NC long arm quilters, Outside city limits

RitaR

If there is anyone here in North Carolina, outside city limits, that has a long arm business and would be willing to give input on what all is needed, business license, tax number, etc... I'd really appreciate hearing from them.

At this point I'm just tossing this around as a part time, part time, possible business and have no idea what is involved... even if it's just what to do or who to contact first, that info would really be great. This would be nothing to pay off the machine or make a living on. Too old for that.

Ritarose

Hi there. I am in NC, but within city limits in Greensboro. Where are you? I did have to get a business privilege license. I also have a Tax ID number. Both were super easy to get.

I found the following site very useful. It is the NC Business Servi-Center.

http://www.nccommerce.com/en/BusinessServices/StartYourBusiness

There is also www.carolinalongarm.org They have a Yahoo group too. You may be able to find more info there.

Good Luck!

Thank you Tina: We are down near Sanford.

Should have explained that after 26 years in Calif and 9 up in Oregon, while full time RVing most of the time,, we just lost touch with what to do, and west coast is very diff from east coast.. we are finding. ;)

I appreciate the info, it gives me somewhere to start.. I just don't want to be breaking laws, not paying taxes due if due, etc..

So.. doing a lot of checking first. Would also be considering painting gold pans to sell, so.. it could go any way.

Thanks again, I've talked with a neighbor of yours, Susan over in Albemarle. Waiting for her to get home.

Ritarose

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ritarose;

I am in NC also, outside Raleigh. I am seriously thinking about purchasing a long arm within the next six months or so. I don't have any dealers near by so I am thinking of hopefully visiting someone with a machine and talk to them about it.

I don't see this as a business but more of a hobby.

I will be in Fl in a couple of weeks and plan to visit the open house on the 28th. Will see it first hand.

You are not too far from me, maybe we can get together and chat about quilting!!

Olivia

Hi Olivia, I'd love to meet up. So odd... I too will be looking at the APQS machines on Sept. 28, but up in Winston Salem.

If you are around Oct. 19, 20, 21, our guild is having a quilt show at the Ag. Extension Office, (McSwain Center) on Tramway at the south end of Sanford, and I'd like to invite you. Admission is only $3. I will be working, but don't know which day.. won't until The day, as I can't always depend on being on my feet and getting around.

I''m entering a quilt and a table runner. Next year will be more prepared, and have more of a variety to enter, I hope.

Talk to you again soon.. Rita

Is anyone from NC interested in joining another Yahoo group for APQS owners only. This is a group where we share ideas about our business, post pics of our quilts and basically can talk freely among ourselves as business owners.

This is separate from the carolina long arm group in that it would be exclusive to APQS owners in NC and the southeast US.

I feel like as a group of owners, we can learn a lot from each other and need to support each other.

The name of the group is SE APQS Group. If you want to join send me an email!

Oh Rita,

Susan is absolutely awesome! If you have not talked to her you need to...she is wonderful and can answer any of your questions about starting a long arm business.

She will be at the show in Winston! Don't forget to join us for our show in Clemmons, NC - September 28 and 29 that same weekend. Stephanie mentioned this show and we hope it will be really great! This show is promoting long armers in NC

Archived