How to move with panto

Originally posted by chickenscratch

Linda,

I know what you mean about your whole body moving when you do freemotion from the front. My husband and kids laugh at me when I\'m doing something freehand, because (according to them) when I make a circle or swirl my whole body kind of makes a circle or swirl.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi kids, When I bought my first machine there was no one to show me how it was done. I had to figure it out on my own. Pantographs, the real definition is "line quilting", I had to teach myself. No video/no instructor were out there to show me. For me, since I\'m a rightie, the right hand guilds the machine in place and the left just kind of hangs on for stablility. I once triied it with one hand a failed very badly. So your question is, "How do I do this", it\'s up to your comfort. What ever feels right should be the way you do it.....zeke

Oh how I wish I could just pick you all up and fly you out to B.C. for my panto class! This is all I did for almost 3 years, back when there was no internet chat, or training, or books, or DVD or videos, or.....anything! Also.....no stitch regulators. We had to learn by the seat of our pants back then and got pretty innovative. Oh, and did I mention.......the pantos were "crappy" with a capital "C". You "newbies" have absolutley NO idea how lucky you are to have the wonderful patterns available to you today. I thought I\'d died and gone to heaven when I discovered Cotton Candy and Surf\'s Up!

If someone on here knows how to take part of a Power Point show and put it where you can all view it, please let me know and I\'ll clip that section out of my "Beginning Longarm ~ Perfecting the Pantograph" CD. It\'s given to all of my students when they come for the Beginners Workshop.

Just need some technical advice before I can share it. :o

Originally posted by Darlene Epp

If someone on here knows how to take part of a Power Point show and put it where you can all view it, please let me know and I\'ll clip that section out of my "Beginning Longarm ~ Perfecting the Pantograph" CD. It\'s given to all of my students when they come for the Beginners Workshop.

Just need some technical advice before I can share it. :o

Darlene, I am wondering if you could "video tape" your voice at the same time you show your Powerpoint slide show and then post it on You Tube? That might work and then we can all WATCH! :cool:

Would that work???

Darlene,

You should be able to insert it on you webshots and I think you would be able to just copy and paste the link. I\'m not sure how big the file is as to whether or not you could upload directly to the board. I\'d try this first. In your webshots create a folder and paste the file. Then copy the link and see if it works. You should also be able to upload it directly to your webpage.

I have both hands on the left control and I also find its smoother and I have more control if I keep my elbows tucked in some what as well. I do the shuffle... I can hear the Hustle music in my head now!! Maybe that song is on youtube and I can listen to it while I quilt... LOL

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I\'m another newbie that took a huge step in getting a millie. I\'m a self learner. I love the freehand motion, but a little intimidated by the pantos. Any suggestion which ones to start out with. I got a couple with my machine. One is really big. Almost too big I think, but then what do I know. I\'m just starting out. Also any suggestions as to which rulers are most helpful without going bankrupt?

thanks

Hi Brenda,

Some love pantos, some do not, but they are a great way to get a consistent design for an overall.

Most start at the right side and work to the left.

Remember the lines are just an "advisory"--if you are doing a simpler panto, no one will know if you go off the lines.

Try to "drive ahead" of the laser--you will find watching three inches or so ahead of the laser will work great.

Remember you have a stitch regulator and don\'t be afraid to stop. Then you can get your bearings and see where you are headed in the design. It is easier and less obvious to stop on a point. Stop if you need to take a step or if you need to breathe!Stop and look up to check your stitching. Stop to see if you have run out of top and are stitching in the air!

If your panto is confusing, take a marker and draw through problem intersections in the direction of the stitching so you won\'t turn the wrong way.

Do a search for pantos here and you will get reams of advice and suggestions. There are lots of different ways to steer the machine also. Some use both handles, some have their right hand on the left handle and their left hand on the back roller. Some use both hands on the left handle. I stand to the left with my left hand on the left handle and my right hand holding the back of the machine about half-way up. Experiment!

Have fun and keep us posted on your progress.

Archived