How to...deal with off-center leaders

Teri

When I had my Ultimate 1 machine head, I installed zippers (Quick Zip System from Sue Schmieden's "The Quilting Connection." After I replaced the Ult 1 with the Liberty, the centers of the zippers from Roller 1 to Roller 3 did not match any more. I am wondering what the easiest or most accurate way is to match up the centers. I'm not too keen on taking off the canvas and moving it over the inch or so it needs. I don't know if simply making a new center line on one side will keep the zippers square or parallel. Any ideas? Teri

Teri: I don't use zippers so my response is probably a goofy one but . . here goes.

My leaders stretched so I used my laser tool from Black & Decker and made myself a new line and just folded under the leader (kinda like hemming it) so my center mark was gone but what I do now is just pull the leader out a little, lay it on the table and there's the center line where the two pieces of Lexan come together. That's the center mark I use and I no longer worry about where the center is on the leaders. I do that with the backing and the quilt top.

Now . . for you newer people who haven't stretched your leaders yet, here's my advice. When you're not using the machine, if you leave a quilt loaded (if any of you sleep or have a life and have to do other things besides quilt!:(), loosen the tension on your rollers and you'll probably not end up with stretched leaders.

Hi Teri,

I got the ripstop nylon zippers, and oohhh what a mistake that was. They're on, but I've had to do some re-calculating because they're off center.

I spent an entire week putting them on, with no help from the vendor (she was non sympathetic to the issue and just didn't understand it, really).

I now just know they're about an inch off, and load and quilt accordingly. If I got on a machine with straight zippers, I'd probably end up with a cockeyed quilt, I'm so used to accomodating the offage.

I suppose someday I'll take these darn zippers off and get canvas ones, but for now I can use my time trying to catch up on my quilting.

Hope that helps,

Deb

Millie

Hi Deb, your zipper installation sounds like a bad dream! It's too bad you didn't get any help from the vendor. I know what you mean about fudging and compensating! As long as you know where to put your quilts and it keeps the quilt square, you are wise to just stick with what you've got to deal with!

Judy, your center line of the table sounds like a great way to line up a quilt center! You have lots of good ideas.... I really like the Pledge idea, too. I put a bit of the Meguire's cleaner wax on my rails tonight and it was instant oxidation. I'll let it dry and wipe it off tomorrow. Then I might try to seal the surface with a little Pledge.

Tomorrow's my birthday and I hope to do a little quilting along with going to a friend's new house to visit and going out for lunch with quilting buddies....

• 1 year later...

Archived