Anyone need a great big grin???

Jeanette

If so you are invited to my house. We keep a small flock of sheep and the first lambs of the year were born about two hours ago. We have been standing in the barn just grinning like fools watching the attempts to get up on all fours. The ewe lamb is up and at the snack bar already but her baby brother is still knuckle walking on the knees and he heads the right direction for the snacks but overshoots and pops out the other side. Poor little fella. His mom is encouraging him with hums and grunts and licks so he will eventually figure it out. In a week they will be out running and hopping and bucking. Nature is just so awesome! I never get tired of watching the lambs, they are the best cure in the world for a dreary rainy day.

The baby critters are what I miss MOST about the ranch I was raised on....spring time was so special, and a lot of work, but it was so much fun watching the little guys run and play. And in the cow families to see who was going to get babysitting duties for the day, so the others could go graze and then come back later.

Yes, Jeanette if you could send a photo for those of us who need a critter fix I would love to see it also.:)

Oh Jeannette,

Thanks for taking me back to childhood and adolescence, and the reminder of why I live in the city! Cute little lambies are adorable, as are all babies. However, having to check the sheep to see if anyone was in labor and having trouble, hauling hay no matter the weather. Bummer lambs in a box in the kitchen drinking forumla out of beer bottles with a nipple attached. Oh, those were the days that I am so glad to be rid of!

Beth

Beth I\'m not sure which is worst....lambs in the box or baby piggys in the box on the inside back porch, those little guys can be really noisey. We always hand fed the orphans or when there weren\'t enough dinner places, and when it was lunch time....man they sure let everyone know what time it was day or night.

I remember those old days too. Now it is a hobby and not a necessity and we have new well-lighted barns with stalls of rice straw for the new mommies. The years supply of hay is in the barn by late September. We\'ve bred and culled our girls for mothering ability and in the past 12 years of keeping records we have lost one lamb at birth and only had three bummers:-) Those were because moms had triplets and we would pull the smallest one to bottle feed. I give the bummers to my friend who raises and handfeeds goats to sell as pets. In the past I have had my share of orphan piglets, lambs, calfs and even a foal one time. Right now our Yellow Lab is up at the barn just begging to get in and kiss the babies. Funny thing is the ewes will let her but they would roll our Dobie right down the hill for even looking their way. They seem to know that Sadie won\'t hurt the babies.

post--13461899069835_thumb.jpg

Jeanette, is that "little guy"on the right.. too funny he looks as though he\'s watching sis and Mom and thinking, "women!" the one beside Mom is standing a pose almost identical to Mom. Love that.

Soo cute.. would be a ball to watch . Thanks for Sharing.

RitaR

LOL, not to diss the fellas here but yes the little idjit on the right with the floppy ears is the boy baby. I can almost always tell at first glance the boys from the girls. The boys are slower to get up, their ears stayed smashed for several days and they get that big eyed stare and try way harder than their sissies to do the same thing:-) The little girls are more nimble right away, the boy babies are kinda slow and lazy. I have seen them at a couple of months when sissie would run up to mom, give a few quick head butts on the snackbar get a few quick swallows and take off to play again while the boy baby would stand 20 feet away and bellow for his mother to bring the snackbar to him! This happens about every hour. We call them \'Snack\'n\'Goes\' at this stage.

Archived