my quilt is too short

izetta

HELP!!!

i JUST MADE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL QUILT TOP FOR MY GRANDAUGHTER. it has 12 white blocks with purple dots inbetween. the white blocks are embrodery with the bonnett girls for each month of the year.

It is too short. If I add the strips on all sides that i planned it will not help.

what can I do?

can i add larger strips to the top and bottem and then thinner strips to the sides? will it look awful?

so far it is so pretty.

HELP ME

Barb

Barb,

Another thing you can do (although the 6" and 3" strips sound like the solution to your challenge), is to add a special panel. I am piecing twin-size quilts for a customer\'s four grandkids (she doesn\'t sew! at all!!) and the center panel for one of them was a printed piece that measured 36"x45" which is not proportional to a twin size quilt. So I added a separate block below the panel (set off with a very narrow border) with the child\'s name appliqued on it in a coordinating fabric. This made the center panel the same proportions as a twin size, and I just added borders from there. "Challenge" solved!

Other Barb

If you haven\'t sewn the blocks together yet, you can extend the top in the direction you need by sashing them. Sew the blocks together in horizontal rows without sashing and then add a strip across the width--kinda like underlining the row. You can make it match or contrast it. That would extend the Bonnet Girl squares to fit to the edge of the bed and then the borders could be the same size all around.

My quilty best friend and I go fabric shopping and one of us will say "do you think this or that will work"?? and the other always answers--it\'s your quilt, you can do whatever you want!!!!

Another favorite answer to that query is "We can do whatever we want. We\'re unsupervised!!!"

Good luck--the top sounds very special and we love photos--post one if you can.

Thank you all.. you are very kind and helpful. I have already sewn the blocks together. It is not going to be abed quilt but a big lap quilt. She loves to lay on the couch with a blanket. This is my second quilt. I will take a picture and send it when I get the top done.

Thanks for all your help

Barb

I have a variety of quilts that I have had to "adapt-to-fit" so I do have some experience of this problem. The quilts that I am most pleased with at the end are usually not the ones where I have used large borders to gain the extra size. Where I have added an extra row of blocks, or included a name panel I am happier with the end product. I have sometimes found that the border can "out-weigh" the quilt. I am not sure if that is going to help or not , but I hope so, and I look forward to seeing your quilt when you are done!!

i have heblocksand bordersall sewn. right now i dont like it that well and i dont know what pattern to quilt the borders in. I also don\' have enough fabric to do the back in one color. I think i am going to go to unbleached muslin.

I could not have added another row of blocks, I thought about the days of the week but could not find any sun bonnett girls that even close to matching what i have. the sun bonnett girls are so cute and detailed i am disapointed i did not think this through a little bit more before i sewed them together. But I guess that is what learning is all about.

Thank you to you all

I am looking forward to getting it done. I am thinking about quilting sunbonnets all the way around the borders.

I just finished a quilt for our king-size bed. I put a border on the quilt, but I put it around the center blocks and made it fit to the top of the bed, then I made more blocks and attached them so they hang down the sides and end of the bed. Looks really nice. Hope you can understand my explaination.

Barb,

The sunbonnets quilted in the border will look really nice and tie it to the center subject.

Just to help you feel better, I had a 15" x 22" Art Wall quilt that I really wasn\'t fond of but I put it in a gallery since my quilter friend\'s thought it was pretty good. It sold the first day for $125.00! Maybe I should dislike my quilts more often. :)

Archived