How To Talk Hubby Into It

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I asked hubby if he wanted to go to a seminar with me and spend the night in a hotel...worked like a charm! We got into about 3 minutes of the seminar and he said, "Why do I suddenly feel like a sucker?" LOL I let Deloa convince him that starting a business and getting a LA was a wonderful idea. I just sat back and went along. :P:P:P

pencel,

We have a terrific Business Starter pack that we can send to you. It covers all the aspects that the guys are usually most interested in, such as:

[*] a sample business plan

[*] doing market research

[*] how many quilts one would need to do to "pay off the machine" (we call it a "return on investment)

[*] wholesale supplier names and information

[*] a customer consultation form

[*] realistic pricing strategies

We cover lots of this info at our seminars across the country, as well. Our sales staff is meeting today, as a matter of fact, to set locations for our traveling seminars for 2008. Give us a call or check the website for locations and dates.

In the meantime, if you\'d like a business starter pack to show your hubby, just let us know. We\'ll get him on the right path.

When all else fails, some quilters have had great success comparing a long arm machine to the "toys" guys often have to have, such as: motorcycle; fancy truck; expensive golf clubs; fishing/hunting boat and equipment; power tools... and how many of those can actually earn you money?:)

Hang in there...

Pencel, you have some great food for thought here, and really the only thing I can personally say is sort of let him think it was his idea....that you would be saving ALL THIS MONEY if you did your own quilts and made some money on the side instead of sending out yours to be done by some other professional. They sort of like to think they are in total control of the house, the money and you so let him.

Maybe he is one of those that hasn\'t realized that if "MOMMA is happy the house is happy" :)

LOLOL Just kidding. lol

Truely I kept Longarm quilting information all over the house for over two years. Everytime he saw me on the internet he would see me researching the machines. I read everything I could get my hands on and made sure he saw me doing it. I emailed other longarm quilters and they were generous enough to respond. Kept everything in a folder and he just saw that I was really serious. I took him to a quilt show and let him see my excitement. I would say things like " I really wish we could afford this to the sales lady". Maybe I could in a year or so. Got his pride involved. ( I know my husband very well) I would say as much as I would like one I would never ask you to spend that kinda money honey. It\'s ok maybe someday I can get one. Thank you looking at the machines with me." I would go back again and again. He just couldn\'t take it anymore. lololol

Pencel,

Lots of advice here, as usual, but you really need to tailor your approach to the relationship between yourself and your DH. Sometimes it\'s best if we let them think it\'s all their idea, and sometimes you just have to lay the facts in front of them and decide between you if it\'s the right investment - \'cause it\'s a big one! In money, time, space, all of that and more...

I\'m fortunate that my DH is willing to support me in whatever I choose to do. When I first starting thinking of doing this (OMG, less than a year ago!), we talked about it, and one of the things we agreed on was that I would rent time on quilting machines in the area, to see if this was something I could get good enough at to make some money, to make sure it wasn\'t too hard, physically, on this old bod;), and to see if it kept on being "fun." My DH\'s biggest worry was that it would be boring to do - little did he know!

We also sat down and figured out the practicalities of running this as a business: how many quilts per month would cover the out-of-pocket costs, how saturated is the area with LA quilters, do we have the room for a "quilting studio" or would we have to rent space, all sorts of considerations. The business packet from APQS is a good place to start, and there are all sorts of resources on the internet for information on running a longarm business. Best thing you can do is show your hubby that you\'re serious about this and want to make a go of it. Then let him decide to make you happy!!:P

Good luck!

Yep, I\'m no counselor...but I am full of advice!! Like some of the others have said, let them think it\'s their idea. Take them to the seminars, let them see all of the materials. Lay them around the house like Grammie Tammie said ;)

But, before you do all of that, make sure you do your homework. Find out the supply and demand in our area. Find out how many quilters you already have and how long their turnover is. You can call them, most will talk to you about it. Find out about the supply costs, classes you need to keep up on, etc. Make sure you know in your heart that you can do this. Not trying to discourage you in any way, but it does take hard work, determination, and dedication. You should be prepared to spend many, days and nights in the quilting room. When your family wants to do something, you may not be able to because of deadline obligations.

