Practice Pieces

Well, I did get very tired of practicing on muslin. So, now when I want to do some practicing I'm making one piece quilts for little kids. I did some princess pieces recently http://community.webshots.com/user/kathyamadon (see practice piece folder) for my 5 yr old neices. They came out of their skin they were so excited.

Lots more fun than muslin. Think I'll be practicing my Circle Lord on some fun material so something can be done with it - other than making dog or floor mats.

I put on a 2 1/2 yard top and quilt lenghtwise. Goal is to go from left to right - around certain parts of the print - without starting and stopping. I don't worry about perfection but more about being able to judge size and think one step ahead. Works out great.

Happy Quilting :D

Hey Kathy... I feel your pain. Practicing gets boring. Take a quilt top that you made yourself and put it on the machine. It helps to have some blocks and designs in mind.

I am waiting for someone from APQS to come by and fix my Millinieum

The thread keeps breaking and I mean exessively. Connie is suppose to get in touch with me next week and stop by and change the Hook.

I am sure that is going to help. I can't wait, as I have many quilts to start working on.

Barb Wetzel

Ivy Corner Quilting

Altoona, Ia.

Kathy, great idea for practicing. Sometimes I like to practice custom designs and feathers ,etc. I'm going to use your idea and cut some single cloth quilts in fun fabrics and keep them in my studio. When the mood hits me I'll load one and go at it. We have a children's hospital in town that would love to have quilts for the kids. I think this is a perfect match. Thank you for the great idea.

Here's what I have done with my "practice cloth".... I will buy fabric that I like the print/colors or simply use plain muslin or solids with variegated thread and just practice whatever on it. When I am finished, I turn this "play fabric" into all sorts of things:

Placemats, oven mitts, table runners, the little fabric topper that you can attach to your kitchen cabinet handles to hold towels (just stitch a buttonhole on the wrap, and put a button on a few of your hand-towels for easy change-outs), baby quilts, donation lap quilts (especially for seniors iwith wheel-chairs living in assisted care homes) picnic co-ordinates (basket liners, quilt to sit on the ground, plastic bottle drink snugglers, utensil caddy wraps, etc.) jackets (easy patterns with no tailoring required), baby doll clothes and "pretend"diapers (just cut to shape, add velcro to sides for dolls), golf club protective sleeves, kitchen appliance cozies, small area rugs, pillows, kinder-nap sacks, totebags and purses, window-valance treatments (No one can *really see* the quilting up there - ;)grin!), pot-luck dish covers, stadium seat cushions, hanging holiday ornaments (cut into stars, hearts, whatever with pinking shears and use fabric stiffener to hold shape, add hanging ribbon), coasters, memory book and board covers, and on and on.... The truly hideous practice cloth gets turned into animal blankets because my dogs, cat, goats, and rabbits think I am the best quilter in the world - LOL!!- As a side note, I did keep a 30 inch square piece of my early-on practice cloth and embroidered on it, "You think this is bad... You should have seen my first try!" to set the newbie longarmers at ease who come to take the intro classes.

Point is, I usually try to combine my practice pieces with some project I can use it for later. ... and being that I am NOT a quilter who enjoys the binding process, I usually use my serger whenever possible to finish the edges. I don't always have a plan for the practice cloth, but I am sure if I keep it long enough- another idea will come to me eventually!! :P

Try to just relax and enjoying "playing" when you have a chance to practice!!

Archived