Innovations 2007

ffq-lar

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure going to miss not being involved in all the activities this year. I hope that you all have fun and learn lots. I'll be thinking if you guys and make plans to go next year.

Beth - I still think about our evening out to "Soul Food" - now I can laugh about it, but that night, well, I don't think any of us were laughing very hard. Just sort of dumbstruck!!!;)

My 2nd time @ inovations but first time taking classes. I bought a millie in march. Going this time will feel more like I have some friends out there. We all chat here and it will be nice to meet some of you in person. On friday i am taking two classes and on sat two classes. Machine maintenence, thread class, dawns potporri class and this old quilt class as I work in vintage fabric exclusively (personal collection). I am very excited about this event. My daughter live at fort lewis so I have a place to sleep that is close. I also want to pick Michael's brain from loricles. I hope to meet up with some of you.

Sincerely,

Nora Alquraisha

Washougal Washington

Millennium

• 2 weeks later...

This is sooooo cool! Tell me when to meet you ladies and I'll do my best to be there! The only problem is that I am signed up for classes from 8:30 on Wednesday until 3:00 on Friday, with only half-hour breaks in between classes:o

I did the same thing at my very first show (HMQS 2007) - learned a lot, but, wow, was I fried when I finished!

I have entered my very first show quilt - now I just have to get the thing done! Pray for me, ladies - it's a 35 block sampler quilt.

Ok.... so what do you do if you want to carpool with folks from the Portland area and you live in the SW segment and are riding with east-side people and you don't want to leave your car on NE for three days??? Is there some way to get over there at 6:30 am besides driving? I wonder if I take a bus to a Max if that will take too long, or if they'd even be running that early, LOL!

I don't mind paying those fees. Most of the bigger shows I've attended with classes all charge them. It's work to get it all together. I'm just glad they do it for us to enjoy. Imagine the risk financially involved in booking all of the teachers and all of their expenses and not to mention the facility. Yikes it scares me even thinking of arranging such an affair. Just pay come and enjoy.

Yes, Cuke, you are!!! LOL! :P:P:D

Bekah, my DH's sleep is god to him. I will check out that website though. Thanks!

Ok. Later now...... here's what I get for my inquiry on the Tri-met website:

Walk south from Fred Meyer - Tualatin (19200 SW Martinazzi Ave) to SW Martinazzi & Martinazzi Square (Stop ID 8249)

5:23 a.m. Board 96 Portland via I-5

5:51 a.m. Get off at SW Jefferson & 1st

Walk 0.11 mile north to SW Main & 2nd (Stop ID 11956)

6:10 a.m. Board 14 Hawthorne to Portland

which continues as 14 Hawthorne to 94th & Foster

6:26 a.m. Get off at SE 50th & Division

Walk 0.1 mile west to 4823 SE Division St

Travel time: 68 minutes (including 5 minutes walking and 19 minutes waiting)

Look for a shorter waiting time.

Fares: Adult All Zone ($2.05), Youth/Student ($1.40) or Honored Citizen ($0.85) Where to buy

Not being familiar with the system at all, it makes me shiver in my shoes to think of so many changes in one trip. I don't think I want to do it this way..... :mad:

Oh... I guess that's only one change... but so confusing if you don't know the system. I mean... why don't they just send a bus or a Max up the 205, for crying out loud??? Oh, I suppose I'd still have to change.... oh dear. This is so complicated. Might just dump my car over there and tell DH to get it himself if he wants it. LOL!

Patty, why don't you make life easier on your self and everyone else and leave your car at home and take a taxi cab to the central carpool meeting location? It's probably easier for you to take a taxi to that place?

Or maybe you can drive your car over to Bekah's house, park it there (safe neighborhood) and both of you can take the metro together?

(just a thought).

Everything costs money. Just wait till you get your longarm. I think the longarm is just the beginning of the costs involved!! (doesn't include tools, gadgets, gizmos, training classes from instructors, travel costs to get there, books, videos, etc... it all starts to add up real quick) :o So, get used to it. It's only money, right?? LOL!! ;)

Patty if you can get close to the Max or even if you take it to town, just hop on it, I am meeting Beth at Gateway not the shop. the max goes right to gateway and I know you can catch Max from town to Gateway that is only getting on bus, gettnig off bus and on to train

Patty and friends,

Here's the deal. I checked this out with my husband who has lived in Portland all his life. His mother lives over on 137th street across from Glendoveer Golf Course, and he's there all the time. It's just down the street from Gateway. In fact, when I'm there, I get up every morning and head over that way to get my Starbucks fix.

From Tualatin you've nearly got a straight shot into Gateway. Go down and take 205 to 84 to Gateway. He says you can park right there. It's a big lighted parking area with 24 hour security. It's behind the big Fred Meyer store on Glisan. That way you can meet your friends right there. You don't have to lug your luggage in and out of a bus or whatever.

Does that help?

Oh, and my hubby is a bit challenged when giving directions, since he's lived there his whole life, he goes more by instinct than roadsigns. I don't think you even have to go onto 84, but can take Glisan directly off 205. Anyway, and either way, it'll get you there all the same. I was going to name 102nd street but couldn't exactly remember and didn't want to guess. :P I'm from Wyoming. We use, close enough in the right direction is good enough, directions too!

Anyway, I think it will all work out and we'll all get there and have a good time.

DH said leave the car at Jim's place. Sounds the best to me. The lady who runs the retreat center I'm going to the day I get back says come anyway, without paying (I told her I wouldn't have the money, so was cancelling, but she's just too nice to let me do that!). So I will definitely be coming back with you all, Jim. Sorry to be all over the place with this! :P See you the 19th!

Oh! however, if anybody is going later on Wednesday, in time for me to catch my 1:00, I'd love to hitch a ride North with you as it would be nice to have those few extra hours of sleep.

Patty--

You have a lot of people trying to get you to Innovations!

FYI-- the Amtrak station in Tacoma is not close to the Convention Center but the Link is a free light rail that runs from the station to right next to the Convention Center. Did I say free?? yes. If anyone is still looking for accomodations, right next to Freighthouse Square (the pick-up point for the Link--free transportation to downtown) is a nice new Best Western. It takes less than 15 minutes travel time .

Good luck figuring it all out--getting there, staying there and getting home!!!

Beth, that would be so cool! But I'm still having to pay for the hotel, for which I'm hoping not to use the Visa.

Linda, it's really sweet of everybody and makes me feel so good. :)

EVERYBODY: I'VE BEEN OFFERED A RIDE WITH A GAL FROM MY LQS WHO LIVES IN SHERWOOD AREA, AND I WANT TO KNOW IF IT'S ALRIGHT TO INVITE HER AND HER FRIEND (LONGARM QUILTERS, ONE A GAMMILL) TO OUR DINNER THURSDAY NIGHT. IS IT OK?

(I'm only shouting so you will all be able to hear me above the racket in here, since it's gotten so crowded by now. :P

She has my number, but I don't have hers, and she wasn't at the shop. I meant about staying at the hotel, as they are staying at the Marriot which made me think maybe I should do the same, but haven't talked with her again yet. She was going to ask her friend and get back to me about the ride, but was sure I could ride and it would be ok. I don't like unfinished answers, so said I needed to be sure of it before I posted anything final about staying with who or what. I guess I'm pretty sure of the ride but not the hotel yet. LOL! You mean you don't like loose ends either? Don't worry, I make a lot of noise but I finally get things straight in the end. You can be sure of that. ;)

Archived