Going full-time

Oh, DH is so close :cool: Shouldn't be long now...

Here is a good one, thought I'd share. Here I am trying to get enough customers to quit my part-time job so I can quilt full-time, and my boss comes to me today and gives me the name of a colleague who is looking for a machine quilter :o;)

She has pieced 10 quilts lately and was hand quilting, then domestic machine quilting....but now wants a longarmer...cross your fingers.:)

Wouldn't it be something if this referral from YOUR BOSS is just what you need to go full time and quit your job. LOL I am sure if your boss knew that he/she would have never reffered you because I couldn't imagine them wanting to loose you as an employee.

I will be praying for you...so all will fall into place before the Holidays :)

What has your DH said about this potential gold mine?

Joann

Mary Beth,

If you do get to do the 10 quilts for this person, that will be great. But do you have any lined up after that? I don't know how many regular customers you have, or how many quilts you do per day? per week?

Just be sure you can afford it before you quit your job. I DO want to see you quilting full time, if that's what is best for you; but don't get caught up in the moment and do something you might regret in 6 months or a year.

Not trying to burst your bubble, just being realistic.

Teresa,

I know what you are saying. That is the only reason I haven't turned in my notice at work. The phone calls are just too few and far between. I am getting my name out there and I do have about 4 repeat customers, 2 bring me multiple quilts everytime I call to let them know I have theirs done. Love them!! I have a few others that I have not seen in a while, they are older women and I'm thinking I need to call them to check on them, and just remind them that I am out here.

Working during the day and trying to become a full-time quilter is kind of a double edge sword around here...most of the big guilds meet during the day, so it is impossible to go to their meetings...and we have several huge guilds. If I wasn't working I could hit most of them I think. We have one large guild that meets near my home, but no one I know attends because they are too snooty! Isn't that sad...quilters are suppose to be nice, but they are a different sort. There are about 150 people in that guild and about 80 or so attend each month. I wish it was easier to get involved with them.

Anyway, DH and I have been discussing passions and doing what you love. For us, it is not going to be a get rich thing, or even make more than I do at my regular job, but I think I could make the same as I do at my part-time job. Anyway, we are getting closer, it's just a matter of time. But we are keeping things in perspective.

Thanks for all your support, you girls are the best.

Mary Beth,

I'm so glad you understood what I was trying to say without taking offense. When I read it back I thought it sounded kind of nasty, and you know I would never address you with anything nasty. You are too good of a friend.

I just want you to do what is best for you and your family. If you can make the same money and get rid of a bunch of stress and garbage from your real job, then go for it.

Just keep thinking and keep weighing the options. Could you possibly cut back on your hours at your job? Say, you could go in 3 or 4 days a week instead of 5. If you could do that for a while then you could maybe get to some of these guild meetings and get yourself introduced, and you'd have a day or two to quilt full time. Then you could wean away from your full time job and replace it with quilting.

I couldn't do that because of my job, but yours may be way more flexible. Just a thought for you.

Love YA, do what is best for you and hubby.

ROTFLOL! Mary Beth and Jeanne -- you guys crack me up!

Hey, MB I was thinking about your previous post and wanting to attend the guild meetings during the day but they conflict with your "other" job (don'tcha just hate it when that happens??) and here's an idea that you could ask your boss...maybe you could continue to work at your "other" job but have a flex schedule on certain days of the month so you can work around the guild meeting? That way you still have your "other" job and you can start rubbing noses with the snooty guild gals (not Jeanne but the others) lol... and maybe get more quilt customer biz? Hey, it's a 50/50 chance that bossie will say "yes" to your flex schedule so you can attend those guild meetings. Frankly I don't see why it wouldn't work out OK because you are PT at the "other" job any way.... you can make up your time by working longer another day or extra hours whatever. You're smart and can figure that part out all by yourself...;)

If it is meant to be it will happen...I am a big believer in this, has been a household motto of ours for some time now. Don't loose faith God gave you the gift and talent of quilting and he wouldn't have given you that just so he can sit back and watch as you get frustrated because you don't have the time or enough of the customers to make it all work.

