Latte Quilt

Has anyone ever quilted a Latte Quilt? The pattern is by Kerri Hay. I need a design for the center medalion crosshatch section. My customer has already sewed all beads in every corner. If anyone has a design idea to secure it and avoid hitting those beads, I'd appreciate it.

I have the Latte pattern book (I think most Bernina 180E owners do, lol). Any way the quilt itself is not that heavily quilted, it is mostly stitch in the ditch, some small meandering in areas to enhance and give extra texture to the blocks and other areas and the center medallion has a grid that resembles channel quilting but without using the cording. In the book all quilting is done on the DSM and the grid lines are spaced 3/4" apart using a tripple sewing machine needle and a walking foot. The beads should not be added until all of the quilting is done on the whole quilt.

I would send the quilt top back to the customer and tell her she needs to remove all beads from the quilt before you quilt it for her. Then just do a basic crosshatching that is 3/4" apart.

This quilt was designed to show off all of the best features of the Bernina 180E and 170E embroidery machines that were out at the time. The quilts beauty comes from the combination of rich dutches saten and muslin and the vintage lace embroideries. It has very little to do with the quilting. The quilting is very basic and traditional for an old heirloom vintage type quilt.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Thanks for the replies.

My customer did give me the book and I've been lightly quilting it by SID and stippling. I've already broken a few beads just ditching around that medallion. I was skeptical if those areas are too large to leave unquilted or if I should call her and ask her if I can remove the beads to crosshatch it. Your thoughts, please. Otherwise, it looks gorgeous.

I made the Latte Quilt several years ago. I SID around the triangles with the beads. I did not quilt inside the area, but went back after I had finished machine quilting and and took tiny tack stitches by hand every few inches near the beads where they cannot be seen. I did this by hand. It took very little time. There are many beads on these triangles and the beading is very time consuming. Your client will not be happy if you ask her to remove them. You could explain the situation and ask her to do the tacking. The quilt looks fine on the back with the tack stitches. Bury the tails.

Good luck.

Sherry Jack

APQS Millie CQ

• 3 weeks later...

I did the Latte Quilt and you can see it on my web site, it was beautifully quilted but I didn\'t add in the beads, but it has a great idea. Questions below to all:

Lindy

Can you tell me how I can add my links to my signature on this web page?

and

can you tell me how I can add my photo, I see vivtar or whatever but don\'t see a way to upload it?

Might have more questions later.

Thanks

Well, my customer finally picked up her Latte quilt yesterday. She nearly fell on the floor when she saw it. She absolutely LOVED it. I\'ll be going to her shop and taking some pics of it and will attempt to post some.

And Lindy, your Latte quilt is awesome!

Archived