Newbie on board

Hi everybody,

I'm new here, and all excited as I posted my order for a Millenium yesterday!

I must admit that I have been lurking for a couple of weeks on here (and have been overwhelmed with the beautiful, gorgeous work I could see in all your pictures) - but only now feel somehow entitled to actually be here.

I'm in Germany and first met Jim, Philippe and Sue Patten last fall during a quilt show in France (and then again in Germany a few monsth later). Ever since, I've been sitting on the fence with this. A longarm machine has been my dream ever since I first learned that there are such machines.

Three weeks ago, hubby and I visited Claudia and met her Millie, ... well, and here I am waiting for mid-May when "my" machine is supposed to be delivered. (I still cannot believe that I actually did this LOL)

Looking forward to chatting with you.

Best, Birgit

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

Well, I've been notified earlier this week that my machine is ready to ship to Germany. You probably can imagine that I'm all excited.

Now, I'm wondering what I need to get up front in order jump right in when my machine will be here soon. Any suggestions?

I have a 25 meters roll of batting that I'm planing to use and I've been piecing some tops to get started. There's plenty of muslin in my stash.

Will I need quilting stencils and a suitable marking tool right from the start? And would it be a good idea to order some of that Miracle Chalk that everybody is talking about so enthusiastically? What about books?

Why do I feel like this entire undertaking will be a lot more expensive than just purchasing the machine? ;-)

Thanks a lot for any advise you can share.

Best, Birgit

Norece,

That's a good question you are asking. What am I actually planing on doing?

Well, other than in the US, longarm quilting is absolutely new here in Germany, and probably even in Europe. Currently, there are only a handful longarm machines in Germany.

As far as I see it, I'll be in a situation to maybe generate demand amongst quilters.

Taking this situation into accont, all I can say is that I'd like to make longarm quilting a business for me and that I'd like to enjoy myself quilting for others. Using my Bernina, I mostly did free motion quilting. In combination with my machine quilting frame, I quilted a few panthos I drew myself. So far, I always have hated using stencils due to the lack of a marking tool that is visible long enough to quilt the pattern and that can be used on all color fabrics. Miracle Chalk may be the solution but I haven't tried it yet.

BTW, I just got informed that my machine has arrived at Frankfurt airport, will go through customs tomorrow and most likely will be delivered to my house on Monday....

Birgit

Guest Linda S

Congratulations Birgit! You will have a wonderful time with your Millie! I can remember how exciting it was waiting for my machine. Half way between the happy dance and what have I done? :D You'll be having fun in no time!

Claudia - Ich verstehe, aber ich spreche nicht so gut. Es ist zu viele Jahre seit ich Deutches studiert. Hope that wasn't too bad!!

Linda

Birgit: Congratulations on the new machine. I have a group of toppers in Germany who have made quite a few Quilts of Valor and are desperately looking for someone to quilt them. It might be a good opportunity for you to work on some real quilts once you're ready. If you're interested, please send me an e-mail and I'll put you in touch with the lady there.

Norece: I do pantos and don't ever do any math! NO math! I would get tired of doing pantos all the time but I sure don't mind doing them every now and then.

Archived