liberty or freedom

I have the Freedom and I love it, Sherry R. has the Liberty and she loves it.

The Freedom has about 6" more throat space but if you're doing mostly custom work, you probably wouldn't miss that 6" unless you have real long arms are you're very tall. I'm 5'2" and when doing custom work, I work more towards the front of my machine so some of my space is wasted. But, when doing pantos or overall meander, I use the whole space.

With the Liberty, you'll get the S/R which is good.

I honestly think you'll love either one of them and it honestly wouldn't matter to me if I had the Liberty or the Freedom. A lot of help I am, huh?

APQS has 4 models to choose from. Perhaps you can find someone close to you that owns one of these or get to a show that has them all available.

APQS also travels around the country setting up what they call Road Shows. It is a very informative presentation and you have the opportunity to test drive all the differant machines. Perhaps they will be near you soon. I would recomend calling APQS to ask what thier schedule is.

Feel free to call me or any of the other representatives. We all LOVE to talk APQS! :D

that is ok ...actually that is what i wanted...very specific info that i couldn't see on the sheets and the cd.....after you look at that stuff long enough it all runs together....i don't care for the stitch regulator (that is what s/r is right?) i tried it on the millenium last summer and i prefer to quilt without it.....but that is just me.....thanks for the answers....

Hi everyone

I have the Liberty and did own an Ultimate 1 (which is the model prior to the Freedom).

Other people have commented on the features of the machines but as well as this you might like to consider what other quilters in your area are using. Do they have a stitch regulated machine. If most do, or most new purchasers are going for stitch regulated you might think it important to go this way too. I read that you didn't like the sr when you tried the Millennium last year. I would say try the Liberty you may like it more it has a very different feel to the Millennium.

Having said that if your budget doesn't run to a machine with a stitch regulator I think you should buy the best machine you can afford to get you started and if you want to, trade up later with the money you have earned!

Good luck

Sue in Australia

the way i see it is ( and feel free to correct me if i am wrong anyone) that the S/R enables each stitch to be the same size right? well i can achieve that with out that option on the machine and i didn't like the feel of the machine as it ran with the s/r on ....did that make sense? anyway i have no way to see the liberty in person as there is no dealer near me that i am aware of....and the area i live in is very competitive for the machine quilters either long or short arm and we don't speak to each other...i know that sounds crass but its just a fact.....thanks for all your help.....i appreciate it...now to find the money to get the new machine...i just might wind up keeping what i have if i can't get any money...but its nice to dream..

Hello

I used to think the same way you did when I did not have a SR machine. However, now that I have the best SR machine on the market I will tell you a few reasons why it has made me a better AND far less stressed quilter.

With a non SR machine you have to always be ready to hit that off button. That means you better be going slow as you are doing short little sid runs or you will hit that off switch a ga-zillion times just to do sid. I went through many switches during that time as they do not last very long. With a sr machine, you pause and change directions without having to hit a switch or button. Another benifit I found to the sr machine is I feel less pressure, I can stitch at my own pace without the stress of having to keep up with the machine. The machine keeps up with me and it feels mighty swell to have that much control over my quilting. I am far less stressed and enjoy the process way more then I ever did with a non sr machine. I use my SR 99.9% of the time sew I am unsure why you would say that it feels differant.

I hope all your dreams come true...mine sure did! :)

Sherry,

I don't do sid or custom work so that might be why i don't feel i need the S/R....and i have good control on my machine now and i don't feel that i have to keep up with it....plus the money is an issue so i really can't see me getting an S/R on the next machine....i think i was mostly turned off to it by the sound it made on the millie...not sure if that sound is on all the machines but i didn't care for it....thanks for the info tho it does give me something to think about....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Linda S

I've followed this thread along with great interest, as I am considering buying a new machine. I definitely want the S/R, so I'm down to considering the Millenium or the Liberty. I've read in a few forums that people like the bobbin thread cutter but don't use it that often, as they are still inclined to pull the bobbin thread through the top when they finish, but my questions are about the two different machine heads and how they affect your view from the front of the machine and what the channel locks are like.

I've noticed, after asking the question about whether the ergo arms were available on the Liberty, that they front of the machine head seems lots lower to the actual stitching area -- the woman running it in the picture seems to have her head cocked to the side -- is it hard to see straight-on? I do have some neck problems, so I wouldn't want to have the stitch by looking in from the side most of the time. Do the channel locks only come on the Millenium? I assume they are useful for straight line patterns if you don't have a Harley Fence -- is this correct?

I know about the other differences. I'm a bit of a cotton purist, so I'm not too worried about having enough throat space, but I am a little concerned about thread tension. Do those of you who use the King Tut cotton still have thread tension problems?

Ah, so much to know, such a little brain to squeeze it all into! ;)

Linda

Archived