How do I quilt this? (I am newbie)

I am a new Millennium owner and still practicing before I have the guts to take on a customer quilt. My sister (who is a fantastic quilter and the reason I got into quilting again after many years -- hence my business name) has sent me a couple quilts to quilt for samples to give to quilt shops. One is an applique and then there is this sampler

If this were a customer quilt, I would probably suggest a panto, but I want to use this as a sample of what I can do, so any suggestions?

THanks

Sara

Hi Sara

I would suggest that you do what you are comfortable doing well since you want this to be a sampler of your abilities. If you do freehand well, showcase that. If you do stencil or ruler work well, showcase that, Since I have no idea what kind of work you currently do this is the onloy suggestion I can make. Hope this helps!

I have a number of sets of block designs that I have blown up to fit a 12" block. I use them all the time in sampler blocks - usually a different design for each block. On some of the blocks I will do some continuous curves or something very specific to the block design. At the end, it looks like I've done something special with each block - but very easy to execute. Some of the design with lines concepts also work very well for traditional blocks.

I would suggest, if you're pretty good at it, to SID. That is one of the main reasons that I got my quilting machine, because so few of the quilters around here wanted to do it. I love the way it looks and enjoy doing it. ALOT of my business has come from doing a Stained Glass Window quilt that I had done that to. Atleast 1/3 of my business is SID. So, if you do some of it in your sampler it might help you in the future. Just my advice. Goodluck!!

Kelly

Millennium

Hi Kelly LOL!LOL! ( Dugh) I' just didn't put it together Thanks.

I do a lot of SID , also do freehand quilting in a sampler blocks , I try to do each one differently,I usually do both on a sampler quilt, then on the back you also can see what kind of block it is. I have a hard time with the Laser I never was any good at tracing either. But would like to be able to do it much better. I'm going to a longarm beginners class in April and also taking the advanced Hope I can get the help I need . Have you taken that one? APQS offers it. Saundra, still learning :)

thanks for the suggestions. I'm not that great with SID yet (and I HATE it! -- probably because I'm not that good at it yet . . .) so I think I will try to design something different for each block and then look for a panto for the sashes (now THOSE I can do!) and the border.

Will post photos when I get to this, although I have some other practice tops I got off eBay to do first.

thanks

Sara

Sara,

I have done a lot of sampler quilt and have photos in my webshot albums 4, 7, and 9 for sure aswell as other albums if you want to look around. Let us see photos of the finished quilt. Whatever you do have fun with it.

Myrna Ficken

APQS Representative Sales/ Service/ Classes

aquilterschoice.com

http://community.webshots.com/user/myrna316

Myrna:

Your quilts are simply gorgeous! I could spend hours looking at them (but I really need to be working!) You have given me lots of ideas and inspiration!!!! And I am very jealous of your studio -- that picture window . . . sigh . . . Where do you live? In the desert someplace it looks like. My "studio" is in my basement (only room big enough to fit "Betty")

THanks for sharing and I will go back and drool over your quilts when I have more time!

Sara

Thanks Ladies,

Don't we have a great job! I live in Hurricane, Utah just outside of St. George. It's a beautiful part of the country if you like desert and mountains. I am 30 minutes from Zion National Park. We Have had quite a bit of rain this winter so everything is green right now.

Myrna Ficken

APQS Representative Sales/ Service/ CLasses

aquilterschoice.com

http://community.webshots.com/user/myrna316

Archived