Karen McTavish Inspired

Hi All,

I have been crazy trying to get this quilt done and oh I love it just as much as the day I started drafting it! I hardly know where to begin. I started looking through my magazines for a baby quilt and as I usually do for baby breezed through my Sew Beautiful magazines. My mind went crazy when I saw the center embroidery design and I instantly started designing my quilt. I knew it was going to be an heirloom so I of course went to Karen\'s books...I have them all except for the White work book (please republish!). Anyway I got PreDesign software for Christmas so thats where I started. I pulled in a few of Karen\'s design elements and went to work. I had to redraft the feather in the background area so that it would fit the odd shape. I knew right away that I would do a heart border and the idea to scallop it came later. I added a some lace shaping to this quilt to see how I would like combining that techique with my quilting and I have to say I love it! The pattern design is all my own idea.

The center motif is called Shadow Embroidery and done all by hand using 1 strand of DMC floss with many, many, many color changes!

I started drafting this quilt the day after Christmas and was done with my master pattern on New Year\'s Day. My son came to visit that day so I was able to work on the embroider which I got done 2 days before he left. The day he left I marked the top, 5 hours just to do that!

Finally the quilting process! I was able to get it off the frame Sat. night and then did the binding. I\'m so thrilled with it.

I used Sharon Shamber\'s machine adjustments and I just love the result. I did not use a ruler at all! Like Sherry, I made a big a-- base and oh that is just wonderful! I will eventually make a queen size of this pattern using a different center motif of course! I hope you enjoy the pics!

Oh and I have to say a special THANK YOU to Rita who listened to me gush about this quilt non-stop for the last month!!!!

post--13461899089667_thumb.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh baby, that is nice!! Simply stunning.

Great use of Pre-design. Were you able then to pring the pattern full size? Pre-design is on my list of wants and I\'m taking the class at MQS. Now I\'m thinking I may purchase it before then and play around with it for another wholecloth I have going.

Question.... I have a scallopped border on mine that is posted on another thread. I\'ve never put on scalloped binding. I know it has to be bias, but how do you do the inside points of each scallop? Thanks!!

Debbi

Thanks Debbi & Mary Beth. I\'m sorry I keep playing with the pictures and decided that I\'ll leave the big one up because any smaller and I loose all the detail.

Debbi - yes you do use bias binding. I stitched right to the point, lifted the presser foot, pivoted, and then kept sewing. The miters will just fall into place when you turn the binding to the back. I stitched each miter down by hand, front and back and I only had to coax a few. Just do a practice piece. I love doing scalloped bindings.

Debbi,

Go to Sharon\'s website. They are all free videos! She had her hubby make her a base and I made mine. My hubby thought I was nuts but it worked! I just went to Lowes and bought a piece of 18 x 24 1/4" plexiglass. I had then cut it into 3 pieces - 1 12" x 24" and then (2) 3" x 24" pieces. Hubby took one of the 3" pieces and cut it in half and made the legs that straddle the machine head just like the base expander. I kept the original base expander on and put my big a-- base behind that! It worked perfectly. I had 3 different bags...actually I used 2 bags of dry beans and 1 that is a heat wrap. I didn\'t want to stop what I was doing so I\'ll definitely make the rice bags. I will make mine about 2" wide by 24" and have a 1 pound, 2 pound and 3 pound. That should be plenty.

Originally posted by hmerrill

snip I just went to Lowes and bought a piece of 18 x 24 1/4" plexiglass. I had then cut it into 3 pieces - 1 12" x 24" and then (2) 3" x 24" pieces. Hubby took one of the 3" pieces and cut it in half and made the legs that straddle the machine head just like the base expander. I kept the original base expander on and put my big a-- base behind that! It worked perfectly. snip

Do you have photos of your finished base? I am a visual soul and need to see to "get it".

Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous, btw!!!!!!!!!

Archived