Accepting Credit/Debit Cards

Does anyone accept credit and/or debit cards directly? I looked into Paypal as a way to accept credit card payments, but their fees are pretty high. I spoke with my local bank about it and their fees are VERY competitive even with a card swiper. Now this is a local bank, NOT a national one (where the fees are really high and the cost of the swiper is very high). Can anyone comment on this aspect of running our business or does everyone just take cash and checks?? thanks so much!

I do have a merchant account through my bank to take credit cards. The fees are a bit higher because I call in the few transactions I have. But I don't have any fees if I don't use it and didn't have to invest in any equipment. I like to have the option for customers. (want to make it as easy as possible for them to spend money :) ) If I get to using it more, I will look into a terminal since calling in the transaction is kind of a pain.

I used to take them, at one point I had a small business making Radio Covers (Ham equipment) and I did a few craft/art fairs over the summer. But when I started quilting primarily, noone wanted to use a credit card. Every other quilter around here takes only Cash/check. So, I wasn't taking enough to make it worthwhile, only 2-3 per month. It was costing a flat rate of $30 per month, and around .50 per transaction. So really not worth it. I suppose if you did some retail biz, backings, thread, etc. and offered it, it might make sense. I always thought , well it's a buusiness expense. But an expense is an expense, and less $$$ in my pocket........

Hi

I've been reading your postings for a while now but this is my first reply. I am in Vancouver, WA. I've had my Millie, Ruby, for about a year. I don't usually quilt for other people, but I do have a business making hand-dyed fabric for quilters and do sell a lot at shows and guild meetings.

I do take credit cards, just VISA and MC. I shopped around quite a bit, and a friend then recommended Merchant America/ECHO.

http://www.echo-inc.com/

I use a manual imprinter, and then enter the transactions online. This works out ok for me. I don't do that many transactions per week, and many of the shows I work don't have electricity at the booth anyway. ECHO does offer electronic swipe, but I don't remember the cost of the equipment. The %age varies according to gross, but is under 3%. There is no minimum monthly fee, so if you have a month with no sales, there's no charge. You do have to open a business acount at their partner bank, First Regional, which is in Calif. The cost of the account is $6/mo. If any of you do end up using them, please use my business HANDWERK as a reference. (I will get a gift!)

I have found that my sales increased dramatically since I began taking charge cards. I compensated for the commission by raising my overall rates by 3%. My customers didn't notice. They are usually pleased they are able to get airline miles.

I enjoy reading the postings. I've gotten lots of good tips.

Thanks.

Bonnie Bucknam

Handwerk

16311 NE 43rd Way

Vancouver WA 98682

bonniebucknam@gmail.com

I also go through my local bank to process credit cards. I found them to be very competitive, and easy to use, and they have good service. I purchased my credit card machine on eBay instead of buying a new one from them, and I'm happy about that. I would recommend this route to anyone. What I like best about my bank plan is that the transaction fees are competitive and I have no monthly fee, just a minimum charge which I rarely have to pay.

Dan

www.WebsitesForQuilters.com

I don't have my LA "yet". But, I do use a credit card processing company for another home business. It's Propay. There is an annual fee and based upon which processing package you choose the fee varies. I don't process too many cards, so I use the least expensive fee, the processing percentage is a bit higher. There is a processing fee and a small 35 cent transfer fee if you want to transfer funds to your bank account. I usually try to transfer a lump sum of funds at a time instead of after each processing. They offer a "pre-paid" card linked to your account to use. There is no monthly minimum and you can process the cards via online or phone. I find that with the business I do, offering the credit card option has been nice for long distance customers and I have seen that people will spend a little more when I accept the cards. the website is www.propay.com

Good luck! :)

• 1 year later...

I used to take credit cards in another business I own but I no longer do. I wasn't doing enough credit card business and my monthly rate and discount rate continually climbed.

If anyone needs a really good Hypercom credit card terminal, I have one I will sell. Please contact me individually for details and information.

• 1 year later...

I marked this in my favorites a while back and am now ready to look into taking credit/debit cards. Any new suggestions? ideas??

BTW, this is the reason I haven't posted/lurked lately--been pretty busy...Malachi is 3 mo. old now.

Rose Hall

Custom Quilt Kits

Usually going through your own local bank is the best. But regardless. there is always a fee for the credit cards, so you need to determine if it wise to take them. If you are only quilting and not selling on your own web site, selling on Ebay or at craft fairs you probably do not need to offer credit cards. If you are selling on the internet or Ebay - Pay Pal is the way to go. If you are selling at craft fairs- then you will need to either get a lap top or wireless credit processing machine.

Also, we cannot use the zip zap machines in the US any longer - the receipts can only be imprinted with the last 4 of the Credit card number on any copy of the form. To help prevent ID theft by store employees or going through garbage. I would love to be able to use them at craft fairs, and did for a while, but I got a very firm warning!!!

Jane

Guest Linda S

I use PayPal. In six years of business, I've only had to accept payment that way twice. I 'ahem' adjusted the price of the quilting slightly to compensate.

Linda

I have an embroidery business and do some quilting also. I used to use Propay when I started out, but I exceeded the monthly limit. I now use Merchant Services through Sam's Club. If you are a Sam's Club member you get a better rate and I think there is no monthly fee, if there is one it is minimal. Also my credit card machine works off a cell phone, so I can take my credit card machine anywhere and do not have to have a phone line. All of my credit card transactions approved on site, with the protection that you need now days from the identity theft I would not recommend taking them manually. I only take Visa, MC and Discover because there fees are very reasonable. I do not take American Express because there fee rate is 6% and they charge you a monthly fee for a statement even when you do not take any sales during the month.

D

Archived