Quilt shop connections / partners in business

Cindy

This afternoon I was informed that a quilt shop in our area is "losing" their long arm quilter / long arm machine. This can be a potentially good opportunity to increase my business. This quilt shop in the past has had up to a 8 month "waiting" list for quilts to be quilted. Does anyone out there have arrangements with quilt shops to process their quilts or serve as a handling service for customers to drop off thier quilt tops? If so, how formal of an agreement do you have with the shop? Do you give the shop a "handling" fee or percentage of the price? do you have scheduled pick up / delivery days? Do you have a sample book of designs or patterns the customer can choose from? Any other things I should consider? I am planning on meeting with this owner next week and want to have all my ducks in a row. I'd appreciate any help and feedback. Thanks, Cindy.

I have a local quilt shop that lets quilts get dropped off & picked up at her shop. She also sends quite a bit of business my way. I have taken "classes" of hers for about 3 or 4 years. I've only had my Mille since the end of July last year and talked to the lady before even getting my machine. I'm sure that she does the same for other quilters in the area, but it works out great for me. She doesn't charge me for the service and I truly appreciate it. Goodluck with your meeting!!

Kelly

Horror stories abound with "partnerships" when you occupy space within their shop. But if you do their samples and pick up and drop off there, it sounds like a win-win situation. I have two local shops here for whom I quilt. They get quilting... and I get customers. (I also don't charge one shop anything, and the other one gets "retail for retail" billing.)

I would never locate my business within their location but I enjoy both of us being independent business owners. I don't sell backing--they do. I have some batting, but not what they sell. It is a symbiotic relationship with the end result being a finished customer quilt... meaning the customer needs to buy more fabric! ;)

Just one more point, when you use a shop for drop off and pick-up, make sure the customer knows that you are an independant business person. Even when you tell them so, sometimes it doesn't register. I know of one situation where a client was not happy with a quilters work and came back into the shop and made a fuss, very embarassing for all. Then another lady came in to the shop to pick up a quilt and was only prepared to pay by credit card, because that's how she pays for her fabric there.

I am getting my Liberty in a few weeks despite the issues,(yeah! :P) but I have only seen it so far from the standpoint of working in the shop.

Caron Carlson

Waiting for Lily!

http://community.webshots.com/user/ccarlson518

It's very interesting reading your advice and empathy. I am starting my own quilting business, too. I have been quilting for about 40 years, but have just recently decided to buy my own LAQ machine. I have most of the details worked out - space, setting up company, etc., but am a little anxious when it comes to buying the machine. It is a big investment! Do you have any advice? I want to be able to sit while quilting. I have rented a friend's Gammill for over 5 years and completed probably 20-25 a year.

Nellie

• 1 month later...

I began quilting for a fabric shop using their new Millie. It's been 1 1/2 years now and the owner wants the space the machine is using to remodel the store. So instead of losing my job and clientele that's been built in this time I've decided to buy the machine and build a studio. While working for the store the split was 50/50. But, now I'm buying everything and the costs are now mine. What's a good split...any ideas?

The store will be taking the quilts in and I'll be returning the quilts to the store for pickup. They will pay the store and then they cut me a check. I need the store to make this go. Does anyone else live in this situation? Are there special things to worry about? Would love all the input you are willing to share.

Biting my nails,

Betty:o

Betty

If you are buying the machine and doing all the work AND picking up and dropping off.....then the quilt store should be getting very little of your cut. I know of others that do this same thing and it is their full time job. Talk to the quilt shop owner and cut a deal. Either a small percentage or a set price per quilt for a handling fee. Please don't let the owner guilt you into getting a large cut because it will no longer be his business, it will be yours. If the owner isn't willing to accomodate, work out your own business plan and get your own customers. Best of luck to you!

Diana

Thanks for answering Diana.

You're right. I was just hoping to get verification on what percentage others were getting from fabric stores on quilts, so I have backup when talking to the owner. He's a very fair person, but it's always good to know what's the norm.

And you're a new Millie owner !!! How exciting for you. How's it going ?

Betty

Hi Betty...

I, too, think that the shop-owner should get very little for this service. Most of the benefit to them is the business they in turn get by having your customers coming to their shop. I think the more that you can gain control of the whole situation without harming your relationship with the shop-owner, the better. Maybe instead of the shop-owner having to handle the transactions you could have a set time - maybe every second Friday morning, for example - that you are available at the shop to take in quilts.

I guess you could set a payment for the shop but I really think that the traffic you generate for them is payment enought.

Sandra :cool:

I agree Sandra. But alas, it is a little bit of a sticky situation because the machine and business started out as the quilt shop owners. However, things change. If you talk it out calmly with him or her, then you can poit out the advantages to you both and come to a mutual agreement! Good luck!

Diana

• 6 years later...

Hi Betty,

I have a similar arrangement with a local quilt shop. They take in the quilts, introduce the customer to me, they sell thread, fabric and batting, and handle the transaction.They get 15% of my fee. I raise my fee 15% to cover this cost. My regular customers get my normal price. I don't tell shop customers of our arrangement but I think it is fair since the quilt shop is providing us both with a service. It is more convenient for the customer to come to the shop for pick up and drop off. Be fair and honest, be specific about your prices and the designs that you will do and keep excellent records. Be honest about how long it will take you to finish your quilts so the shop doesn't get a lot of calls. Cover as many details as you can and put it all in writing. Good luck, Betty.

Archived