Making Baptist Fans...Ka-Ching!

Good Morning!

Who likes baptist fans? Who likes all the stops and starts and securing of threads? What about all the hours of clipping threads when your finished? Still with me?

I recently used my Circle Lord in a way that avoided all the not sew wonderful aspects of using this design. I invited a good buddy over for the day and we both worked together to make this design continuous. I worked from front and my buddy worked from the back raising and lowering the stylus that ran in the baptist fan maker. Instead of tying off each fan blade, I used a circle template to echo 1/4" away from the previous fan. This resulted in a finished quilt in about 4 hours with zero stops and starts and zippo trimming of threads after the quilt was finished! I was thrilled and I made a ton of money on the quilt! My client was beyond thrilled with the final results and I was confidant that the quilting was very stable.

Well, I wanted more! I wanted a giant template that would allow me to work alone and not have to rely upon the buddy system sew I begged Michael to make something for us. I figured I would have to grovel and whine for along time before this came to fruition but it's here and I am beyond happy with it's form!

I recieved the first one off the production line yesterday and plopped it down on the back of the machine, set my stylus in the groove and off I went! The rows take about 8 min. to finish and this is a king size quilt! I figure about 10-12 rows and it will be done. Lets see....that means this 120 x 120 quilt will be done in less then 2 hours! That's where the *Ka-Ching* noise factors in!!!

Wanna see pictures? Thought sew! I up-loaded a few but will add more when the quilt is finished today.

If you have questions for Michael he can be contacted through http://www.loricles.com or

http://community.webshots.com/photo/90643117/317786303bftLdE

You can see more pictures that I took using the buddy system here, http://community.webshots.com/album/317803835niDWmi

Holler if you have any questions!

post--13461897613107_thumb.jpg

Guest Linda S

Wow Sherry! I hope you got a little Kaching from helping to design it! I didn't realize you'd gotten a Millenium. I'm taking the Circle Lord class with Linda Mae Diny at MQX, trying to decide if I would really use it. I recently sold my Hartley Fence because it ended up just sitting there. This looks so very cool. I can't wait! Only four more days till MQX. I get to go play in the quilting world!!

Linda

Hi Gretchen and Linda!

Yes, I made the switch about a month ago. It was a diffacult decision to have to make as I LOVED my Liberty! However, since I do demos with the machine I use I found most were interested in seeing the Millenium. It sure didnt take me long to grow to love it as much as I did the Liberty. Perhpas someday I will have room for more then one machine again.

Linda,

I did get the first one! And if others love it as much as I do, I will be very happy!

Sherry,

I have a question...why couldn't I use the Ka-ching thing with my laser light to make the fans? Probably wouldn't be as perfect as with the stylus, at least at first...but with practice? Just a thought that ran through my head when I saw it. Love the idea of that thing...you are such a whiz!

Phyllis

Hi All!

I finished another Baptist Fan quilt today using my King Fan template and wanted to share pictures of this one with you. This quilt is mine, it was purchased from Ebay several years ago and has sat with many others just waiting to be finished. I have no history on the quilt maker but it is hand pieced and 83 X 83.

This quilt took me 2.5 hours from start to finish to complete and that time includes applying the binding while it was on the longarm. The binding was already prepared as I bought it from Ready Bias .com. I applied the binding after I finished the fans.

Here is a picture of the front and below is a picture of the back. More photos are in my Webshots album if you want to take a peek.

post--13461897613292_thumb.jpg

I think the template is neat - however, I don't think I would do enough of them to justify the investment. I was hoping he was going to do it as a single fan mounted on the CL plate. I was thinking that when you got done, you could keep the needle in the fabric, undo the lock and move the base over, drop the needle and keep sewing. It would be a little more work - but a lot less storage and a lot more affordable. Then maybe there could be one for a small size Baptist Fan. Sort of like how to did it with your friend - without the friend.

Wishful thinking on my part.

Kari Schell

Brooklyn Park, MN

Have been drooling over your BF quilts all yesterday on the MQP site. Never imagined he would so quickly make the template you were asking for. Resisted emailing Michael to put me on the list for it yesterday, but know I have to send for it now. Have the clamshell and zigzag ones and love them, but this looks even better.

Will be in the Fun with Circle Lord also; can hardly believe that it is nearly time to go to MQX.

• 1 month later...

Dear Sherry:

I just got my Circle Lord and a Baptist Fan last week and I absolutely love it! Michael said to tell you thanks for the Kingsize Baptist Fan. It was your idea...

All I can say is WoW! My work on the back of the machine has never looked so good... My friends will never know how easy it is. THANK YOU!!!

Archived