Easy Pork Roast

RitaR

Buy one very large pork roast.. picnic style is great.

Potatoes, carrots, sauerkraut- large can, and brown sugar, a couple apples, fresh garlic.

Trim rind and fat from the Pork Roast. cut slits and insert thick slices of fresh garlic. Set on rack in roaster. Drain liquid from can of sauerkraut do not mash down on lid to drain, refill can with water and let set a couple min. drain again without mashing lid down into the can. Pack the sauer kraut on the pork roast covering every surface it will stay on. On top of this, pack some brown sugar.. not too thick, but thick enough to cover sauer kraut. Clean and chunk the potatoes, carrots and apples. You can also add chunks of celery if desired.. They dry out too much for me.

Salt and pepper the chucks of all, and drop into roaster around the roast. Add 1 cup of water, cover tightly. Put in 325 degree oven and roast 4=5 hours.. until the meat falls off the bone.

To serve, I put the other ingredients in a large serving bowl and the meat on a large platter with two serving forks.

This is a good lazy day or very busy day meal as you don\'t even have to peal the potatos, carrots or apples.. I don\'t.

It won\'t last long.. so be sure to fix a lot more meat than you expect to need.

Serve with a relish tray or salad for a complete meal. Enjoy.

Hint: the broth doesn\'t make very good gravy, unless you like sweet gravy. Sauerkraut flavor is not there.. the vinegar helps tenderize the meat, but you will not taste it.

RitaR

Rita,

your pork roast sounds deee-lish! I love sauerkraut with the brown sugar mixed in. I make a quick supper stovetop dish with that, kielbasa sausage, some onion & green pepper...super yummy! I\'ll have to give your roast a try... maybe for Christmas dinner??

Eva,

Your little guy is something else! He seems so proud with his pie. And, that crisp white button down shirt makes him look so handsome and dapper. Ahhh! Whatta-cutie-pie little man he is!!

Oh Hi Linda, I forgot, and you reminded me, that Isaac did bake that cobbler for our last meeting when we all got together at the library. If he\'s not too busy with First Grade :D maybe I can get him to whip something up for us in Jan.

Rita: I think that\'s the recipe my sister has been looking for. My mother LOVES all things with sauerkraut. She goes out for German Pizza in her home town and eats this very strange pizza with sauerkraut on it. I\'ll have to send both of them your recipe.

Thank you everyone.. we all just love it and usually eat way more than we think we will.. It also reheats really well, in a covered container in the oven. ive never tried the microwave since theres fat on the pork.

Enjoy and let us know... Rita

Archived