Loosen the take-up bars?

My old machine quilter was a converted Grace MQ frame and I used to leave a quilt on it with tension, eventually I noticed that the poles were slightly bending inward. Would I have to release the tension on the rachets on the Ultimate II 12' table too?

Thanks for all your posts in this forum - I am loving reading all the conversations - VERY HELPFUL!!

I've read that you should release the tension on your fabric when you finish quilting for the day, but I've never read why. I always move the machine off to the side, when I have to stop quilting even for a few minutes, but I leave the quilt the way it is when I stop. At the end of the day, sometimes I'll roll the quilt and set it up so I'm ready to go for the next day, including leaving the brake and the clamps on. Since the tension isn't supposed to be tight, why would it hurt the quilt or the machine?

If I'm harming my machine or the quilt, please explain to me how its being harmed. As they say, "Inquiring minds want to know." I'm not disagreeing with you, Linda, I just want to know why.

I have gotten into the habit of loosening my quilt by 2 teeth every time I leave the machine. By releasing it the same amount every time, it doesn't matter if I have already advanced the quilt to the next row or not, it's always consistant. Just advance 2 teeth and put it back where it was. I never worry about it anymore. ;)

Phyllis,

I'm trying to remember where I learned that about dropping the clamps and releasing the brake. Myrna maybe. Not sure. I only clamp the backing fabric which may or may not be pieced. And the quilt is not taut between the rollers. Maybe I'm just giving it a rest. :P:D It's just habit now.

I have never had any oil issues either but I never leave my machine head over a quilt when I walk away from it for more than a minute.

Hi Annlittle

I've never understood the viewpoint that leaving a quilt tensioned damages it either so I'm looking forward to hearing why this could be the case - I might have to change the way I do things. I always leave my quilt tensioned - sometimes for days and have no problems with distortion of the quilt or bending of the rollers.

Tensioning the quilt supports it, tightening stretches it. (I think).

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

To Release OR NOT to Release the Quilt Tension - AND-Do I REALLY need to move my machine head?

Moving the machine head? or NOT

I have been longarm quilting for many years and have never needed to move the head of my machine away from the quilt whenever I walk away. HOWEVER, there are a couple of brands of machines out there in the world that REQUIRE you to move the head as they have oil drip problems!

Releasing the tension bars? or NOT

As for releasing the quilt... Unless you are putting some MAJOR stretching tension on the quilt the tension bars should NEVER need to be released! Afterall, this is NOT an embroidery machine so that even the slightest loss of tension in the fabrics will cause the pattern to be skewed! Even when using my CompuQuilter where I really don't want the pattern to turn out a little "wonky" I never have the tension on the quilt set that tight!

YES! there are "Quilt Police" out there! I was given an "official" pin stating that I belonged to that organization. The pin says "QUILT POLICE"!:cool:

Hope this helps a little on the confusion of tension releasing and moving the machine head. Sometimes it just depends on "How TIGHT" is the quilt tensioned AND does your machine have an oil leakage problem? I have never known of an APQS machine that would leak oil on a quilt!

Dang...I didn't know the "Quilting Police" lived so close!! I better watch what I'm doing.

I never move my machine head. When I read that I thought that was one more thing I'm doing wrong. But my machine never drips so I guess I'm good.

I did start letting the tension off - if I think about it - when I am finished for the day. I don't keep the tension real tight, but just thought it makes sense to let it rest too.

MB

Nice cat on a very pretty quilt.

When We first got our millie I started putting an older sheet across the rollers at night. I had read about doing that in a post at this site. After about three times of falling through to the floor the cat gave up on using that area to nap. When I have a quilt on the machine I still put a sheet over it at night ~ just in case.

Archived