How to move with panto

First, welcome to the forum Michelle.

I use the same method as Ruthie.

I start with both hands on the left handle then once I\'m going, I drop my left hand. That makes it easier for me to make a slow crab step to the left without stopping. And if I must stop, I also stop at an inner point so it will be less noticable when I restart.

Welcome, Michelle!

I put my left hand on the left handle and right hand on the back of the machine, just under where it shows your speed/stitches per inch. I read about this position on this site, I think from Shana. THANKS SHANA! It\'s really comfy for me.

Unless I\'m feeling especially reckless :o, I stop before I change feet position. Sometimes I can take a little sidestep while moving. I\'m just a beginner, though, so am finding my way just like you.

Jen

When I\'m freehanding OR doing a panto.. I slide my foot, usually only a few inches.. When I tried to take an actual step I always had a bobble.. by just sliding maybe 3" at a time, it\'s smoother.. I finally practiced with a practice piece and yukky thread, just to get the shuffle down.. that\'s what ended up as most comfy and less quiltramatic for me.. small shuffles. I probably take 3 or 4 shuffles to another persons one step.

RitaR

I"m with the shufflers out there. I have a dog that helps me quilt, and likes to be near his "momma", so is often laying close to underfoot. By shuffling, I am less likely to step on him, and cause a big mess.

My method is to have both hands on the Left handle for steering, but I think you\'ll find what works best for you. Having a hand on each of the back handles was way too uncomfortable for me.

Beth

I shuffle too...but have a hand on each handle. Best thing you can do is practice, practice and practice...it all comes with time and practice...find what is most comfortable for you. I had about 10 quilt tops to practice on of my own before I started quilting for others and I also practiced on muslin.

But now, I have added a CQ and it does the work for me.

Have fun.

Cheryl

Michelle,

You\'ve gotten great advice so far! Here are a couple more tips that might help:

[*] No matter where you decide to hold the machine, begin with your weight on your right foot. Position your feet about shoulders\' width apart, or slightly less. As you move to the left with your machine, allow your weight to transfer to your left foot.

While your weight is on your left foot, pick up and/or slide the right foot and plant it right next to your left. Now switch all your weight back to the RIGHT foot (you\'ll get a little "Elvis" swivel hip action as the weight transfers to your right foot).

Now that the weight is back on your right foot again, slide the left foot out again, about shoulders\' width away from your right. Continue this "golfer" type weight shift all the way to the end.

[*] Another thing to remember is that you can stop along the pantograph and move your feet. Begin by putting the needle into the "down" position before you start quilting. Hold the machine the way you like and begin quilting. When you reach the point where you feel you have to move, guide the machine to a natural stopping position on the pattern, such as a change of direction or line intersection.

Then hit a button to turn the machine off. The needle will cycle into the "down" position to hold your place on the quilt while you reposition your body. Start again, and watch for another natural stopping point to change your position.

[*] Try practice runs with each pantograph before you begin actually stitching. Grow accustomed to where you feel you\'ll need to move your feet, and how the "flow" of the panto feels as you quilt. This helps determine where to hold the machine. If you\'re using the stitch regulator, you can hold it anywhere you like and still drive the sewing head.

You\'ll get better--just relax, put on some music with a consistent beat (another hint for keeping things "smooth) and waltz your way across the panto!:)

Hi Jeanne,

No, I use both hands on the front of the machine. That might be because when I free-mo I am moving all over.

Even though pantos move all around, I think of them as primarily a right to left motion (from right side of machine back to left side) so I put both hands on the left handle. This also lets me view more of the quilt when I am on the side. I still have to stop my machine before I look at the quilt. I know some quilters can peek and still follow the panto. I cannot change my focus that easily and would probably get lost on where the laser is going.

I also do the long arm shuffle when doing pantos and will "rest"/ move only at the points of the panto design. If I move when doing a curve then my pantos don\'t look smooth.

I use one hand when doing the pantos at the back of the machine and when I am at the front of the machine I will use one hand to move the machine when doing ruler work but two hands when doing freehand meanderings and such.

I do as Dawn suggested. Start with a good base of support and then move from right to left. I do the side step or shuffle. At first I made exaggerated steps, but now the flow is better. Also, I use both hands, one on each handle. It is just what works for me. The other important detail is to always look ahead while your are doing your panto. It helps make your stitches flow and you have a better idea of where to stop.

You have received lots of good advice. Now comes that practice part. And that is always a tough one since we all want to turn out perfect quilting!!

Have a merry...

Carol

Hello all,

(First I tried to do a reply once already and don\'t see it, so, I\'ll try again).

I have been lurking (sounds so sinister!) around the chat boards for awhile trying to learn all I can before the "big purchase" and ran across this post.

The image that popped into my mind as I kept on reading was a song and dance video, "The Long Arm Shuffle": You slide your left foot left, you slide your right foot left, you slide your left foot left (say all that five times fast!), and swivel your hips like Elvis (this needs a little more work) . . . you do the Long Arm Shuffle and you start all over again . . . that\'s what it\'s all about" :D (I\'m not making fun--I am a wannabe/newbie myself--humor can release tension, therefore causing you tp relax . . .)

Linda Cornelison

Hill City, SD

Most of all, breathe! even with my old clunker.. a death grip only emphasized the bobbles and made the circles more square... the lighter the touch on the handle(s), the more natural it becomes.. because you are or should be more relaxed.. maybe practice it without turning the machine on?

I have a lot of spine/neck problems and can sympathise with the chiro needs.. heat and cold help a lot.. but so will relaxing.. hope it helps...

RitaR

I have tried just about every position and have found that so far I am most comfortable with my left hand on the left handle and my right hand on the right handle. I start off with a death grip for some reason and then as I get going I have a very light touch. I don\'t even know when I move over, all I know is that I do. Once I get going it\'s almost like I don\'t have to think anymore, my machine just goes where it is suppose to.

I use the same method as Ruthie and Linda (from Ramona). I started out using both hands and since I converted over to using just one hand it all works Sooo much easier. Now I have found that when doing very small patterns freehand at the front of the machine I get better results by using one hand. Everyone has to find the method that fits them the best.

Archived