Getting Business

Guest Linda S

Thanks Mary Beth. You know, I didn't believe I could do that. I'll bet that if you took the time to draw out some designs with a blue pen and then quilted them, you'd really surprise yourself. That's exactly what happened to me. You just need someone to inspire and push you. That's what Sherry's class did for me. There's nothing like finding out that you really can do something that you thought was impossible.

Linda

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to try what you said about drawing lines with a blue pen. In seeing the quilting on this site, I am blown away and a little frustrated when I try to quilt and it doesn't come out like the quilters here who have been at this the same length of time I have. I was thinking "Freehand" was exactly that, nothing to go by but your brain and you hands. And that is true, but not always just your brain and your hands, but stencils too. Someone, that I admire their work, and I am not mentioning their name only because I can't remember who said it right now, said that they use stencils all the time. A light bulb went off. So when I was getting ready to load a Thimbleberries with oak leaves and pupkins, I ordered some stencils with oak leaves for some corners and I had a stencil that had oak leaves for a border. I did it and it looks great - to me and my DH....you all will never see it because I can't figure out how to post a picture and I'm not ready for you all to see me quilting. Still working on the confidence thing.

Anyway, I am going to try some of the things you said, and on cotton sateen - isn't that suppose to be really good for samples??

Thank you for your suggestions.

Mary Beth

Guest Linda S

Mary Beth - I looked at your webshots and your quilts look great! No one ever said that you have to do all this stuff freehand. Some very talented quilters use stencils. I'm not all that talented, and I use stencils a lot. Sure makes things easier for me. I find that I am very good at following a line, be it the blue line or chalk line I draw with a stencil, or the lines on a pantograph. I am not that talented at freehand designs. I particularly liked your little leaves and vines on one of your quilts. Very nice.

Linda

Thank you, my face is red....I wish there was a "Smilies" for that one!! I have a quilt that I pieced for my DH and gave to him on his birthday, last year in September. It isn't quilted and he probably thinks it never will be. It is beautiful - Gathering Friend - Wilderness Adventure - just inside the front cover. Anyway, now that I know about using stensils, I think his quilt is going to be fininshed before his next birthday:) Oh wait, that could be his next gift;)

Archived