Just be prepared for all of this when you present this idea to your DH. If you do your homework, then you have ammo ;)

It was easy to get my DH on board when I told him I wanted a long arm, (originally I just wanted one for my personal use)..used guilt on him reminding him that I did gave birth to our 5 children and that I needed something for me since the kids always seemed to come first. His reply was if we get one than you will have to make it a business. So I started researching the business angle on it and approached him a few days later. He was suprised that the business thing didn\'t make me rethink wanting one of these machines...but since he said yes if I made it a business he couldn\'t take it back.

Guilt and malipulation works wonders with stuff like this as long as you pick your battles carefully and don\'t over play this card for every little thing, it works out really well.

This has been discussed many times, but why is it that we (women) feel the need to justify what a man might consider an expensive "toy" when that same man has a boat/motorcycle/sportscar/big tractor(my DH and we only have 2 acres!)/airplane(again my DH)/woodworking set-up/model trains,planes,automobiles/golf/bicycle/ RV/.....you get the picture.

None of these toys generate any income to speak of. And yet we (yes, me too!) feel the need to justify the purchase by starting a business to "pay it off". If that is what works and gets you your heart\'s desire machine, go for it! There will be pressure to get good enough and find enough customers at the onset so don\'t make promises that may be hard to keep.

I\'m just ranting with a giggle here! My DH knew I was getting a Millie when I came back from the seminar and started measuring every room to see which would work for a 12\' table. As I was measuring and eyeballing the guest room/computer cave, dear Dennis "found" an outbuilding that he and my BIL remodeled in two weeks for my studio. I am so happy and lucky to be where I am now--I have a dream machine (not quite "paid off") and a great place to quilt, a nice business and the best people in the world to meet and work for---quilters!!

Ok, I\'m done--sorry for the excitement--you need a machine and you know your DH best. You can figure out a way to both be happy. Good luck!!!

Linda, you always say things so perfectly! :)

Last night at dinner (DH has been out of town for a week) I "asked" him if it was OK if I went to MQS this year, and I started to explain all the "homework" I did to "sell" the idea to him (e.g. costs for hotel/preplanning the flights) and he stopped me in mid sentence and said "why do you need to ask me for permission? Just go!"

Wow!!! That was way easier conversation than I thought it would be... (Thanks, honey!!) :)

(that means I am coming to MQS this year!!!!) yaaay!

I started out with a small machine and hubby started seeing money come in. He liked that enough to "invest" in a better machine which has ended at the 4th machine that was a fabulous deal that I couldn\'t resist.

I hope you get a machine. There are a lot of great deals on used machines.

Michele

Wellllllll....... I started manhandling quilts.. we were living in an RV full time, and he basically has No hobbies/interests, so saw first hand what a pain it was, physically.. When I saw the HQ frame only, that seemed to be the great solution, we could store the table in the basement and he stored most of the pieces for the setup down there too. The sewing machine went under my closet in a small cubby.

Then when he saw the frustrations I was going thru by having so little stitching space at the end of a large throw or bed quilt, he finally agreed to the stretched model. When we had so much trouble with it, and he was missing too many of his tv programs trying to fix it, day after day after day, I began talking about $20,000.00 ro $25,000.00 to get a good machine and the "things to make it go good" and even after rebuilding and having a good running machine again, I kept it up. It only had on and off and speed control, no stitch control, and my "stylus"was a wood pencil taped to a thread post on the side of the machine. Need I say he kept saying No, No, No, until I suddenly "found" a good machine that didn\'t cost twice what our first house cost? Being a penny pincher when he wants, and very much a controler, it didn\'t take much to let him decide it really was a "Good Buy" and not very costly compared to others, fully loaded, of course. :o can\'t compare a basic machine with one fully loaded, but since he\'s not a quilter.. this time I was in control. Now my problem is to keep him out of the sewing room and forbid any tools be brought in. I will NOT let him start in on my Penny. "Make contact with that screwdriver and you die! Just try it! Go ahead! Is the Insurance paid up?" :P

