What are you working on?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sherry, That doggy quilt is just great. Didn't I hear that you just got married and are only just back off honeymoon? I can't believe where you get the time from, I can't cope with normal family life, let alone organising weddings and honeymoons!!!! Well done. I REALLY need to be more organised. Please tell me that some of those quilts are customers - you didn't piece and quilt all of them did you!

I liked your idea of doubling back on the Baptist fan. I had thought of that when I was doing a small quilt - but wasn't comfortable freehanding the traveling over the previous fan - never thought of using the oval template to make sure it stayed on track. Next fan, I'm going to try this - from the back.

Kari Schell

APQS Millennium

Brooklyn Park, MN

Guest Linda S

OOOoooo! Sherry! I've been checking out the fans and the clams lately and love them, but those dogs are just so cute! I do love your quilting. Someday I hope to be able to do half as well.

Linda

:cool: The doggy quilt was really cute; don't believe I've ever seen anything like it. Did you do the piecing/applique for this quilt? Where do you find the time? As always, outstanding quilting, Sherry. Kudos for a good job & for sharing with an admiring public!

Pat

AZ

Hi Sherry!

Congratulations from over the ocean!

:D

Please come and we?ll take a weekend:Closing the doors, sending the kids to grandparents,leaving home and garden, ordering meals by catering services and start to quilt without any break*lol* (a dream?)

Best wishes

Claudia Pfeil

www.quilt-und-co.de

You guys all broke the rules! I showed you mine and and you didnt show me yours! What up with that! ;)

All joking aside...thank you for taking a look at all my latest. I had to stir up some chatter here!

Dylemma, you heard right, but that was weeks ago and I am back to business already! (wink) Most of those quilts were done prior to my wedding and the only ones that belong to me are the faux log cabin and the storm at sea. I actually just started piecing recently and belong to a small group that gets together and makes small quilts. It is great fun and I enjoy it very much.

Gable, that is one of my favorites as well!

Kari, I actually did not double back on the fans. I echoed 1/4" away. I recomend working with a buddy for this and drew up some brief instructions in the same album you referred to. I tried doing it myself and was not at all accurate.

Linda, my goodness, you are well on your way!

Pat, The dog quilt belongs to a client. I shiver at the thought of all that applique! I used the Micro drive and Maderia monofil thread to outline the applique. The backround quilting is a freehand echo using Bottom line thread.

Claudia, When can we start? :D

Hi Sherry,

It has been AGES since I have communicated with you. I have missed you! I doubt that you know what a huge impact you have made on my quilting abilities, confidence and knowledge. I dont own your book, I have never taken a class from you, I havent even met you......but you were my initial cheerleader/coach and continue to be an inspiration. I look at your webshots at least once a week, and have for years.

Ok, now that I have you all "buttered up";) I will play along with you.

I tried to attach a picture of what I finished last week. Well, almost finished, still need to bind it. Its a wholecloth I designed in a class with Karen McTavish.

Glad I finally found out where you hang out. The others here are darn lucky to have you around.

And congratulations on your recent marriage.

Gayle McKay

Mazon's Quilting

www.stevequilts.com

post--13461897611886_thumb.jpg

OHMYGAWSHNESS!!

That was sure worth the wait Gayle! It is amazing!! It is obvious that you were a good student and I have no doubt that you made Karen VERY proud!

It sure is nice to hear from you Gayle, I hope to have the chance to meet you someday soon. Keep up the great work and stick around, I have missed seeing your works of art!

PS, I am off to make some popcorn now to go with all that butter! LOL

Okay, Sherry, here is what I've been working on, although I feel way too humbled by Gayle's beautiful pink wholecloth to show mine now (it's absolutely beautiful, Gayle!). However, since I think I have finally figured out how to post a picture, I will go on and post mine. I just finished it about a week ago and got the binding on. I looks white in the picture, but it is actually a cream color. (My dad took the picture and we haven't figured out the magic trick of photographing quilts yet! Does anyone know why the quilting looks sunken in instead of puffing out? The lighting, I'm assuming??)

post--13461897612063_thumb.jpg

WOW! Lynn DOES quilt!!