I will go out on a limb and say that within 6-9 months you will have enough steady business (may not be all repeat clients but referrals too) that you will feel comfortable and confident to jump in with both feet. :) Also remember sometimes you just need to have faith and take the chance and let God help.

Joann

Shana,

My job is very flexible and they have told me that if I want to take off I can. But there are a lot of things I want to take off for :D Anyway, I keep thinking I am going to take them up on it, just have not.

The idea of going lesser day per week won't work because I am there to releave the lunch break, then I leave for the day, so I work 9 am to 1 pm everyday. I can usually get some quilting in before work...then more after work.

Joann...

yes, you are right. I know that I need to rely more on what God wants in my life than what I want. Sometimes I get a little ahead of Him...as most of us do. And I know about that leap of faith...it's the DH that has his feet firmly planted...no leaping any where for him!

Something will happen soon I'm sure.

Marybeth,

I've been reading your posts between vacations and work. I too would love to quilt full-time, but I haven't even started doing customer quilts. I'm enjoying my own time with Millie since I work full-time. Good luck with your plans. I too will be thinking about this more in the next year or two. I enjoyed meeting you at MQS and look forward to hearing more.

You know what? Even the "snooty" guild has potential, you just have to be there and be friendly. There are a few, but one in particular "snooty" girl in the guild I attend. The girls in the guild will often ask me for a tip on doing something or how I would handle something and this girl will be polite and then when it is quiet she will say something like, "Oh, well doing it like that you waste too much fabric," or, "that would be a waste of time!" And then , after I had shown alot of quilts from other customers at meetings and also quilted many many quilts for guild members she announced that she was bringing her quilt to the "other quilter" and next meeting brought this quilt to show us. It was a poorly done panto using very thin neutral thread and huge stitches with some very noticable square corners, but all in all it wasn't too bad especially if you don't know what to look for and all I had seen of her work previously was huge stipple everywhere! By the way, I didn't loose any business to "the other quilter" by this showing, I think it was just a bit of a malitious ploy. I was just quiet and nice to her and you know, by spring she was actually civil and actually complimentary when I brought in some customer quilts that I had done small fills on (Darlene Epp style!) It will be interesting to see what happens this year! I also think that possibly she was the most accomplished quilter in the group until I came along. I haven't even brought some of my difficult stuff to show, like Jinny Beyer intricately pieced quilts or some of my Makenna Ryan stuff, maybe this year.

Mary Beth, you do great work! If you can get to some of those guilds, even the snooty one, you will win them over. The work I see done on APQS machines on this forum is all so far above the work that I see from other longarmers who have been quilting for years. I am absolutely blown away by work done by absolute new longarmers on this site like Shana and others. Our machines just allow us to do great right away.

Just keep on quilting, the word will get around!

Cher

Cher,

Thank you for your nice words..and compliments.

Honestly, there is not a way to get "in" with these gals. I have been to many, many meetings and still not one speaks. I have even attended classes at the LQS with some of them and tried to talk to them at the guild meeting - and believe me...you remember me after being in a class with me...they still act like you are bothering them. No kdding...it is frustrating. Our LQS owner belongs to that guild and says that not one of them darkens her door for business...her shop is not that great, but at least you would think someone would drop in once in a while to see what she has.

I have joined a different guild, not nearly as many people, but very nice people just the same. I keep thinking I will keep trying with this big guild, but just can't bring myself to spend 3 hours of my evening with them....maybe when my job situation changes I will be able to attend their daytime guild....they have 2 day and night.

sometimes you have to speak tothem first.

just keep putting yourself out there. i think it is all about being

comfortable. i have trouble with it also. i get all caught up and think

well this is it and then the phone rings. so all i can say about going

full-time is you will know when believe in yourself you can do this. if i can

you can. carol

Mary Beth, I have so got my fingers crossed and prayers going up for you on this! It won't be long, I just know it! Hang in there with the big guild, too, you are so talented, funny, and so sweet and caring that they won't be able to resist! After all, DH loves ya for a reason!

Archived