Running Bear

It's way too quiet in here this weekend. Is

everyone at MQX??

Here's a picture of my red bear paw before it was washed in HOT water to get the red runs out of it. The binding is on and I'm afraid to really look at it too closely. Not sure I'll enter it or not but I still like it.

post--13461897614885_thumb.jpg

Wow! Your quilt is really beautiful!

When I wash any quilts I always add one or two sheets of the "Shout" brand color catcher. I found it in the softner aisle of good ole Wallyworld and just love it! If any excess color runs off, these little sheets catch it and the quilt stays the correct color. Have you used this or any other method when washing your quilts?

I just returned from my first class and feel extremely empowered. Now if what I am feeling will just go from my head to my fingers!!! I know I am going to finally figure out how to make a really good feather! Practice!

Sue:

Don't count on it all the time. I had washed this red once already. Then when I realized it was going to run after it got damp while removing blue marks, I washed the quilt in cold water to remove the blue marks. I put in 6 Color Catchers and they came out RED. The whole quilt was a total mes at that point. I checked every resource I could find and decided to wash the quilt in HOT water with Synthrapol. Had to do that twice, then I used a bar of Fels Naptha soap to rub over the areas that remained red mottled. Washed it again and I think the red is all out.

Of course, the red that ran was the one I intended to use for the binding. I used a total of 20 Color Catchers with one yard of this red fabric and then used Synthrapol, then washed again with Retayne, then washed again with 2 more Color Catchers. I am not sure the red is set yet! At this point, I doubt I will use it for the binding but I just wanted to see how much it would run.

Hey Judy, Ema here. What a shame. The quilt is stunning. Your quilting makes me drool. Real eye candy. I'm a newbie and I am wondering if you teach or have any books published?

Well, I've got to go. I'm off to dream about quilting a masterpiece just like you. :D You are an inspiration to all of us.

:) JUDY!!!

That is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Yes, you should definitely enter it into show competition!

I love red and white quilts.... but I am so fearful of having the same horrible experience you had with the red running that I haven't mustered the courage to make one for myself yet... Your bravery paid off BIGTIME!!! That quilt is completely gorgeous!!!

Thanks everyone for the compliments. As with almost all my quilts, there's a story behind this one. I started it in 1997 as a gift for my SIL who had a red/white bedroom. Before I finished it, they redid their bedroom and she told me she was so sick of red & white. Hmmm . . change of plans. I made them another quilt but I put those bear paws together and took them apart about four times before finally deciding on a top I liked.

And, if you look at the picture, the middle row of bear paws, at the top the quilting design is different from the design at the bottom. It's all just parts of a stencil put together and I wasn't paying attention and the top and bottom ended up different but they were supposed to be the same. It was only after I had it all spread out trying to decide how to handle the running red that I noticed it. I thought I would be sick but I really think I like it better the way I accidentally did it than the way I had planned to do it.

Ema, I would be happy to teach . . almost anywhere, almost any time! :) But, there are many who are way more qualified than I am who are teaching.

Tina, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Girl, pull out those reds, wash them a dozen times and make yourself a red and white quilt!

I have heard that throwing some vinegar in the wash helps set the color. Not sure though - have never tried it. Also, be aware that dark blue fabric is very often dyed with red - I can not tell you how many times I have had dark blue fabric bleed red. Always worth checking.

-Evelyn

aka Starfishy

EEEK....

I am just finishing up an all red, black and white quilt top and now I am very worried. I washed all fabrics before I sewed them but now wonder if I should wash the quilt top either before or after I quilt it. It is for a graduation gift and is in the school colors. This will also be my first "real quilt" that I will do on my brand new Millennium. I am still on practice sheets now, but feel I will be ready in a month. Any advice will be helpful! Thanks in advance.

Diana

• 3 weeks later...

Judy

I was just wondering what the fabric brand was you used. I just took a class from Kathy Sandbach and she told us that the RJR line of Jinny Beyer fabrics will run because Jinny does not allow them to put chemicals on her line of fabric.

Your quilting is absolutely stunning!!

Raquel

Archived