MQS

Mary Beth

Hi everyone,

Claudia Pfeil, Theo ("Dutchman" here in the board) and I spent yesterday all day at Claudia\'s APQS studio, preparing our classes for MQS and we have so much fun stuff for you!

I will show some neat things in my class that will help getting the fear out of freemotion work, and those techniques are a nice companion to Claudia\'s hands-on classes.

CLaudia is a true artist: you should see her drawing the most fantastic designs on a piece of paper! Seeing her freemotion work at the machine is just awesome.

And the real, real cool thing is that she teaches it in such a way that it is actually doable!!

Anyway we had a lot of fun yesterday and the fun will be yours in May :).

To get a little idea of my class outline, take a look at:

http://quilters.pre-design.eu/mqs2008.htm

Also look at the funny cappuccino challenge in this board on page:

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=8706

I am now working on a picture of my vacuum cleaner: the cord was all curled up: it was just screaming "digitize me, I\'m a quilt design" - I know, I know: I should stay away from the caffeine <ggg>.

Loes

• 3 weeks later...

My flight to MQS is booked. Woohoo !!!

I have been waiting for Southwest Airlines to open up that week but it has been "reservations until May 9th" for weeks it seems. So I went to priceline.com.

I booked a round-trip non-stop flight San Diego to KC (and return) for $322. It is on MidWest airlines which my KC BIL says has nice roomy leather seats in a 2-2 configuration. I checked with www.seatguru.com and sure enough, the 717 has seat pitch of 32" (good legroom) and seat width is 21" (which is a half-inch wider than a First Class cabin seat on United A319 plane). I really prefer the W-I-D-E L-O-A-D seats. :D

I booked my hotel in July, my classes in December and now my plane. I\'m excited. Do you think it\'s too early to pack? :D

Tammie- I just re-read your comments above......are you entering a quilt into MQS? Tell us true, now.

All of you should be entering a quilt into MQS!!! It\'s not just about winning a ribbon, It is soooooo exciting to see your quilt hang and to just hang out close to your entry and listen to random people commenting on your master quilt!!!!!! I even love the NOT SO GOOD comments because it reminds me that I quilt my stuff for me and not everyone likes my style of quilting but Whoooooo Caressss Because it\'s hanging in SHOW!!!!!!! I\'m telling all of you enter a quilt and be proud of where you are and how far your quilting has come since that ohhhhh sooooo dreadeddddd first quilt! I\'ll be looking for them:cool:

Linda,

My other stepson worked for Midwest...we had double the fun...anyway...they also serve hot, fresh baked, chocolate chip cookies!! What a deal. My daughter flew with that airline and told us it was the only way to go.

Sue,

Have you seen my quilting?! There is no way!! I was going to donate a quilt last year because I was awarded a scholarship, but I took one look at those quilts and came home and put mine way back in a closet!! I am doing it this year, only because I have to. I think I will ask that they not put my name on it, don\'t want everyone else to see. There is no possible way I would enter a quilt into this show!! No way!! Oh my gosh, I am breaking out in a sweat just thinking about it.

Jen, I just ordered pantos today too! It must be contagious.:D

There are specials I think, but I didn\'t find things were really cheaper there.

I was dissapointed because Kingsmen hasn\'t been there the 2 yrs I\'ve gone and I really wanted to see some of the self published LA books in person. Last year another site, Homestead Quilting I think, correct me if I\'m wrong someone, had a booth and had some of that kind of thing. I hope they bring more stuff this year now that they realize that they are filling a gap.

I\'m planning to get some things like Renae\'s rays, that have a big shipping cost there while I\'m there, stuff like that.

I got confirmation on my classes. A relief since I waited to the last day of member registration to sign up. What are some of the classes you all are taking?

I\'m taking Claudia\'s class on Monday, Irena\'s wholecloth on Tues, then a couple lecture/demo\'s on Thurs including Dawn\'s about making different things on the LA, I can\'t remember the name.

Are there any thoughts on a list get together one night?

Jen,

I bought some wonderful MeadowLyon wholecloth patterns last year at MQS but don\'t really remember getting special pricing. Bob Purcell will be there and he always has good pricing at shows.

I think the pricing is not what is so special at these shows. It is the availability of so many goodies for longarmers in one place that makes it so special. Lots of demos (Circle Lord, ruler people, chalk and stencils) and you can look at the products up close and personal. They also had a FedEx booth right on the vendor floor so you could drop off your stuff and they would box and send it for you.

I\'ll see you there.

And no shipping!! Oh, unless you fly into town and go completely crazy at the Frenzie and can\'t cram it all into your suitcase. If you think you will spend way too much and not have room....might I suggest, wear all of your clothing home on the plane and use your suitcase for your goodies ;) Or...only bring empty suitcases and wear the one set of clothes you have on the whole time you are here. Ick! Or, if you do that, come to my house to visit - I have a new washing machine!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought on t-shirts...of course if you want to purchase and wear a shirt that would be fine, but I forget that not everyone on this site has an APQS and in all fairness to them, we shouldn\'t make them wear a shirt :) So maybe we should go with a ribbon, or something.

Yeah, what a bummer, I wanted the Deloa class (114) :(. I booked 4 classes when I planned to be there Wed - Sat. Now that I am coming on Sunday, I can get in to Loes Pre-Design class and Claudia\'s Extreme Backgrounds. Yippee.:)

If any of you are thinking about coming, you need to get your registration in soon. Of course, there is still plenty to do when not in a class; those yummy quilts, demos, and of course, shopping. :)

Good idea about the ribbons. Just tell me which color.

The classes I\'m looking at are:

one of these three:

409 6 step system to increase machine quilting income (Sally Terry)

410 You\'re all invited to a block party (Deloa Jones)

411 Technicalities-turning ideas into award winning quilts (Renae Haddadin)

One of these two:

424: Thread tension and design (Cathy Franks)

426 Amazing ways to use circles and rays (Renae Haddadin)

437 Feather alternatives (Sue Patten)

508 Beginner block party (Sue Patten)

or 514 Feathers, Yarn, and Structures (Claudi Pfiel)

oor 516 Marketing your longarm quilting business (Patricia Barry)

519 Free motion designs (Sue Patten)

or

533 Contemporary satin wholecloth (Nichole WEbb)

552 Quilting designs by YOU (Dawn Cavanaugh)

611 Quilting designs (Pam Clarke)

616 Cable borders (Cindy Roth)

Archived