I've trapped a wrinkle in my quilt. Help!!

Okay, here's a new one (for me). I've got a huge (for me) quilt on the frame. Three colors thread, so at least 3 many passes. Batik top and back, plus some white. QD 70/30 batting, running sideways 'cuz of size (fold running perpendicular to the rollers--not typical for me.) I usually can smooth out the wrinkles as I go, but they're running side ways now. The batting is smooth at the outside edges, but I've trapped a wrinkle in the middle which I only noticed when I went back to make a pass in another color. This is not a fluffy quilt, it's heavily quilted, and the batik is not helping me move the batting around. The wrinkle is more than a foot long and runs under a white section as well. I really screwed up on the first pass clearly, but now what can I do. Help!!!

Will try to come back with a picture.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am assuming this batting was on a roll, but either way, do you pop it in the dryer to get the wrinkles out before using it? I have started doing that and it seems to help. Seems like when it is on a roll, the closer you get to the roll the more creases there are in the batting.

I don\'t know how to help at this point, but someone will....hang in there.

OK--this really stinks! Before you frog for the next week--have you tried wetting it or steaming it and smooshing it with your fingers? Off the top of my head I can\'t come up with anything else to try:(, but I hate frogging so much that I\'d try that first. Be careful you don\'t make the quilt top get all wonky though.

Jill Kerekes

Marty,

I know you said the batiks aren\'t letting you manipulate the batting, but could you unpick just a little of the seam next to the wrinkle and reach in with a long stylus or something and move the batting around? Don\'t know if it\'ll work - just reaching here.....

Good luck and keep us posted - we\'re rooting for you!

I\'m with Heidi now that I have seen the pictures....do you have a very very thin crochet hook that you can get in there at maybe a seam and pull the wrinkle into another area or to get it to move abit, even if no more than to break up the biggest part of the lump.

With all your quilting I sure would do as the others have said and try your best to get it to move....and if all else fails then face the "Frogging"...but I would try to get something in there to move it that won\'t displace the top fabric.

Thank you all!!! It\'s so nice to feel "not alone." I\'ve been working it, just as suggested, and in the light blue, I\'ve got about half of it gone. In the white, I have two wrinkles instead of one. Enough to give me hope.

No, I haven\'t put batting in the dryer before, but it looks like I will in the future. Yes, I know what you mean, the wrinkles get worse as you get closer to the center. But this roll seems to have more wrinkles out farther. I think it got a little caddywompus in the rolling or something. I\'ve never wanted to before, because I like the post-quilting shrinking, but compared to this, "bag that."

I wondered about taking some steam to it, but don\'t know just how to work it while steaming without burning myself. May try that next.

I\'m kind of afraid to roll down and see if I missed any other wrinkles. You know I should have known something was coming, cus the edge of the batting didn\'t stay straight, it veered in to the point I worried that I hadn\'t loaded it straight (though I had, at the top anyway. (I float batt and top). Sigh. Gonna go get the iron and charge it up.

I thought about unsewing some seams, but wouldn\'t you know it, those seams are nice and tight and beautiful now. Nothing I want to mess with.

It\'s a new customer, trusting me with high end (read "pricey") quilting. Dang it. It had me scared from the start!!!

thanks for all the help so far. Anything else, I\'d sure appreciate!!!

Will keep you posted.

Marty,

After I roll I always give the batting a little tug so that I can work out any wrinkles that might have gotten where they don\'t belong. Ask me how I know! On one batt I was having a terrible time so I use a heavy duty paint rolling stick and wrapped my batting around it and just laid it on the floor. As I rolled the quilt forward it kept the right tension on the batting so that I didn\'t have that problem.

Well, the needling and the steam iron helped a lot. It\'s not perfect, but then all those needle holes from frogging wouldn\'t have been either.

Lessons learned: batting in dryer, paint stick to weigh the batting, lavender in the steam is very soothing, crochet hook for moving batting, remember to consider the big picture as well as the small (so much sweat over whether my back-track on my feathers lined up that I didn\'t consider the smoothness of the blocks I wasn\'t quilting at the time.)

And number one lesson that I learned? I really should pin baste every four inches as I move down the quilt. Thanks, Dawn, I really do understand now!!!

Thanks everybody. I will post pictures when it\'s quilted, but now I gotta take DD to the dentist. So glad I\'m not packing frogging to do while there!!!

Marty,

Way to go on getting the wrinkles under control. I think the big one left I would try to get up closer to that seam...it is a really dark piece so it will hide it even better. Just remember when there is a will there is a way!

The paint stick does add just the right tension and it didn\'t get in my way. The other thing I like is that it kept the batting straight and if I got up under it on my stool I didn\'t seem to get it all messed up! Great way to control a queen top! My paint stick is adjustable too so I can make it as long or short as I need and I don\'t have to find a storage place for it when I\'m not painting!

Archived