Friendship Blocks 2008- LAST CALL

chickenscratch

I agree that we can\'t be too specific in our wishes. It got too complicated last year, and I was also driving an hour or more to the store for fabric.

What if we amend the rule to this.

White or off white background and one requested basic color choice (red, blue, green, yellow, purple, etc). If the person only has a little bit of that color then you only get a little bit put in your block. The rest of the piecing will be whatever colors the maker chooses. AND Let\'s all agree to use

ONLY STASH FABRICS to make these.

Bobbi,

I agree that everybody should sign and date their block, and put the city and state where it was made.

Any other changes we need to make?

Let\'s get it all set up within the next week or so.

I also think once we get started we need to say nobody new can add in, because of how we are setting up the list.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teresa, This sounds alot more organized than last year. I was thinking of starting a swap but keeping it limited to 24-25 people, which sounds like this list. Otherwise it gets out of hand. I\'m still working on some of my 2007 blocks, the last of which should be going out today or Wed. Limiting the background to white or off white/cream is also a good idea, it will also make for a more uniform looking quilt, more like a sampler. So even though I got burned with last years swap, please add me onto this one. I think you already have my address. Thanks for organizing this. DB

Hi, I\'m new to the board. I\'ve been reading a lot of the posts for a while but haven\'t had anything very interesting to say. Thanks for all the hints and helps. I\'ve had my machine (APQS Freedom) for about... let me see.. wow! 3 years in May. I have a business Kristiequilts, and live in South Bend, Indiana. I\'m a California transplant and am growing really large here in Indiana. LOL

I\'m interested in the Birthday block exchange if someone can tell me more about it. ie, what blocks, colors, level of difficulty, and if you want someone new involved.

Kristie

Those of you wanting to add on, go ahead. Just send me your mailing address. It really doesn\'t matter if we have 25 people or 100 people. YOu\'re still only making 15 blocks.

All the rules are on the previous page, except we are now agreeing to use Stash fabrics with a white or off white background. Patterns should be whatever is comfortable for the quilter.

Here is the list. I don\'t have your address if you have a **

me

Beth Durand

Sandra Darlington

Barbara Goodson

Heidi Merrill

Bonnie Botts

Rita Kilpatrick

Pam Nagle

Michelle Strickland

Claudia Pfiel

Jen McManus

Coleen O\'Kane

Roxie**

Nancy Propheter

Bobbi Brady

Cathy***

Melora Neminski

Merry Jo Rembold

Donna Smith

Judi Olsen

Jeanne4378***

Susanne Hughes

Linda Cornelison

Dianne Brodin

Kristie Watson

Jo**

Marylyn Jones

Wilma Depriest

Okay, there was one more request.

Is it okay with the rest of you if the people just request batiks or traditional fabrics?

For example, if I wanted 12 1/2" blocks with blue in them and then asked for batick type fabrics or traditional fabrics.

I hate to keep adding to the rules; that\'s what led to the trouble last year.

I personally think we should just say white and one other color; and any other stash fabric, not a certain type. Just my two cents worth.

Wilma, you are now added.

Okay, everybody who is listed above, and any last minute new comers.

Send me an email or U2U with your preference of background color:

white or off white

and one main color you want in your blocks

red/blue/green/orange/yellow/purple/pink/black/don\'t care

I will get the lists mailed out this weekend.

Linzi, Beverly, and Fraley. Email or U2U your mailing address.

We are not going to break it down any more specific than it is. When people start requesting Aunt Grace fabrics, hand dyed batiks, civil war repro, etc. then people have to go buy fabric to do this. Some of us have to drive an hour or more to buy fabric; and that was the BIGGEST problem last year.

I\'m not trying to be nasty here, just realistic. If some people want to do a repro fabric swap, or a batik swap, then that can be a separate later swap.

This one will be scrappy stash fabrics on white or off white backgrounds/ 12 1/2 " blocks, signed and dated. End of discussion.

Okay, sorry if that last post sounded a little bit witchy, but I have had 5 emails from people requesting only batiks, or only civil war prints, etc. Since this is the problem we had last year I thought we had decided not to do it that way.

If somebody else wants to organize a swap for batiks or repros or whatever, I\'ll tell you how to set it up.

If you have your heart set on batiks or whatever, or high $$$ fabrics then this might not be the right swap for you. I know that 80% of the fabric I buy comes from Hancocks, just because that is the only fabric store within 2 hours of my house. The rest is stuff I order, and it is probably not any better quality. I have never had a problem with any fabric from Hancocks, Joanns, or even Walmart. I have a quilt here that is over 20 years old, used on our bed every day, has been washed hundreds of times. That fabric most likely came from Joann\'s or somewhere very similar. I didn\'t start shopping at quilt shops until about 2 years ago, when I was going there to drop off cards and would buy something while I was in there.

That store closed down in October, couldn\'t compete with Hancocks being in the town, and it\'s a very big town.

If anybody is having a problem with the way this is organized I will step down and let you do it yourself.

Vicki, I applaud you for taking care of it last year. These people are not acting very nice right now. I don\' t know how you did it.

Thanks Roxie, Bonnie, Heidi, and the others who have agreed to stick to the original set of rules.

To those of you who want to be very specific in your fabric choices, I suggest you drop out of this exchange and start a different one. To those of you who have sent me emails with multiple colors listed, I\'m taking your first color as your choice on the sheet.

Ex: white background with grey, red, and black- You got white background and grey

Ex: cream background with brown, rust, and gold; you got cream background and brown.

That was what we agreed to: A background color choice and one other predominant color with scraps.

Archived