Another Lenni question...

Does anyone know what the largest size quilt one can quilt on a Lenni would be?

The frame would be 10 feet X 12 inches = 120" long.

Somewhere I read on this list that it is good to allow 16 inches for the backing and batting beyond the quilt top. That said, 120 inches minus 16 inches = 104 inches.

So, does that really mean a quilt that was 104 inches wide could be quilted on a Lenni? I'm afraid some of this logic, really isn't logical at all.

Could someone from APQS jump in here with an answer?

Thanks,

Sandy

Sandra,

I have a 12 foot table, but I can only quilt about 120 inches because the handles run into the ends of the machine. I would think you would have the same problem on the Lenni.

As for the amount of extra fabric that you want on the backing and batting; I don't want more than four inches on each side. Sometimes we state that we want the backing to be eight inches bigger than the quilt top in length and width. That allows for the four inches on each side. and top and bottom. I feel if it is much bigger than that the extra material just gets in the way.

I hope this helps.

Wow, our new little sister Lenni is causing quite a stir!

This machine was made to compete with the smaller models like the HQ16, I think. But with an APQS SR and a metal table, I bet this one will be a big seller.

As far as how big a top will fit, seems like with 10 foot rails and a place to park the machine, your usable space may only be 100 inches or so--maybe less. Since none have been delivered yet (we guess) we may not know until the first ones are delivered.

Hey Mark---any info to share?? Inquiring minds want to know!

Linda R

I have been searching for comparative size quilt tops that can be quilted on the various models without much luck. I'm surprised APQS don't state this.

Can anyone elaborate? Sandra has sais she can do 120" on her 12' Milli table. Is tis different depending on which extras you have taking up space?

How about the Liberty?

Thanks

Chris

Phyllis,

Thanks for the response. So, the "formula" is the 16" someone else mentioned, plus another 8 inches to equal the 24 inches that would be deducted from the table length to give you the number of inches for a quilt top to fit? That actually makes sense to me.

The Lenni sounds sweet, but I may want to hold out for an 11 foot table. That would allow me to do a 108" quilt. It's almost like that old joke, "does size really make a difference?" :)

Chris,

You're right about about the lack of info (at least I can't find much, either). I am also interested in the Liberty, but with an 11 foot table. Hopefully someone from APQS will give a response.

Sandy

OK I'll jump in here. The Lenni table is 10', but that is from outside to outside. You will bottom out on either side with the machine and carriage. The Lenni carriage is a little narrower than the bigger machines so you will be able to quilt 109" where as on the Liberty or Milli with a 10' table frame you can only quilt 102". With a 12' table frame you can quilt up to 127" and a 14' 150", that is the length of the leader canvas that we put on the fabric rollers. The Lenni will only be available on a 10' table frame where as the other machines it is your choice of table length, same price. With the 11' table you can quilt 114".

I hope this helps you all out!!

Take care, :)

Thanks Mark, This info helps alot. So I would be able to load a queen size quilt on to the Lenni and turn it side ways too. That's excellent! The original ship date was some time the end of August, any idea of where the shipping dates are running now? DB

Hi DB...I can't give you any times on the ship dates as of yet. I know they are working frantically to get things going so Lenni machines can go out the door!

Chris....The measurements that I gave you is the leader canvas that is on the fabric rollers which is the actual quilting space that you have.

Later!

Hi again Mark,

I have more questions ... If I bought a Millie or a Liberty with an 11 foot table, I would need another 12 inches for parts protruding, which would equal 12 feet of space needed for the machine. Then I would need enough additional space to squeeze around one end of the machine to get to the other side. Is that right so far?

Next - With the size and arrangement of my room, I would need to put the right end (looking at the freehand side) up against the wall and walk around the left end to get to the panto side - but, I think I will do more custom than pantos. Is there a reason I am not seeing why someone said I need to have the left side (still standing at the freehand side) of the machine against the wall and walk around on the right end side. If the machine was against the left side wall, it would block the only doorway into my laundry room, so that wouldn't work. Do you need to stand at the right side to make adjustments or something?

My room is 165 inches from wall to wall. That only leaves exactly 21 inches of space to get around, (and probably a few inches less so nothing is right on the wall), adding the 12 inches to the 11 feet of the frame.

Sorry to be so long winded, but as I am getting closer to a purchase, I need to ask these questions.

