12 or14 ft table? HF or CL?? Help!!

rcck00

I am about to order my Milli, and I can't decide which size tabe to get. My room can handle either size, but the 12' would be a bit easier.

I definitely want to be able to quilt king size. Can you tell me how long the leaders actually are on each size? How large are king size quilts??

My next question is concerning the Hartley Fence vs the Cirlce Lord. If I am planning on getting the CL, would I still need the HF? Does the CL allow you to do what the HF does?

Also, about the CL, do you have to get the Basic + kit in order to use the kingsize BF or Clamshells?

Thanks for any info. I've been reading and reading, and I can't tell you what a wealth of information I have found here!!

I feel like I'm walking into a room full of friends every time I come in!

Thanks!

~Cathy

Cathy,

As for the HF or CL choice, that is a personal choice. There are sections in the chat that have all kinds of information on both. My advice is to go to the Gadgets section and then read through the threads and then make your choice. Some people love HF and some people love CL. I personally am waiting for my HF because it will do everything I want to do. Linda S. swears by her CL and I am sure she will write. Her work with CL is wonderful. Mryna Ficken is our expert on HF and maybe she will put her two cents in.

Congrats on your Millie and good luck with your decision, either way I am sure you will have a wonderful time with your new Millie.:cool:

Hi, another newbie here, but I have my machine. I have a 12' table and that's all I can fit in the room and still walk around it. As for the HF or CL. I am leaning towards the CL. I took a class on the HF but I am convinced that the CL will better fill my needs and my business (customers). Weigh the costs associated with each.

As above, you will find HF fans and CL fans. There are specific threads about each product.

Also think about whether you will be doing pantographs, etc.

Good luck with this!!

Hi Cathy,

I have the 14' table, love it. If you have room for it, get it, you won't be sorry. I have had a couple of quilts that have taken up very close to the whole thing.

CL vs HF - yes, read up on them. Go to the CL web site @ www.loriclesquilting.com. Then for HF, I think you can see some work at the APQS web site if you go to the information about the fence.

I have had both HF then CL. For me I never used the HF. I did buy the workbook that Myrna wrote. If you go that route you should take her classes and get the video along with the workbook. I think if you do that you use it more.

For me, it is CL all the way. I love the CL and recommend it highly. However, you have to decide what is best for you and your company. No matter which one you choose, it is a big expence, and you should decide if you will use it enough to justify the expense.

I can see the CL taking the place of my pantos in some cases and it is faster than using pantos, so that is always a plus.

Good luck in your quest.

Mary Beth

If you can fit the bigger table, go for it... This is the biggest quilt I have had on my machine to date (124 X 124) They say a picture's worth a thousand words... I had to take my HF off just to be able to get to one side. It was a panto and because of the offset for the laser I almost couldn't get to the right hand edge.

As I said, I have the HF but don't use it as much as I would like, still waiting to take Myrna's classes.

post--13461898516606_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I got the 12foot table because that was all the room I had. Remember you can put one end of the machine next to the wall and only walk around on one side. I would get the largest size that you can comfortable walk around.

Why not wait on the HF and CL until you have your machine and begin stitching. You can then determine what type of quilting you like and then make a more educated decision. You may find that you like working on the freehand side of the machine more than the other side and wouldn't enjoy either one. Once you feel comfortable with the machine, see if anyone in your area has the HF or CL. Trying them both out will help in your decision.

One thing I didn't buy until I had my machine for 2 years was the hydraulic lift. Sure wish I had bought that in the beginning. It is so nice to be able to adjust the height with a push of a button to accomodate what height I desire for the different type of quilting.

Best wishes,

Char

Hi Cathy,

I just sold my 14 ft and bought a 12 ft. The math tells me that 12 ft is 144 inches and that 14 ft is 168". :P Yeah, I had to drag out the calculator for that.

But my 14 ft table had 144" zippers, not 168" zippers.

My 12 ft has 120" zippers, not 144 inches zippers.

Now you don't have to use the zippers, that's not what I'm saying. But compare the quiting space, you get 24" or 2 full feet more with the 14 ft. If you have the room, go for it. I have only done one quilt in two years that was bigger than 120". I down-sized to 12 ft so I wouldn't have to have my machine diagonally in the room.

