Batting Hobbs 80/20

I'm trying the first piece of Hobbs 80/20, on a quilt I have on the frame now. It is sooooo soft and warm and snuggly, and my breathing doesn't like it at all. I was, with hubbys help, able to get past the breathing problems and get it loaded on the machine. It doesn't seem to bother me as long as it isn't being moved around as in laying it out to cut down to size.. etc.. we have had 2 days of little batting puffs, dust bunnies is what it looked like, all over the living room carpet and one cushion of the dark blue sofa where we had it laid out and the scraps set aside. Found more in the laundry room and hall.. afraid to look at the sewing room floor.

Are these dust bunnies normal with this batting? Don't really know why I ask as I will seldom be using it, I hope. Hmm, I wonder if that is what caused the head-cold like symptoms.. Guess I'll need to use it one more time and see what happens..

What would be comparable to Hobbs 80/20 in texture and feel?

RitaR

Rita,

Wow, it sounds like it taken over your home. I have used this batting several times and never had a problem.... as yet anyway. After I take it out of the bag, I usually spread it out over my frame of the machine and let it rest over night or for several hours. I do this just to let it relax before I start quilting it. I hope this helps. So far I haven\'t seen that many dust bunnies.

Jean

Mille

I just finished a quilt that did the very same thing. Asked the customer what kind of batting it was, and she said she got it at Joann\'s. Didn\'t say what kind it was. It was the fuzziest, lintiest stuff. Left little batt bunnies all over my floor too. This batt was also covered with cat fur. I was glad to give it back to her and vacuum! It was very soft though.

A bunch of my customers gave me Fairfield as a batting in December. This is a poly/cotton blend also. My carpet looked like snow. It may have been subconscious from seeing all of the particles in the air, but I felt like I was having breathing problems too.

I turned on the air filter machine to help.

Also, if the backing was dark, it attracted the particles like a magnet. Thank goodness for Costco and their oversized lint rollers!

I will not even go into the "rant" about how stretchy this batting was....

But the quilts, when completed, were softer than cotton.

I use Hobbs 80/20 and Quilter\'s Dream Blend (70/30). I love Quilter\'s Dream anything. I don\'t have any kind of respritory problems so I can\'t speak about that problem.

If you have a tax id number you can buy Quilter\'s Dream wholesale from the company with no limit to the number of items. You can buy one package if you like or a whole roll.

My customer likes Fairfield and Morning Glory. I hate both, they stretch and rip with just the slightest movement.

I use Warm and Natural or Warm and White myself. I have a roll of Warm and White that is about half gone.

I used Hobbs a few times, and while I didn\'t have the experiences you are describing, I did find that it was very linty and I kept having to blow out the bobbin case to keep the lint away.

I have used Hobbs 80/20 for years with no problem with batting bunnies, lint or breathing problems (I have asthma).

I had it on a roll and the quality is better than in the bag.

I used the last of the roll yesterday. I have Quilters Dream 70/30. It does not have the loft on the Hobbs, but feels great. The closest to the loft I\'ve found is Quilters Dream Wool. Although I have not seen Quilters Dream Puff. I like the definition that Hobbs gives to my quilting and it really helps with B and C cup\'s in tops.

Sonja, Maybe that\'s been the problem: What I got was in a bag and not on a roll. Does the company do samples? I\'d like a sample of the roll batting to see how it does.

I haven\'t used Quilters Dream Puff, but I\'ve heard a lot of great things about it. I might order a package and try it. Does it come in black?

My customers seem to all use the Hobbs 80/20 both roll and in bags and while I have to frequently clean the bobbin area I don\'t have the lint and dust bunnies you had. Also the batting they bring me is not soft and cuddley until after it is in the quilt, lol. It feels scratchy and a bit harsh to me.

I DO have allergies, househole dust bunnies (mites) being my #1 allergy. I would say, there is something "IN" that product that you may be allergic to, or...the product sat "open" for a while, and it possibly contained dust mites, and maybe you are allergic to those as well.

I keep all of my materials enclosed in containers to prevent dust from setting on them.

**just giving you something to think about**

Hello qulters.. I am finally back from the world of internet problems and unrecognized passwords..

I so appreciate all your answers. This H 80/20 was in a package from Joanns. I have allergies, asthma, emphazema/COPD.. The allergies is one thing I can work around. I do have a cold, and the puffs were after I came down with the cold.. still, this stuff really choked me up. I think I will switch to Quilters Dream. I have several samples we got when we went to the seminar, and the only black I see in the pack is Poly Dream. They say it\'s available in Request, Select and Deluxe.. Deluxe is the puffier.

thank you all for the replies.. hints, tips, information.. I really wondered. We think we have all but a few dust bunnies in the sewing room under control. It is stitching up just so pretty.

RitaR

Thanks Rita.

I sent an email to the QD people, asking for samples and wholesale prices. I\'m waiting to here back from them.

Just got back from making the hour each way drive to buy a package of batting at Hancocks. They had their brand and Hobbs 80/20. That was all they had in packages. I bought the Hobbs. We\'ll see how it does.