Thanks,

Sandy

Sandy,

There is the motorized fabric advance that hangs off of the right side of the table frame when standing at the front. It hangs off about 10" so to be safe I tell people to figure an extra foot when looking at dimensions in your room. But that is why we tell people to put the left side up against the wall because you can get it closer to the wall and leave the other side to get around front to back. But you can do it however it will fit in the room. :)

Later,

Sandy

I would be interested to know what you decide on as we seem to be singing from wimilar songsheets.

I have a 14' 9" long room which I think is about a foot longer than your measurements. I am now considering going for a longer table from the outset, so therefore going for broke and getting a Millie. Fortunately my husband agrees that this makes better financial sense in the long run.

If I have a 12ft table space will be limited but I do hope to have a studio built outside so it might only be for a limited amount of time.

I forgot to enquire what the width requirements were. Does anyone have these?

Chris

Hi Chris

I normally tell people looking at buying a 12foot table to have a room 8ft x 14ft minimum.

I find a 12ft table is just right and haven't refused a quilt yet. I did originally have a 14ft but ended up not using the extra for quilting - I just seemed to store my junk at the end. Also my room looks much bigger with a 12ft table.

Sue in Australia

My Ultimate II is on a 12 foot table. My room is 15 ft. 4 inches from end to end. There are closet doors on the far end (left end facing the freehand side of the machine). I don't have a motorized fabric advance, but I DO have the right end of my machine about 12 inches from the right hand wall.

Then the machine is there. I have 28 inches on the left side of the machine. That gives me room to open closet doors. If I had a longer table I probably wouldn't have enough room, even in this long, skinny room. I hope this helps.

Teresa,

Thanks for those measurements. In what I was figuring, I would have about 21 inches. I just hope I can loose some weight before I get a LA, so I can get around the 21 inches:) Your "formula" works out the same as mine, just our sizes are different, so that is helpful to know I was on the right track.

Sandy

• 3 weeks later...

OK it's now Sept. Somebody must have received their Lenni by now. Am I correct in thinking that they were going to start going out the end of August? Sooo if you've received your Lenni, how about getting on here and letting the rest of us know how it's going. I'm waiting anxiously for some news. DB

Mark, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Lenni does NOT come with the auto fabric advance system, which means you don't need to add that 10" to the length of the table.

My sister has a MIllie on a 10' table, and can do Queen size quilts. When she gets a king size to do, she "borrows" one of my machines which is on a 12'.

Keep this in mind.

You can quilt more width working freehand than you can when doing pantographs. When working from the back of the table, you have to allow for the offset of the laser, not only on the right side, but also on the left, because it is usually set at an angle just so you have better visibility.

I just did some measurements on my 8' table and here's what I've found. This is with the laser pointing straight down, and not at an angle like I prefer.

My canvas on the 8' table is 81".

Freehand, I can quilt 76" MAX.

Pantographs, I can quilt 66" MAX.

I think for a 10' table, all you need to do is add 24" to those numbers and you'd be pretty accurate.

Freehand, you lose 5" and on pantos you lose a MINIMUM of 15".

Taking Mark's measurement of the canvas leaders on the Lenni at 109", you could quilt about 104" from the front, and 94" from the back.

Once my own Lenni arrives, I'll do the measurements on the actual machine and post them here. It's my understanding that the Lenni's should start shipping in the next 2 weeks or so. "Adonis" and "Millie" are very anxious to meet their new baby "Lenni", and so am I !!!! :)

One more thing: When measuring your room, keep in mind that you can put the teflon sliders under the legs of your machine and easily move it back & forth when you need more room to work on the front or back. I have both of my machines tight up against the wall, one on the left and one on the right. No problems, and YES, when you're trying to squeeze around it, every inch does count. ;)

Another thing: Figure out how you're going to get the machine pieces into the room. With the Lenni, that's not so important because the table comes apart, but with the other machines, you have to be able to get the rollers and table rails coming into the room at a direct angle. They do NOT bend! :P Also, READ the MANUAL before setting the table up so you KNOW which way you want to orient the table. It's a little hard to turn the machine around after it's all set up, unless you're in a very large space!

Have a great day! I'm busy ditching around 28 star blocks. Then I get to have some fun on the background with Rainbows thread. :D

Archived