My pattern sampler

Hi,

When I met Myrna Ficken and Sherry Rodgers-Harrision during the showroom opening in Krefeld, Germany, they suggested to make some sort of sample patterns to show potential customers.

This is what I made of this idea (for detail pictured please see the Longarm Quilting album in my webshots).

Best, Birgit

post--13461897619401_thumb.jpg

Birgit.

Absolutely georgeous quilting. Did you mark the center block and go from there? Where do you get your ideas? I hope to quilt like you one day but I need a lot more "6 Weeks" under my belt and I have been quilting for a couple of years. chuckle.

I think your quilting is very inspirational and I am in awe.

Lynda B

Golden BC Canada

Thank you, Lynda.

I marked the outline of the star and worked my way from spire to spire. As my base expander isn't here yet, the hardest part was fussing around with my "templates" - a regular office ruler for the straight lines and a plastic can lid for the center circle (don't tell anybody...).

Ideas? Well, I don't know whhy and how but ideas like that just pop up. For me the worst situation is to have a strongly defined theme to work with requiring me to make up an idea - most often this doesn't work out...

Birgit

What beautiful quilting....I just may go into my studio and chop my hands off!

I find that I am afarid to try a lot of different because of the tension problems I have anyway! Oh, woa is me....:(

Your work is stunning and I cheer for you continued success!

Carol in Virginia

WOW Brigit,

You did a fabulous job on your sampler. You have the passion for quilting.

Aren't our APQS girlfriends in Europe are doing fantastic work?

( Ideas? Well, I don't know why and how but ideas like that just pop up. For me the worst situation is to have a strongly defined theme to work with requiring me to make up an idea)

That is a great comment, I feel the same way. One thing presents itself and the rest just happens. Everyone can do this if you allow yourself, don't be afraid, and just do it. Brigit keep up the good work and let us see more.

Carol. That is too funny of a statement. You may want to reconsider that. What kind of tension problems are you having?

Myrna

Thank you, everybody for all your compliments.

Myrna - for you goes the same as for Sherry. The two of you planted the idea and I simply let it grow...

Carol - actually, this sampler helped me a lot in terms of finding out how the different types of thread want to be treated in terms of tension. I used almost all my King Tut, Poly Quilter and Rainbow colors and with every change of thread/color, I found it easier to adjust the tension.

Just go for it and try it yourself...

Birgit

Oh gawsh Carol! your responce gave me the giggles big time! I can see it now ...Breaking news, Longarm quilters across the nation are cutting off thier hands due to a rush of talented students in Europe! Horror of horrors!

If it is any consolation, I saw some of Birgits pieces before she became a longarmer and she had more talent in her little finger then I ever had in my longarm! It is no surprise to either myself or Myrna that she excells in her craft!

Hello Everyone,

As I am typing this with my toes, I really wish I had checked back sooner!

I guess I will be known as the only "longfooter" around!:D heh...

I am learning alot about tension and the different threads and hope to post a picture soon. Has anyone had trouble with tension after changing their needle? I can only assume that my needle position was off ever-so-slightly, because after adjusting it (with a tiny bit of cursing thrown in for good measure) the problem was corrected! On to metallics!

....gee, I should get a pedicure first....hmmmmmm

Carol,

Yes, I have been machine quilting on my Bernina a lot before I got Agatha. But I can hand-quilt also! In fact, I have a couple of hand-quilted quilts that I'm pretty proud of...

But I have turned to machine-quilting soon after I discovered quilting in early 2001. With two young children and working half-time at the time, I found this to be the logical route to take as I wanted to actually finish things...

But that's nothing compared to longarming...

Birgit

Thanks a lot, Claudia.

I'm sure that a glass of wine would help quilting nice and smooth curves - but what about straight lines? Any experiences?

With my Agatha being set up in our attic, and our current extremely high temperatures, I feel more like drinking water non-stop...

Have you started to incorporate your great thread work in actual projects?

Birgit

Hi Birgit!

Yes , Birgit! I?ve started to piece a silk top and I?m already finished with it:-) I?ve bought the silk at the show in Lyon/France - only small pieces from a fabric wholesaler.

I know how to quilt it - but I don?t have any time:(.

My customers are waiting for their quilts!

I attach a picture of the top....maybe you can imagine how it should look like after quilting!

Have a nice day....

it?s really hot here, too!

Claudia

Archived