Innovations 2007

ffq-lar

I just finished registering for classes at Innovations. What a blockbuster I will have on Friday--my instructors for my three classes are Dawn Cavanaugh, Karen McTavish and Sharon Schamber. I will be oozing information and creativity from every pore! Ugh-sounds bad but is really good!

I will take the responsibility of contacting Cindy Roth to find a meeting room for all the chatters if she has something available. If not, we can commandeer a large table in the entry area or upstairs in the eating area to meet and greet.

Any other input or suggestions? Shall we do a ribbon ID again? Last year we did a purple ribbon on the name tag.

Anybody going for the first time? I am from the area and can help with info about local shopping and eating--favorite pastimes for all, I guess!

Also, anyone with a quilt entered? We get to vote so let everybody know if you have an entry.

Linda Rech

Olympia Wa

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

on Tuesday...will be there in the afternoon. My first class is Wed. at 8 a.m. with DeLoa Jones. Then, I have Pam Clarke and Sharon Schamber. Thursday I have classes with Mark Caraher and Cindy Roth. Friday I have classes with Dawn Cavanaugh and Megan Best. I am so excited!!!!!! Great teachers, great classes!!!!

Did I mention that this is my very first machine quilting conference???? I am looking forward to meeting other APQS owners.....

Also, I am coming up from the Bay Area on my own.....so, I would like to get together with someone for dinner on the nights I am there. Please let me know if you are interested.........

Beth - perhaps we could meet up for dinner. I frequently go on trips with my friends and always share a room, if not a bed. I am looking forward to having a room to myself so I can snore or have the a/c on as cold as I want!!!!!!!!

I think it would be a great idea to have a central meeting place/check in place where we can leave room #'s, cell phone #'s, etc for contact info. Are you staying at the Sheraton? I still need to catch a ride from the airport on Tuesday....have to make arrangements with the shuttle.....

my classes are on Thurs and Fri with Mark, Dawn, Karen McTavish, Sue Patten, and thread guru Bob Purcell. I generally avoid crowds and big cities but I will have my trusty husband at hand (with the checkbook?!!) We are staying at the Sheraton as well (doggie has gotten too old to take along :( ) .

Meanwhile, PPP. Looking forward to meeting chat room enthusiasts! Caroline

Bev and I are going to Innovations (from the Portland area) and it is our first time for this kind of event. I am signed up for Circle Lord class with Linda Mae Diny on Wed the 19th, APQS Longarm machine maintenance with Mark Caraher on Thursday morning, and Rock, Paper, Scissors with Dawn Cavanaugh on Thursday afternoon. We plan to stay until sometime on Friday. We would enjoy meeting others from this forum.

So nice to have the chance to meet and put faces to names. Shall we try for an APQS dinner on Thursday night? Too much fun! There is an Old Spaghetti Factory fairly close to the Convention Center. They may take a reservation for a large party. Do you want me to try to make arrangements? Otherwise, there are lots or restaurants within driving distance. What do you think?

Linda R

Linda:

Be prepared to be blown away. Your head will be swimming by the end of the day and you will be itching tog et home and try out all the cool things you have learned.

Besides being simply awesome teachers, those three are some of the nicest people in the business!!

Sara

Anybody going just for Wednesday and Thursday, I'm thinking of doing classes those days only. Depends on a ride, though. Jim, I'd hook up with you if I could, if I knew I'd get back in time to catch my ride to the weekend retreat I'll be attending. I don't believe it will be leaving until the evening, so maybe we can work it out?

Beth, would you mind putting up with me part time? :cool:

Happy news--

I just heard back from Cindy Roth and she would be "happy to accommodate the group of APQS machine owners" with a meeting room at Innovations. Do we have a day and time that we would prefer?

Whadda you say, campers? Shall we aim for Thursday as this seems to be the day that lots of us will be there? We can plan for a couple of hours to encompass the lunch break? Any other ideas?

Linda Rech

But........ I AM a little taken a-back at the pronouncement that there is a "one time, non-refundable registration fee of $35" for . . . . what? paper-handling. Oh c-mon!! I can make my own name tag, ok? I know it can't cost $35 to make a name tag and shuffle papers. Really. Add this ON TOP of the nice fee you're paying for the class...... yes, the fee is worth it, but the paper handling??? I don't think so. Geez! Ok, rant over. I'll be nice.

(Where's the smiley with the huge toothy grin??) :mad::mad::mad:

Hi Patty--

Great to see that you will make it to Innovations this year. We are going to finally meet the "names" and see the "faces".

I also was a little "interested" as to the $35 fee when I first signed up (this is year 4 for me--I love it!) I know very little of the costs involved in putting on a show like this, but I do know that if Cindy Roth doesn't make a reasonable amount of money for a year's worth of planning and headaches, we won't have a show to go to! The top-notch teachers can draw a lot of students and I believe their cut comes from attracting students and filling those classes. Some of the class fees must go back to help pay for the facilities. Vendors contribute with their space fees but one cancellation can put a hole in the profits. So Cindy's job is to arrange the place, line up great teachers, attract students, attract vendors, pay for insurance, intake quilts, have the quilts professionally photographed, hang the quilts, provide each student with a schedule, nametag, and goody bag, keep the teachers, students, volunteers, and vendors happy, teach a class or two and run her vendor space and also see that all the quilts make it home again. Whew! I know that $35 seems a lot especially if you only take a few classes, but I feel it is worth a little extra to have a place to learn so much!

Yay!! I get to meet Karen McT, Dawn (again) Sharon Schamber, Grace Anderson, and DeLoa next month! Yay!! I get to meet Patch, Laurie, Jim, kathy, Caroline, Beth, my buddy Bekah and all the rest of our APQS family! Gettin' sappy here so I better get back to work!

Linda R

Thanks for arranging a room for us to meet in! I think Thursday is my day for classes right before and right after the lunch half hour but that is fine.....I will go into the room to see who's there.

Are we still planning on a group dinner on Thursday?

Archived