Teresa,

I just opened a wholesale account with Quilter\'s Dream and placed an order. In addition to my rolls of Poly, Wool, and Midnight, I was going to order one twin package of Puff to try out. But, the nice lady pointed out that the shipping on one package was almost as much as the batting itself! She is sending me some scrap samples free of charge :). So, yes, great they don\'t have a minimum order, but be careful of the shipping on individual packages.

Jen

If you read the label for FairField, guess what? It is made by Mountain Mist. I tried it and wasn\'t overly impressed with it either.

I do like Hobbs 80/20 and just tried Quilter\'s Dream which I also liked.

I didn\'t notice any dust bunnies but it could be that they just blended in with my other dust bunnies. You know, the ones about the size of my cats. :o

LOL Gail, be careful of those kitty sized dust bunnies, they can pick up pins and needles, too.

Sherry, if you get some Lavender Oil at a Health Food Store, and put a couple drops in a cup of water, put in a make up mist bottle, it will keep the dust mites off your pillow. I just give the pillow a light mist every morning on both sides. I don\'t have nearly the night breathing problems I use to, since I started doing that.

RitaR

I just finished a quilt with Fairfield 80/20. Yucko! It was so stretchy and couldn\'t be repositioned without supporting the whole batt--it was queen size. I ended up with very thin stretched spots outside the borders from trying to smooth and re-position the batting. It was a natural color with no scrim and I have tan colored dust bunnies everywhere still! It is on my "will not accept" list now.

As we speak I have a quilt on the frame that was made with poly/cotton blend fabrics (top and back) and my needle makes a "pop" sound everytime it goes in and out of the fabric. Plus, she gave me Mountain Mist 100% poly batting - can I just say - Ick!! I am not having a good time today. Lucky for me, it is about a twin size so the torture won\'t last long :)

Linda,

I just unwrapped the same Fairfield batting you talked about in your post. Yucko is an understatement. The picture I posted is the front of my hooded jacket. I just removed this batting from the dryer and carried it 15 feet to my machine. I only left it in the dryer for about 3 minutes because I was afraid the lint trap would fill up with the batting and there would be nothing left!!

I was thinking of not handling batting any more...changed my mind. I don\'t think people just don\'t understand batting.

A good subject to teach at the next guild meeting you all attend would be Batting 101

post--13461899042344_thumb.jpg

Batting or no, dust is a big issue at my house. It\'s EVERYWHERE! I keep an air filter running full time in my studio under my table. I vacuum it out about once a month and replace the filter completely twice a year.

Our furnace is down here in the basement with me too. Keeps me warm but I\'ve been concerned about whether or not it\'ll add more dust and fumes to my studio so I replace the filter on it every month it\'s in use instead of the 3 months recommended on the package.

Swiffer, vacuum, lint roller, static reducer spray, those little dust picker-upper wipes. I use it all and the dust has no end. It\'s a daily battle. My allergist says the only place in the world I can go to get away from it completely is to go live on a cruise ship. :D okay, maybe!

God Bless You!

Quilter\'s Dream samples - the company was nice enough to send me 2 bags of sample for our quilt show. I still have about 20 left. U2U me if you would like me to send you one of these samples by mail.

QD was just running a special $20 shipping for a roll of QD cotton deluxe for west coasters. What a good deal. Though the UPS guy may not have thought that it was such a good deal after he had to climb up my steps with that roll. LOL :P

Teresa, yes QD has a black. They call it Midnight Dream Poly and it is wonderful.

RitaR - I also have breathing problems but did not notice it when I used Hobbs. Maybe you just got an old bag that was starting to break down from getting too much sun. Wait a minute, that sounds like a description of me: an old bag that got too much sun and is falling apart. :D :D :P

I have a friend that loves Hobbs and I know it feels so wonderful once quilted. But I don\'t want to be the one who quilts it. ;) I know that lots of folks rave about Hobbs 80-20 but I don\'t like it. It reminds me of attic insulation because it looks like the cotton was blown onto the scrim. My hands are so rough in the winter that the stuff just sticks to my hands. It feels like a spider web to me. I do like the QD Blend 70-30, very soft and consistent.

I wrestled with that Joann\'s batting on 2 quilts when I was first getting started. It won\'t take a tug and seems to bunch up. I was not happy with the way the quilt looked afterwards and did not like the idea that it had my name on it. If my customers don\'t buy their batting from me, they can buy it from our LQS (only quality stuff) or they can take their quilt to somebody else. I want to spend my time making a beautiful quilt, not picking lint off my shirt.

Ok, it has been such a relief to me, to know others have had the same problem. MaryBeth, increase the dust bunnies on your sweatshirt about 3 or 4 times, and put them on a navy sofa..

Also the fluff does look like blown in insulation, though a bit finer.. and definately more "flighty" with any motion, or breeze.. still finding some under the quilter.. and in the laundry. Sneeze, sneeze,, "NO MAM you cannot have Hobbs 80/20 in my house or your quilt UNLESS you take it to someone else!" ..

RitaR

Archived