As for the HF versus the CL, everybody has a story. Me, too. My machine came with the HF, couldn't figure it out. Bought Myrna's workbook (this was before her DVD came out). I went to Salt Lake City and took her class on the HF. I tried it and actually put it in 2 or 3 quilts. But the set-up was clunky. I had to keep taking the idler arm off (sticks out about 18" to the right (from the back of the machine). I would forget that it was there and leave my chalk, rulers etc on the table and the arm kept shoving things off the end of my table. Grrr. The CL stylus bar sticks out about the same as the laser light, about 3 inches on the left side (from the back of the machine). The CL requires you to raise your carriage so you clear the templates when you drive over them. Raising the carriage took less than 2 hours and regular tools. (no drilling). The CL base is stored under my machine and when I need it, it mounts on my machine in 15 seconds, no tools required. The downside of the CL is the price. The base unit costs about the same as the HF. You can make a gazillion concentric circles (like a 1/16th apart) using the base unit. You have to buy the CL templates separately. Well, HF is like that too, now that I think about it. Loricles does allow you to pay 12 monthly payments when you order it; that takes some of the bite out of it. I use my CL when I want to put something special in a quit, like a perfect star or a WOW flower or a Ginkgo leaf or Baptist Fans. I sold my HF.

Good luck on your decision.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses.

I have decided to go with the 14' table. It will be huge!! But I can fit it in.

The jury is still out about the HF vs CL. So many decisions!

The only decision that I don't find myself second-guessing is getting the Millie. I have looked and looked at all of the other possibilities, and I just keep coming back to her. She has every feature that I want, and a few I hadn't thought of! One of which is the hydraulic table lift...

I hear a lot of people love it, but my dealer was saying that if there is only one person using the machine that I wouldn't need it. Anyone care to elaborate on why they like it, and when they use it??

I currently have the New Joy frame with the Brother 1500. I love the way it moves and stitches, but the restriction on stitching space is driving me nuts!!

I'm spending more time advancing the quilt than I am stitching. When you get down to it, you really only have 5-6" of stitching space... It gets frustrating.

So, I'm moving up, baby!! I am so excited, I just can't hardly stand it!

Thanks again, Ladies!!

~Cathy

Linda, your response answered a lot of my questions!! Thank you!!

The fact that you've had both, and measured them both, helps me a lot. Big help, there!!

Thanks, also, for your detailed opinions and experience with both the HF and CL. I'm hearing (and reading many back-posts) a lot of people say there is a learning curve with the HF that the CL doesn't have.

I am leaning towards the CL...

I had planned to get the HF from the beginning, and I wanted the CL, too. But then somebody here said that getting both wasn't necessary (cannot for the life of me find that post again!). That was really my question... can they both do the same thing? And if so, which one do people prefer?

Thanks for taking the time to give me so much information. You ladies are wonderful!!

~Cathy

Cathy;

Jut another thought. Our recommendation is to buy the largest table you have room for. This way you never say "I wish I". It is a little early for you to decide which you want the HF or CL. Get a few quilts behind you and become comfortable with you machine doing basic quilting before you make this decision. We own both and the HF gets used on a regular basis and the CL sits unused. Good luck and enjoy you new machine. Your local dealer can help you with these decisions. This is the reason to select a local dealer that has your interests in mind and can give you solid advice, help and service after your purchase.

John

I have recently read in a blog from Michael, founder of CL, that you do not need the basic set up to use the giant templates. All you need is the stylus. Of course, the basic set up is really handy to have, but the stylus is the necessary tool for using the templates.

Go with as large and as much as you can afford and have space for. You will never regret having 'too much space' to work with. I have the 12' table because of space. There are times the 14' would be handy, but generally, the 12' is big enough for me. I'll gladly let someone else do the huge quilts. The largest I have done is 110" - way big enough for me!! I believe my leaders are 120", but that would include extra inches for the backing of a king quilt.

Hope this is helpful.