Love my Penny Lenni.. RitaR

I like the argument that I heard a car salesman use "when would you ever enjoy it more." Men get boats, Harleys, snowmobiles, and more there is no big guilt or worry so why should we agonize over something that will bring us joy. I\'m 57 and I waited too long I wouldn\'t ever be able to do it. I say men don\'t agonize over if their boat or motorcycle will be a business then why should we agonize over whether our machine will make money. I say this if you can actually afford to purchase it. I say if you have to make payments you should be able to make the payments without considering any business income. then you get the machine for yourself if it develops into a business great if it doesn\'t you didn\'t miss out on doing your passion. If you are not passionate about doing it I say don\'t buy it. It\'s (the Machine) is a very big gold fish if you get my drift.

Mary Beth beat me to what I was going to say. If you plan to do this as a part time business, make sure the business is there and that people are willing to pay what you are going to have to charge to be successful. If you don\'t believe that go back and look at what a hard time I\'ve had. Just look at the number of used machines for sale on all the websites.

Like my daddy would say Don\'t jump in without making sure there\'s water in the pool

Originally posted by dtreusch

Being single, I didn\'t have to convince anyone!! :P

Debbi

Ditto.

I do some quilting for others but not a lot. That has something to do with little spare time. I work full time and just finished a 50 hour week. Can you say exhausted? However, I wanted to purchase this machine while I am still working and able to afford it.

Some day, when I retire, I plan on quilting for others part time to supplement my retirement income. I probably won\'t need to financially but the income will be nice and after working full time my entire adult life, I would probably be bored out of my mind without a "job".

I do agree with what others have said about the motorcycles, snowmobiles, boats, etc. When someone goes into cartiac arrest when I tell them what my beast cost, I just tell them that this is MY motorcycle or boat. They usually shut right up after that.

Ladies!

Thank you so much for all of your advise.

Bonnie~ You think he should know already that if Ma ain\'t happy no one is.

Tammie~ The two prong attack of quilt shows and annoyance is something I can be great at :)

Barb~ I think he is finally getting the pic that I AM serious about this.

Joann~ I think the business approach is great additional ammo.

Linda~ I love the GIRL POWER, or should I say woman power.

Michele~ Sex love and rock and roll! Yahoo I KNOW I can handle that.

Rita~ I think he will be a sucker for a good buy.

Cheryll~ I must think about myself first and the business as an added adventure.

One big problem is that he has no hobbies. We don\'t have any boats, motorcycles, golf stuff... but I will still bring it up as an argument.

Thank you ladies so much for all of your good advise. I am determined to make this work for me and have a long arm in 2008. I have stated and written down my goals so that is a good first step.

Continually Researching~ Lisa :D

How did my wife convince me? She didn’t have to. I don’t have that car, that boat, that motorcycle, or even that big screen TV. I have her, and her happiness makes me happy. That said, I did look at the cost and the resale value of used machines.

If I bought a new machine for 19K and things did not work out, how much would I be able to recover? Well….if the machine were a Gammel, I’d be looking at a fairly big hit. On the other hand, an APQS seems to hold its value quite nicely. I figured the worst case scenario would be a 5K loss on a two year old machine. When you compare that to a new car rolling off the lot, the 5K would be lost before the keys were handed over.

Personally, I think you should only buy the machine if you can afford the loss and then only use the machine as a tool to enhance your hobby. If residual income comes, it will be from working hard, honing your skills and showing your work at guild meetings and shows. From this, you will develop a customer base and eventually your hobby might develop into a business.

Archived