Backing question - newbie

Hello to all from a newbie,

I am getting ready to load a personal quilt 97 x 120 inches. I have a wide 108" backing by 4 yards or so. I am going to use the "Featheration" pantograph.

Question 1: If I am loading the quilt long ways, i.e. the 120 inch side along the poles, can I use the selvage edges of the backing as my straight line/edge for pinning on to the leaders? I could square up the cut edges but do I need to remove the selvages? I have ample amounts of backing. Or do I need to square the entire backing?

Question 2: Loading the quilt this way would mean the pantograph would be going up and down the length of the quilt. However, I have practiced on a full size muslin sandwich (at least!) and really can't see any obvious difference looking either across or length ways? Of course, another long arm quilter would surely be able to tell. But does it really matter since the pattern is edge to edge and done correctly, there really aren't any obvious breaks?

Thanks in advance!

Judy

Judy - I use the selveges to pin to the leaders as often as I can. It helps to keep me from stretching the edge as I pin to the zippers. I don't know if it is the "right" thing to do.......but it works for me.

If you think the panto looks fine stitched the long way, then go for it! I try to load quilts the long way as often as I can, especially for all over designs. Quilting goes much faster!

Good luck!

Judy: I am one of those lurkers who occasionally chimes in. What and by whom is the featherations panto pattern? Personally I prefer free hand but I am practicing pantographs. I realize the answer is practice, practice...I am at it often. Whatever information you can give is appreciated. Jo-Ellen:)

Judy,

I am one of those that tears and rips the selvages off. That way I know I have the straight of grain pinned to the leader. If I am piecing the backer, I also rip and tear the selveges off before piecing these to ensure my fabric is square and sewn straight on the grain. I think it makes life way easier; lesser chance for sagging backers.

Just my $.02

What a lot of good advice!

Here is how lazy I am--we have all been told to remove the selvedges from pieced backers to release the tighter-woven edges. I load with the selvedges to the leaders, but I don't pin into the selvedge--I pin just above on the "good" fabric and tug slightly as I load. This works well and I don't need to rip off the edges. As I said--lazy!!!!!

Pet peeve---wide backers cut off the bolt without regard to the grain--you know, those deadly parallelograms! There, I vented!

Happy stitching!

Hi Jo-Ellen,

I am also a lurker as you can see from the number of my posts. The pantograph is called Featheration. 13¾" Wide Design by Keryn Emmerson. I believe I purchased the pantograph from King'sMen quilting supply. Before I tried it though, I've been practicing "Popcorn" by Jodi Beamish. That is a really good one for learning to do round circles in stead of square ones :)

Judy

Archived