And is it ever a beauty! Tell us about you Lynn, did you take some classes or were you just born with all that talent?

Suggest to Dad to set up some side lights, turn the cameras flash off and take some more pictures!

Your quilt is drop dead georgeous!!

Thank you, Sherry and Claudia. I've been LAing since January 2004 with my Discovery, then a couple weeks ago, I traded in my Discovery for a Liberty, which I just love, love, LOVE. I did take a class when I first got my machine from Kathy Olson, which was really great, but I haven't had opportunity to take any more. I only have an hour or two to quilt a day and try to make sure I get that, but it doesn't always happen. I love all parts of quilting--piecing, especially applique, hand quilting, but I really love working with my longarm; it is so much fun. It is SO hard to tear myself away from it to go to work, but I do go in to work floating on a longarm high!

Sherry, I stand in awe of your quilting, and your kind words are very special to me. I can only aspire to be half as talented and brilliant with the longarm as you are!

Lynn,

What a FABULOUS wholecloth. I particularly like the background fill. I have tried to do it similar to that and repeatedly get "lost". Any tricks to it that you are willing to share?

Did you design it too? Great job!

Gayle

Yummy yummy yummy!! What gorgeous quilts!! I am absolutely green with envy ... I am still at the baby stages of piecing but consider myself a "middy" at longarming. I think a wholecloth is definitely on my "list" of quilts to do ...but it will have to wait until next year.

And Sherry, since I can't figure out how to post a pic (I'll have to ask my friend Gayle!), you can see what I've been doing at

http://community.webshots.com/user/sammiq1946

Thanks for sharing!

sammi

The wholecloth quilts are beautiful. I bought Karens book in Houston this past November and have been attempting to do one of these on my own.I have designed the top and started to trapunto the top. What brand of water-soluable thread do you ladies use on the long-arm. I tried using the small cone and brand that I used on my home machine but the thread kept breaking. Thanks. Kathie @ Kalico Kat Quilting

Lynn wrote-

(My dad took the picture and we haven't figured out the magic trick of photographing quilts yet! Does anyone know why the quilting looks sunken in instead of puffing out? The lighting, I'm assuming??)

It looks like you posted the picture upside down. try turning it 180 and see how it looks.It's the shadows that make it appear like that. I have done that myself, lol.

Your work is stunning, and the overhead light really shows off the quilting. Try taking it outside when the weather permits. Nothing beats daylight!

Caron

http://community.webshots.com/user/ccarlson518

http://www.windows-essentials.com

Caron Carlson

Y'all completely humble me!!!! Awesome quilting!!!

!!!!WOWSERS!!!!

Those quilts are absolutely breath-taking!!!!!.....

I would post pictures.... that is, *IF* I had anything I have been working on lately....<sigh> busy life- living in a construction zone (new house)- BIG changes on the way too- sooooooo....... I am waiting for my inspiration to arrive before I can quilt "my masterpiece" -BIG GIGGLE!!!-

I LOVE LOVE LOVE seeing quilt pictures posted!!!!

Guest Linda S

Lynn that quilt is GORGEOUS!! And, as far as it looking dented in instead or puffed out, go back and look at it again. It is a trick our eyes play on us. If you look at it long enough, it will puff out again! :P I've gotten down the no flash and side or top lighting, but always seem to have a bit of glare from the lighting source. I have to work on my photography skills.

Linda

I just finished quilting this huge applique quilt, and even though the quilting doesn't compare to the whole cloth quilts or the doggy quilt, I thought you might like to see the beautiful applique.

I know the full size picture doesn't show the quilting, so I will attach a few more shots just to prove it *is* quilted. I'm a former student of Sherry's and the classes I took from her are still opening doors for me. Thanks Sherry!

Archived