Stand Alone Bobbin Winder

More questions on the standalone winder. I have trouble where the thread pops out of the tension guide.

If I am not paying attention when this happens, it is a sorry mess. When it is misbehaving, i have to monitor and even hold the thread in place. UGH!!!!

Any ideas? Jules

The winder I use has a hole above the tension discs that you put the thread through and then through the discs which can be tightened up by a thumb screw so the thread cannot pop out. I put the cone on a cone holder above the winder and it seems to have enough tension that way. Never tried the nets as I don't use slippery threads so far on quilting. I do use them on the embroidery machine and serger and use nets there.

I've had that problem also. There's a screw on the tension discs that you can tighten for whichever thread you have: tighter for finer, a little looser for the not so fine threads, just not too loose. Once I tightened it up the problem went away, though I'm still paranoid so I check it often when it's winding.

I wonder if it loosens up some over time and it one of those things we need to watch.

I have a hard time reading the "diagram" for threading the stand alone bobbin winder, that came with the instructions?! After you thread through the little hole above the tension discs - do you wrap the thread in the tension discs above or below and over? If I wrap the thread under and back around off the top the thread doesn't seem to fall out (but the bobbin is a little tightly wound?! problem . . I'm not sure yet) Any suggestions?

I tried to get a picture of the way the thread goes into the discs. I should have used a colored thread I think. You wind it clockwise, and make sure you pull it into the discs all of the way or your bobbin tension might not be right. Also, there is a "nob" or whatever you call it, on the other side of the discs, (toward your thread), that you can't see in the picture. If your bobbins aren't winding right or if the thread keeps coming out of the discs, you can turn it either way and it will tighten or loosen the area between the discs. I hope I making this clear. I'm not always good at describing this stuff.

post--13461898412024_thumb.jpg

I also use a stand alone winder, but I thread mine first through the disks and then out the hole in the little arm....I don't have any trouble of it jumping out of place, but if I don't have the correct tension on the disks I will admit it does a sloppy bobbin and I have to start over.

Before seeing your picture I really never thought to thread it different, so not sure which is right or wrong....but this way does work for me without any major trouble.

You do need to adjust the tension for different threads. It seems to me that the tension disks are backward--you have to turn the bobbin winder around to see what you are doing when you are adjust the tension. Its just one of those things that make me wonder, "Why'd they do it that way?"

I had problems with my thread jumping out of the first guide that is directly above the thread cone. I have put an empty bobbin on that thread guide and run my thread through it. I also almost use two fingers as an extra guide between that first guide and the tensioner. I watch it while it is winding and if I see it start to go wonky then I stop it immediately. Usually that won't happen until the bobbin is almost full, so I only fill my bobbins three-quarters of the way full. If I do have a badly wound bobbin then I slip it on that first thread guide and wind it onto another bobbin.

I think Sherry Rogers-Harrison has some great pictures of how she has modified her bobbin winder to eliminate a lot of the problems. She really re-worked hers so that she doesn't have to stand over it like I do. I just haven't wanted to take mine apart and move things around like she did. I probably should have DH do it for me.

Archived