Best batting for Batik fabric

I am getting ready to quilt a white quilt with blue batik blocks and I am not sure what batting to use. My customer likes Hobbs so I purchased a packet of bleached. I thought I had purchased the 80/20 but instead it is 100% cotton. The package says it will shrink approximately 5%. Does anyone know how much batik shrinks? Should I use a different batting? The white is a white on white cotton. The quilt is approx. 30% batik.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Jackie Williams

Jackie,

I see that nobody has replied so here is my 2 cents worth. Batiks won\'t shrink because the when they are processed they boil the fabric to wash out the wax that is used in the design. In general I don\'t use 100% cotton because personally I don\'t like the denseness of it. I prefer a poly or even a blend to have more drapeability. I also don\'t like the flatness of a cotton but again this is a personal choice. I don\'t think 5% shrinkage will hurt much and it will give the quilt some of that old fashion feel but I wouldn\'t guess that you would see much change on the Batik.

If I were doing a quilt with batik I would use Quilters Dream 70/30 or poly request. I have only used Hobbs 80/20 a couple of times. Once I had pokies really badly with it so now I\'m skeptical. The last quilt I used it in had fleece on the back and it was fine.

Good luck.

Archived