another new arrival

Lenni arrived yesterday - all 7 boxes. took DH 6 hours on his own but by last night we have everything together except for the canvasses.Tried to post last night but i messed it up and deleted the message and was too tired to try again. Hopefully by this afternoon will be playing. thanks to Sue in Australia for putting up with my complaints when the wait got too long. I think real babies nearly take as long as this has.

janelle

Hi Janelle.... Oh, I\'m so tickled for you. There\'s nothing like going boing boing while getting geared up to go. I\'m putting the first "real" quilt on Penny (Lenni) tonight.. a Lone Star.. Just took a whole cloth panel which I\'d cut up into pieces or pictures and reassembled.. off.. its ok, but didn\'t call for much work.. was more playing with a lot of diff. threads.. and fun..

I too waited longer than I like, but it was well worth it. Hope you are playing up a storm by now!

RitaR

Janelle,

Congrats on your new baby! Let us know when you have "named" it!

I am curious as to how the assembly went for your hubby. I am especially interested to know if any part of the manual or assembly instructions were not clear, or if you have suggestions, since I am responsible for writing and "updating" them.

Let us know how things go when you\'ve had a chance to play!

;) Hey ladies, I am about to embark on the adventure of my own long arm with a limited budget. Hubby anounced to me 2 days ago that he was all for me getting one!!! Great hubby or what! Been thinking about the new Lenni. I\'d love input on this. I plan on going out to Des Moines today to explore the APQS and this option.

I\'m hoping it all goes well for you today.. Try them all, try to compare the actual features and apply them to the need you will want the machine for. If it\'s just for personal use then compare features and use verses prices.. It is such a big decision.. and I think I actually made the goal back when I was using the HQ and my Viking, though I\'ve dreampt about a long arm for many many years.

Just be happy with whatever your decision is. I\'d love the CQ, but for my age, area, that would be stretching it a lot unless I can get a rip roaring business going, like beyond my dreams.

Please let us know what you decide... I\'m anxious to hear.

RitaR

Hooray for another Lenni! I\'ve had mine for a few weeks and I\'ve practiced quite a bit. I\'ve done two small quilts freehand and one large quilt with a pantograph. I just love my Lenni and I have really appreciated the user guide I got with it. It\'s really for a Millie but I think most of it applies to the Lenni and I have used it on several occasions. Dawn, you sold me on the Lenni when my husband and I came to visit the showroom and I haven\'t regretted it for a minute.

Hi Kathy,

I\'m excited to hear that you are thinking about a Lenni! It is a super machine, just right for a home hobbyist who wants the advantage of throat space, a stitch regulator, and quality without paying a huge price.

I don\'t think the manual would be of much help to someone who doesn\'t own a machine, though, Kathy. A large portion is actually just "assembly" instructions, and then another section about what each button does, how to load a quilt to get started, etc.--pretty dry reading. I have included a few "beginning quilting" exercises to help new Lenni owners get comfortable with the machine as well.

I\'d be happy to answer any and all questions that you can think of about the machine or how to use it. If you already use a sewing machine and do any machine quilting on it, quilting with a Lenni will be great fun. The biggest difference that takes some getting "used to" is the idea that you will be moving the machine (like moving a pencil over a piece of paper) with Lenni. When quilting with a domestic machine, you move the quilt (so you\'re moving the "paper under the pencil").

Let me know what questions are on your mind. Fire away, and I\'ll do my best to answer them or find out the answer if I don\'t know.

And it goes without saying--if you can get to a local quilt show where Lenni will be on display, or can visit one of our reps with Lenni\'s or come to Des Moines, the best thing you can do is to "take a test drive." We\'ll help you discover which APQS machine is right for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, all. I am new to the board and was hoping someone had some input or suggestions about the Lenni. Any major drawbacks? Has it been around long enough to get any practical reviews? I am hoping to go to the Mid-Atlantic Quilt show next month. I don\'t know if they will have one there but was hoping to test drive some models. Thanks for any thoughts on the subject.

Penny

I\'ve had my lenni for 2 weeks now and I am very happy. I have quilted a sigle bed and a qeen sized quilt so far . I loaded a small childs quilt this morning. The first 2 I quilted free hand but this time I am going to make myself follow a panto. I purchased mine with the view to doing my own quilts and maybe one or two for friends. I dont have any ambitions for becoming a full time quilter. Any minor hitches have been dealt with very promptly. I previously had a domestic frame system with a DM attached so the way the system works wasnt foreign to me but I am rapt in the increased throat space and although I thought I didnt need a stitch regulator I am glad it\'s there.

Janelle

Sandra

The quilt I have on the frame at the moment is 18 inches into the body of the quilt and so it is wrapped around the roller a couple of times. at the moment I have 14.5 inches of quilting space so by the time you had a full quilt you might loose 1/2 to an inch more. With the handles that come with the lenni that is probably as far as you could reach anyway.

Janelle

sandra

the quilt is off the frame and is 5 foot long and at that stage the distance was down to 13.5 inches so my inital estimation is a little out by the end of a queen size quilt you would be down to about 12.5 inches which is still heaps better than the 2 inches I used to end up with.

Janelle

Hi Janelle,

Thanks for the responses. I have a New Joy frame with a Brother machine on it. It sounds like what you were previously using, as far as lack of space. I find myself not using it very often because of that reason- very frustrating.

I am saving for a LA and keep waving from a Lenni (but, I would like an 11 foot frame & I want a Circle Lord), or a Liberty...but now I am wondering if a Freedom SR would be better. I want to quilt for myself, at least until retirement, then who knows:) I want to do the smaller, more intricate designs and not a lot of pantos, so I am really still leaning towards a Liberty which is lighter than the Freedom/Millie.

Again, thanks for answering my questions.

Sandy

Sandy

A SR Freedom sounds good. I nearly jumped ship from geting a lenni after I had waited a couple of months and the freedom was my next choice. At the time I didn\'t think I needed the stitch regulator but now I have it I think it is invaluable as I tend to get stitches around curves as I give the machine an extra shove. You would need to get the single stich as well although it might be part of a stitch regulator. the weight might be a consideration if you have any arm,back , neck problems.

sue

I tried a panto out the other day-one with swirls and stars. i dont think i\'ll be a panto queen as I prefer to freehand with similar results. i also tried some SID but i should have taken the advice given and use monopoly as my first efforts were less than perfect but i had the tension right and didnt want to change threads.

janelle

Archived