Doing a Pantograph from the front of the machine???

This may be a stupid question, but I absolutely have to ask...

Since I LOVE working from the front of the machine and there is a hookup for the laser light on the lower side of the machine.... Can I put a panto on the table (the side closest to the front of the machine and work from the front??

Or is that making the panto task even more difficult? Has anyone done that and had success at it?

Thank you for being patient with me. My next quilt (a gift for someone else - arrghhhhh), I am going to bravely try my less than stellar panto skills.

Maybe break out some white zin to get in the "panto zone"..... that should definitely help except when I wake up the next morning to take a close sobering look.

Hawaii Barbara

Julie, I got the chair from my DH last Christmas, because he knows I can\'t have a real Harley - too uncoordinated! I do like my chair, it is a great place to rest my "okole", when I am tired of standing and it does raise quite high, almost to a standing position (however, I am fairly short - 5\'2")

I think he got it at Sam\'s or Costco for around $150. Not sure exactly of the price.

Hawaii

I guess I was dreaming when I asked the question. Just took a closer look - there is no way that I could direct the front laser on the back table if I have a quilt loaded. The leaders, as they were being rolled, would cover my line of sight of the panto table.

If I laid a flat surface on the rollers (from the front of the machine) to the side of the quilt; I could put a small design on that and follow it with the laser light, but it could not be a fully rolled out panto.

No excuse, but to get back there and practice! And yes, if there are any creative/engineering minds out there, who figure out how to do a panto from the front of the machine - I\'ve got a guest room here in "paradise" to trade for some "show me how" skills.

Thoughts about Hawaii are flooding my mind right now and hope you enjoy the many inspirations of flora (our normal house plants on steroids).

Here is a photo of Myrna\'s small panto table that fits over the leaders on the front of the machine. I made one of these too and found it helpful for doing pantos down the side borders. Have another photo somewhere.

I bought the metal supports from Myrna and got the lucite locally, had it cut to fit, polished the edges with very fine sandpaper, stuck it to the metal using 1" wide foam double-sided adhesive tape, then use a second lucite piece on top to hold the paper in place. It works great for borders and medallions. Hope this is helpful.

Vicki

post--13461898733598_thumb.jpg

Looking at Vicki\'s pictures (thanks for the visual, Vicki), I might try to make that little panto table using cafe curtain rods with lucite taped on.

Off this subject, but I also use curtain rods to hold up the elastic straps on my machine. I put the soft side of a piece of velcro on the inside of the rounded end of the rod. It keeps the rod from scratching the metal roller. Then I attached the hook side of the velcro on the ends of my machine. When I\'m not using the curtain rods, I have a nice place to hang the rods.

Okay, Vicki (and Myrna), wow - it can be done, not exactly as I pictured it, but what an innovative way of doing side borders! I love this group - everyone putting their heads together, to come up with new and creative ways of LA quilting! My guest room ready and waiting (not fancy, but hey, who needs fancy, when you\'ve got access to a Longarm as a roommate)! :D

Yes, google "The Pattern Man" and I think it is called the pattern port?? He also sells pantos & other patterns. It is also good to keep your tools off of the quilt while quilting (rulers, ripper, scissors, tweezers etc). Here is a pic of my pattern port on my machine

2665910940094956607S425x425Q85.jpg

I just went and checked and it is called the Pattern Port. Google The Pattern Man, and you have to click on "find" and type in Pattern Port. They are made for all types of longarm machines. I know that you can make your own, but this has a flexable plastic sheet that goes over your pattern so that it doesn\'t move. When it\'s hot in my studio, I\'ve got my overhead fan on high, and with the plastic over the pattern, there is no movement. Anyway, it is available.

Archived