Hi,

When I initially bought my Millie, my local dealer also told me that I didn't need to spend the $ on the hydraulic lift as I was the only one using the machine.

Well, I regretted not getting it and finally bought it two years later. It is nice to raise it up when I am loading a quilt, when I decide to sit and quilt or for close up work. I find that changing the height of the table helps my back also.

I feel that it was one of the wisest investments I have made, after purchasing the Millie of course.

Char

Hi,

My Milli, "JJ", was put together this past Wednesday by Jim from APQS. I did purchase the hydraulic lift and after the table was set up wondered if I would need it. I am not very tall and the lowest level seemed good to me. Today I had it up and down a few times. Cleaning out the bobbin area is easier when I can see it through the bifocal part of my glasses. Leaning over put the bobbin area in the other part of the glasses. I also purchased the HF. However, I haven't tried it. Jim suggested that I practice on fee hand and pantos before going to the HF. Hence I can't tell anyone if I like it or not. My table is the 14 ft one. It is huge! I can get around one end. I went with the 14 ft table as I knew that I did have the room.

Hope this helps.

Pamela

Hi Pamela,

I have decided to get the hydraulic lift, my husband called and added it to my order this past Friday!

I had originally thought it was a great idea, but then started questioning it when my dealer said he thought it wasn't necessary. Looking back on his comments at the time, I think he really dislikes setting them up! But after hearing of how people put theirs to use, I decided it would probably be a prudent purchase.

I've had two back surgeries already, and I have no interest whatsoever in going for three.

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate your taking the time.

Congratulations on your JJ!!

Still trying to think of a name for mine....

Thanks,

~Cathy

Hi Cathy,

I am so not handy and I was able to figure out how to install the hydraulic lift. From what I understand, the one that APQS sells now is different from the original one. This one has good instructions and either your rep or you should have no problem setting it up.

Good choice to protect your back.

Char

I had a Hartley and must confess I never put it on the table. I bought the book and took a class but still it just didn't shall we say light my fire. I notice that when a circle lord goes up for sale used it is snapped up quickly. A Hartley may sit on the site for a time. I recently got a Milli and laid the big king sized templates on the table and could just go. It looked great and was instantly usable to a new user. I have quilts lined up of my own to practice with. I am going to specialize on this when I first start trying to get customer quilts. I saw Micheal and Kay and Innovations and further looked at the products and have decided that Circle Lord is great and can't wait to learn it. It is an investment to get set up in but there are very few businesses that don't cost money to set up.

• 6 months later...

I have ordered my Millie and was trying to decide between the 12\' or 14\' table - I originally ordered the 14\' because I had the room and everyone said if you have the room do it. However, upon seeing Leslie\'s picture (thank you so much) I realized several things. While I do have a huge studio I like the free space for other things or even just so my brain does not feel cluttered and overwhelmed, I never see myself doing a quilt that big but most importantly I want to have this machine for the rest of my life but I do not always want to have a house this big to clean for the rest of my life so I changed to the 12\' table. Just another perspective to think about;)

My husband and I just set up my Millie over the weekend. I have a 12\' table even though I have room for the 14\' table. After quilting for a while and working at my lqs teaching, I just don\'t see the need for the bigger table here in Florida. I think the 126" leaders will provide me enough space. I too have been debating the CL and HF options and have decided to use my machine a bit before heading down that road. It seems that it might just be personal preferrence.

Good luck and have fun!

I have two comments to make:

#1. I have the CL Swirls giant template, I had to order the stylus to go with it. Michael said that should I order the CL basic, it will be $99 cheaper b/c I already have the stylus.

#2. A professional quilter (I consider myself a practicing newbie) in our area asked my husband to cut her 14\' table down to fit in her new house. She asked him to cut it down to 10 1/2 feet. My husband was really nervous that she would change her mind afterwards and say.....I wish......

but she seems to be very happy with it and she can still get around her machine w/o having to put one end of it in the closet. She said when she has larger quilts to do that she will just load them sideways. (she does an awful lot of high dollar custom)

Like Myrna, I am not sure that I want to do any quilt that I HAVE to have the 14\' table for.

Archived