kind to post these instructions. I think I will just "stick" to the old way. Better that than sticking to the quilt. I will be taking the binding off the baby quilt that should have been done a long time ago and getting it done the way that works best for me.

Mary Beth

Archived