M & L in Anaheim

Any vacationers going to Disneyland need to make a side-trip to M&L fabrics. Four miles away and WOW! It's an old grocery store full of great-priced fabric.

This year's fabric at $6-$8/ yd. Last year's top-of-the-line at $2.98. Holidays at $3. Stacks of flat-folds--all types/colors/lines at $1.98. Flannels, fleeces, home-dec--all great prices.

The staff is grumpy--you would be to if you cut a ton of fabric every hour!! Wish I had brought an extra coupla hundred$$$. We were lucky--we drove down so we didn't need to pay for over-weight luggage!!

It's located at the corner of Knott and Ball.

Linda R

I thought about buying one of those little bags that you can suck the air out of. Since we fly for free:cool:, we can only have one carry on...if we check luggage we have no gurantee - but who does?? :) If I had one of those bags, and I only took one change of clothes - depending on how long I'm gone ;) I could get a lot in a suit case! And UPS always works too :D

Too funny!! Or you could do like my DH does--when we travel he takes his collection of "road-trip" underwear (the stretched-out-a few-holes-here-and-there tee shirts and undies.) When worn they are then thrown away!!Then I have room for stuff in HIS bag!!

Linda Rech

• 3 months later...

Yes, M & L is a wonder to behold, and you don\'t want to be there if an earthquake strikes because you will be smothered by stacks of fabric seven feet high.

It is important to know that the fabrics carried at M & L are not first grade fabrics, even though you will find brand name fabrics including Jinny Beyer, Kaufman, Mary Ellen Hopkins, and even Hoffman. What happens in the fabric-making world is that they use very cheap fabric call greige goods (pronounced gray) for the first few runs of a pattern to see how it prints and if any changes need to be made to the pattern, the machinery, the dyes, etc. It\'s like when you make a sample muslin of a dress to make alterations to the pattern before you make it in velvet. They cannot sell this inferior grade fabric to quilting stores, and so that fabric goes to outlets like M & L. It\'s worth visiting, but buyer beware! You cannot buy quality fabric for $1.98 a yard.

Try not to be seduced. With all the work and expense one puts into a quilt, why use inferior quality fabric?

Its the same concept that we used in pre-pressing the paper presses at the newspaper...you must use a low grade product to ink the pressess and when your done for the day they use the same produce to clean off the presses....Other place you will find this fabric on the west coast at least is are places like Home Fabrics, Mill End Fabrics...and I have even found some in WalMart and JoAnns.

Archived