MQS 2008

Mary Beth

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, ladies (and gents), here\'s where you can help me figure out what show(s) to attend. I didn\'t know didly-squat about longarm quilters before January and now I are one.

Before I had even gotten to know my Millie, I drove down to Salt Lake City and took 3½ days of classes at HMQS - teachers like Linda Taylor, Pam Clarke, Sally Terry, et al - and then last month I went to my first Innovations - another three full days of classes. I was a little disappointed that there were no "hands-on" classes at Innovations; I only managed to get into one "hands-on" class at HMQS, since I registered late.

Soooo, my question is this: Is MQS the next logical show to attend? It seems to be the next step, but the logistics are more complicated - harder to drive, more time away from home/Millie, more expensive.

Or is there another "next" step that I don\'t know about? What do you folks suggest for a newbie?

In my humble opinion...MQS is a blast. Oh, and you learn tons! The first 2 days are just hands on - I think - and they are like 3 hours each. Greatest teachers in the world...Real confidence builders. Of course I live here so it is easy for me to get to, but we have people from all over the world. You can check out their web site at www.imqa.org The rest of the week is a mix of hands on or lecture/demo classes. You don\'t want to schedule so much that you fall asleep in classes :), make sure you have time to shop, and have some social time...it really is a great time.

Ok, I\'ll jump in on this, too. I have been to Innovations and MQS. Both are great shows.

But I have to say that I think the MQS has more quilts, teachers, and vendors. Good hotels closeby and better choices for eating while at the show. I think that there is more of a festive air at MQS. People are excited to be there. And I had a blast hanging out with the forum folks.

I know that Linda S goes to MQX, she might have some input. I know that Houston is supposed to be a good show, too. Hey GrammieTammie, are you there?

I received my MQX catalog Monday, wow what a selection of classes, never seen so many!!!. I would love to go but the hotel fees are expensive and I\'d have to drive from Virgina alone. I just retired and bought a Millie. There\'s a class offered for APQS machine maintenance being given!!! Have fun. One thing, the catalog lists classes Monday through Saturday but the vendors mall opens on Wednesday, so how long is the show?

Barb

I have been to both and each has their own personality. I really favor MQS. The quilts, the classes, the vendors are all awesome. It is really well organized. I entered a quilt last year. I felt that the judges comments were right on and gave me areas to work on as well as feeling good about my strong areas.

Well worth the money. I came back full of ideas and inspiration.

Pearl Herkamp

Quilt S\'More

Canby, Oregon

I have to jump in too. Since I purchased my Millie 3 years ago, I\'ve been to the last two MQS shows and attended every class I could fit into my one week stay. I cannot say enough about how much I\'ve learned from these experiences. The knowledge and friendships I\'ve gained are invaluable. Last year was the first year I met with the "forum" gals. I definitely look forward to that again. It was great meeting the "real" fokls that we talk to and listen to on-line. And I\'m also proud to be able to say I took classes with the best!!

Hey DEB we need to get those REServations in PLACE. Let me know. I love staying at the Sheridan. It makes life so much more simple and I can always HUNT you down. lolol

I will try to give you a call this weekend. So much to share with you. PS. I showed your beautiful gown to the ladies at the Quilt shop. They loved what you did. They agreed that you are exceptionally Talented. But hey I knew that.

Love ya whole bunch and miss ya.

grammie

The catalogs for MQX are already out. I received mine about a week ago. Fabulous selection of classes. Last year it conflicted with my kids school schedule but this year it doesn\'t, so I will definitely be attending. I wish I could clone myself because some of the classes that I want to attend overlap. Hope to meet some of you ladies that I have been corresponding with on this chat site. DB

Connie -

I\'m in Raleigh NC...and from the Va Beach area. We could talk about riding together to one of the shows and rooming together to save $. I\'ve not been to any of the long arm shows before and decided I\'d at least make it to one next year.

Let me know if you\'re interested.

Anita

Shauna, I have family just North of Kansas City so I have made this trip from Portland a number of times. I always adivise anyone against flying Northworst. (Had some bad experiences there.) I Always fly SouthWest now and recommend them to Everyone. Nice people.

MQX and MQS are basically similar shows, put on by different organisation\'s one in MA and the other in KS we have been to both and like them a lot, If one can only go to one show, it doesn\'t make much difference which one since most teachers like myself teach at MQX and MQS and you can take the same classes.

This year we stayed on the outskirts of Manchester and it was only about 15 minutes from the Convention Center. The price was reasonable but I forgot the exact amount, think it was around $85 per night. Parking fees at the Convention Center are cheap too if you get the parking ticket validated. MQS has free parking and there are many hotels and restaurants close bye.

Hope to see you there.

Jürgen:)

Kathy & Jürgen Nittner

Westville, IN

Millennium

http://community.webshots.com/user/hoosierquilts

will you guys that have resverations already or a favorite place to stay, please share info with me. I want to go but don\'t know anything about the area. Mary Beth has given me some info on an inexpensive hotel I found but still feel unsure. Nothing like having a bad experiance with hotel that you thought in a \'good\' area. Thanks, Glenda

At MQX we stayed at the Best Western on Willow street in Manchester . Nice clean place, near the Airport. I just checked their rates. Looks like the cheapest they have is $99 but you need a car to get to the Convention Center. Not sure if they have a lower MQX rate. Next year we stay at the Convention Center it\'s more expensive but a nice place too and they have sleep number beds!

Jürgen

MQX (Machine Quilters Exposition) is in Manchester, New Hampshire 14-19 April 2008. MQX was founded by Janet-Lee Santeusanio and Mary Schilke

MQS (Machine Quilters Showcase) - is in Overland Park, KS (Kansas City) 14 -17 May 2008 (classes start on 12 May) and is run by International Machine Quilters Assn.

I have already booked my hotel at Hilton Garden Inn at Overland Park because it is attached (breezeway) to the convention center. $89 a night when I booked last month.

Archived