Fee for Quilt from Scratch

I am a new long arm owner and starting a business part time (full time RN). I already have an order for a quilt from scratch, for one of my collegues. He wants a "frog" 60"X72" quilt for his granddaughter. I have purchased the fabric--$64.00. At $.015 per square inch the actual quilting will be $65.00 He wants a frog panto which I will have to purchase at $16.50. The top is fairly easy, one I have done before with 12" solid squares and 12" triangle squares. A total of 30 squares. my question is what total should I charge? I told him that it would be less than $300.00. Help!

Hi Jeanne--

Let\'s do the math--

$64--fabric

$65--quilting

$16.50--panto (you may want to exclude the panto cost if you think you will use it again for a customer)

Your time to do the piecing? Do you think 4 or 5 hours for an easy design? Is $10 an hour enough? Let\'s do $15----$75.

$66--binding (I charge $3 a foot for start-to-finish binding.)

$10--batting?

I get a total of $296.50--so $300 would definitely be in the ballpark. Then there may be sales tax, I guess.

How fun for you as a newbie--you get to do it all from start to finish.

As a professional, present the customer with a professionally printed (on your computer) estimate listing all of the above charges--include everything and the estimated cost for each (don\'t break down the labor for piecing to a by-the-hour cost--just put down a total for that. No one who doesn\'t quilt has any idea how long piecing takes or how much it is worth!) Then get a grand total and figure out what percentage discount you will offer this friend--whatever it takes to get the cost down to under $300. You will be a hero because to have come in under the original verbal quote. And they will see what a good deal they have gotten. And you will have made money with your skills, talent, and that new machine!

In reality, for what you are doing, $300 seems a very reasonable price--you are earning a reasonable amount and you are not gouging the customer. Usually from-scratch quilts are money losers--you can never make what it is really worth. There are too many cheap and cheaply-made imported "quilts" in the stores for people to have an idea of what goes into a premium quilt.

Good luck and have fun!

Jeanne,

Linda gives very good advice. I\'m doing my first customer quilt right now and it is for a friend...very good friend. I did way more on her quilt than I would on a customer quilt so when I do her invoice I\'ll show the actual price, so she can share that number with her friends, and then her price with a great discount! She\'ll be thrilled and I won\'t have to worry that she shows her friend what I\'ll do for $100!

Heidi

I have done two start to finish quilts for customers, and have another lady asking about one.

I charge whatever I paid for all the fabric, batting, thread, etc.

$10 per hour for cutting and piecing the top (I keep a written record of the time).

Then regular quilting and binding fees on top of that.

I know it\'s probably not enough, but it\'s all I can get around here.

Archived